all posts post new thread

Barbell Confused with Low Bar Back Squat Form?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@bflare When I started Weightlifting one of the first things I was taught was how to fail safely. Then later we had a mentoring program where we would work with younger and novice lifters, along with our coach. It was drilled into us to teach trainees to bail on a bad rep safely as to not try to save a comprised Lift and get injured(you save that for competition). Bad makes happen but do not help, and even may set you back. Most coaches and lifters overlook this fundamental skill.

@Steve Freides I am biased, I hate the High Bar Squat. I am not in a habit of hating things, and I do not take the word lightly. I have given the High Bar Squat a far test at least twice over the years. I do not see the point for training purposes. If you compete in a max squat, a high bar Goodmorning Squat may be the way to go, but for us mortals Deadlifts will fill that role.

For someone who is hyper mobile, even though I do not know specifically what that means, I would assume they would have a rock solid bottom position.

Goblet Squats are a core exercise, stretch, and activation drill for for me. It all depends on how you preform them.

Last edited:
@bflare

Check out @Pavel Macek 's video from this morning on this forum. Great tips on how to set up under the bar with torso tightness.

I think the issue with bodyweight squats is they don't teach you how to brace under the bar.

Remember, no matter what everyone else in the gym is doing, there is no shame in squatting with bar only until this tightness and core rigidity feels natural, you are also less likely to do an injury with light load.

Goblet squats, particularly prying ones (google it) with a light weight will really improve hip mobility.

Is hypermobile when people can easily hyperextend and dislocate joints?

Thanks for your reply. Yes hypermobile is exactly what you said although I do not discolate & as @Steve Freides said I do not think my hips are that mobile especially my right side which I think is causing some of the problems?

Your biggest issue with your low bar squat is a glaring lack of torso tightness.

Yes, I do not feel tight at all. When following the SS style squat this gave me the impression that your chest should be pointing towards the ground so I wasn’t keeping my chest up. Also, the looking down does not appear to help me. Last week I tried looking slightly up & this seemed to help with my back rising at the same time as my hips. The SS videos also make a point of the hip drive which I think I previously concentrated on too much & neglected my torso rising at the same time. Thanks for your reply.

When following the SS style squat this gave me the impression that your chest should be pointing towards the ground
A mistaken impression. If by "SS style squat" you mean the goblet squat taught in the book, the goal is "big chest" and to be upright.

-S-

A mistaken impression. If by "SS style squat" you mean the goblet squat taught in the book, the goal is "big chest" and to be upright.

-S-

I believe he is talking about Starting Strength. What it teaches and what everyone's impressions of it are are another matter.

I believe he is talking about Starting Strength. What it teaches and what everyone's impressions of it are are another matter.

@Steve Freides sorry Steve I did mean Starting Strength.

@Antti Yes it appears that there are a lot of different views. I did think that the only way was the Starting Strength way but now I am not too sure.

I would just like to add that Sunday was when the first video was taken. This is where I concentrated on keeping my chest up & looking forward instead of down. Also, I tried bringing my chest up at the same time as my hips. Since Sunday my glutes & top of my hamstrings have been really sore. This is not normal for me. Normally my quads are sore after squatting. Does this indicate anything? Thanks.

I would just like to add that Sunday was when the first video was taken. This is where I concentrated on keeping my chest up & looking forward instead of down. Also, I tried bringing my chest up at the same time as my hips. Since Sunday my glutes & top of my hamstrings have been really sore. This is not normal for me. Normally my quads are sore after squatting. Does this indicate anything? Thanks.

All of your squat problem can be solved by you deciding to brace your torso adequately, as you discovered when you worked at it. Bringing your heels in a hair will make it easier to shove your knees out and hold them out.

The ability to stay tight and dominate a 140lb bar cannot be built with Goblet squats and certainly not with air squats. Regardless of squat style you choose, you will have to have to decide you're going be immovable under the load.

On soreness: soreness tells you you did something, the thing you did had an eccentric muscle action, and that you don't do that thing very often. That's it.

@Geoff Chafe, I am not big high-bar back squat fan, either. I prefer to barbell front squat, bodyweight-ish weights only, and not in Oly shoes, because I find it's very good for my mobility in a few different areas. If I'm doing a three-lift PL meet, then I'm going to low-bar back squat.

-S-

I prefer Front Squats and Zercher Squats also. Far more benefit for my wants and needs. I have not Back Squatted much in the last two years, but I am an Olympic style Squatter and Deadlifter. I Squat in shoes because I need them for depth and to compensate for ankle flexibility. I also wear shoes if I do Push Press, Jerk, or Odd Object Training.

I never Low Bar Back Squat. I tried it for cycles and it is not for me, but I know the benefits.

I am biased, I hate the High Bar Squat. I am not in a habit of hating things, and I do not take the word lightly. I have given the High Bar Squat a far test at least twice over the years. I do not see the point for training purposes. If you compete in a max squat, a high bar Goodmorning Squat may be the way to go, but for us mortals Deadlifts will fill that role.

Did you mean to say you hate LOW bar squats? Because I definitely dislike low bar squats. They are hard on my shoulders and, like you mentioned, I do deadlifts, RDLs, and swings, so I really don't need another posterior-chain dominant movement.

You have all the mobility needed to squat correctly, either high of low bar. I'm not sure what people are seeing, but you're fine.

What you're doing is not the starting strength model of low bar squatting. That being said, what are your goals?

No need to correct to many things at once, the something thing you could do would be to post another video from the side. You look down about 6ft in front of you, this maintains a nuetral cervical spine. Get your hips back and push your knees out. What you're looking for at the bottom are a lengthing of the hastings and abbductor muscles. This happens by sitting back, not down, as well as keyring your shins more vertical. Also, at the bottom, when you reverse back up make sure your knees are not sliding forward. Simple fixes for now. Film that and post.

One more thing, by sitting back you will feel the rebound out the bottom position. It won't be below parallel. You'll be at parallel most likely. This is fine and what your looking for. If you go lower you'll tuck your butt, loose tension in the hammer and f*** it all up.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom