Day 5 (Squat emphasis)

A1) Jumps x3,3,3,3,3
A2) 52 kgs ,LBS x 5, FS x 5, OS X 5
104 kgs LBS x 5, HBS x 5,
FS - 104 kgs x 3, 6
A3) Worlds Greatest Stretch
B1) Dips- BW x 10, 10 kgs x 10, 20 kgs x 11
B2) Bw rows x 15,15, 20

Wasn’t sure if I would squat heavy today but tested it out. Front squats were feeling strong and succeeded in getting a Pr set of 6 with previous 5 RM. felt I still had a few reps leftover but no need to rush. Slow and steady does it. High frequency training isn’t always easy and a lot of firing from the hip is necessary but seeing lifts move up is gratifying. My accessories are moving well too. Dips also improved though they were a bit awkward with these blocks. Though my programming mixes a lot of philosophies, it’s yielding what I’d hoped for. Strength gains with little to no size increases. I’ve always been impressed with guys who look very modest but move great weights. I believe I’m headed this way with this training. I have no doubt, though, a little more mass would bump up my lifts but it’s just not feasible right now. I don’t have the money to eat to the point that size gains require for myself. So this’ll do for now.

Front Squats

Dips

Nice to see you train and do well.

Why do you do the press behind the neck with less range of motion instead of starting each rep from the traps?

What do people in France eat for size gains? Are milk, (fresh) cheese, eggs, etc expensive over there? Of course, I get it, when things are tight they are, but I'm just interested what the bodybuilding cuisine, so to say, is like in a country with such developed culinary institutions.

Nice to see you train and do well.

Why do you do the press behind the neck with less range of motion instead of starting each rep from the traps?

What do people in France eat for size gains? Are milk, (fresh) cheese, eggs, etc expensive over there? Of course, I get it, when things are tight they are, but I'm just interested what the bodybuilding cuisine, so to say, is like in a country with such developed culinary institutions.

Thank you @Antti ! I do the BTN press with less ROM mainly because my shoulders would hate me if I go to neck but also because this bar is quite short and my elbows are apt to knock the plates off!

Well it’s funny because in Paris you don’t see many “jacked” physiques. The way of eating here is quite different than the US, where proportions rule. In the US, you could buy an omelette macked out with potatoes, eggs, sausages, bacon and cheddar for the same price as a petit dejeuner which here constitutes an espresso, orange juice and a croissant or pain du chocolat... it is well documented here that the French take their time eating, it is a ceremony and ritual that’s appreciated. Food is savored and not scarfed down. Flavor rules over proportions and 20 E will get you a very carefully produced entrecôte with a small serving of veggies and a carb (potatoes or frites) but still leaves you hungry afterwards. Needless to say, people in Paris are generally very slim. Add to the fact that most people walk, jog, and apartments usually don’t have elevators. Likewise, Paris is much more accommodating to smaller framed folks, as restaurants, corridors are often narrow. I usually have a hard time going to bathrooms in restaurants because the little spiral staircases leading to them are so cramped and if you run into a person going the other way, one of you has to turn back so both can get through. Bulking is not in people’s minds as it doesn’t really fit the fast pace city life style of Paris. The crowd in the metro as well gets quite packed.

As far as food goes, restaurants are still closed for in dining at the moment so I mostly cook at home. Eggs are a large source for me, as well as chicken, ground beef and milk. I usually buy my own groceries and cook at home and my meals generally consist of the same things. Ie bulk items like eggs, meats, oatmeal, veggies, bananas and rice or pasta. So for breakfast it’s usually a few eggs with spinach, onions, mushrooms and cheese with oatmeal and a banana. Dinner is usually something like pasta or rice with the same veggies and a meat. I’ll usually throw in eggs with it as well. Basic but keeps me alive!

Last edited:
Thank you @Antti ! I do the BTN press with less ROM mainly because my shoulders would hate me if I go to neck but also because this bar is quite short and my elbows are apt to knock the plates off!

Well it’s funny because in Paris you don’t see many “jacked” physiques. The way of eating here is quite different than the US, where proportions rule. In the US, you could buy an omelette macked out with potatoes, eggs, sausages, bacon and cheddar for the same price as a petit dejeuner which here constitutes an espresso, orange juice and a croissant or pain du chocolat... it is well documented here that the French take their time eating, it is a ceremony and ritual that’s appreciated. Food is savored and not scarfed down. Flavor rules over proportions and 20 E will get you a very carefully produced entrecôte with a small serving of veggies and a carb (potatoes or frites) but still leaves you hungry afterwards. Needless to say, people in Paris are generally very slim. Add to the fact that most people walk, jog, and apartments usually don’t have elevators. Likewise, Paris is much more accommodating to smaller framed folks, as restaurants, corridors are often narrow. I usually have a hard time going to bathrooms in restaurants because the little spiral staircases leading to them are so cramped and if you run into a person going the other way, one of you has to turn back so both can get through. Bulking is not in people’s minds as it doesn’t really fit the fast pace city life style of Paris. The crowd in the metro as well gets quite packed.

As far as food goes, restaurants are still closed for in dining at the moment so I mostly cook at home. Eggs are a large source for me, as well as chicken, ground beef and milk. I usually buy my own groceries and cook at home and my meals generally consist of the same things. Ie bulk items like eggs, meats, oatmeal, veggies, bananas and rice or pasta. So for breakfast it’s usually a few eggs with spinach, onions, mushrooms and cheese with oatmeal and a banana. Dinner is usually something like pasta or rice with the same veggies and a meat. I’ll usually throw in eggs with it as well. Basic but keeps me alive!

Sad to hear that your shoulders can't take the longer ROM. I hadn't looked at the bar that way but yes, it is short.

Compared to the US, did you see more "jacked" physiques there? I wouldn't say they're common here in Finland. Like the gym or two I frequent, I can count on the fingers on my one hand all the guys who look like bodybuilders, and it doesn't take much more to count out the strong guys. Looking at it like that, it actually makes me happy that it seems performance is more popular than looks. However, it doesn't tell me how the typical trainee who fails to achieve either would like to be.

I'm a big eater, if you couldn't tell, and I'd hate the small portions! That said, I'm not sure if the overindulgence in the US is that good either in the long run.

I cook mostly at home as well. And it sounds like we have the same basic ingredients. They're affordable, convenient and with a little bit of skill they'll be tasty. What else could you need for size gains?

Sad to hear that your shoulders can't take the longer ROM. I hadn't looked at the bar that way but yes, it is short.

Compared to the US, did you see more "jacked" physiques there? I wouldn't say they're common here in Finland. Like the gym or two I frequent, I can count on the fingers on my one hand all the guys who look like bodybuilders, and it doesn't take much more to count out the strong guys. Looking at it like that, it actually makes me happy that it seems performance is more popular than looks. However, it doesn't tell me how the typical trainee who fails to achieve either would like to be.

I'm a big eater, if you couldn't tell, and I'd hate the small portions! That said, I'm not sure if the overindulgence in the US is that good either in the long run.

I cook mostly at home as well. And it sounds like we have the same basic ingredients. They're affordable, convenient and with a little bit of skill they'll be tasty. What else could you need for size gains?
Thank you. My shoulder probably could on a longer bar. My arms are just quite long and with BTN, there’s not as much leeway at the elbow as there is in the regular press.

I certainly see more bigger folks in the US. But at the same time, I’ve never been to a gym in Paris!! I’m sure they’re there somewhere...people really like calisthenics here though. At the park, I see a lot of people doing handstands, practicing planches and front levers, muscle ups. Haven’t seen a full planche yet, but a few freestanding HSPUs.

I’d have to eat quite a bit more to gain weight...it’s not easy for me to gain right now, mostly because I walk quite a bit and although I feel my diet is healthy, I’d have to eat more of it. Plus...I’d probably have to cut out my espresso habit!

Day (Pulls)
Progressive Pulls day

-Power snatch 56 kgs x 3
-Power Cleans 76 kgs x 3
-High Pull 104 kgs x 3
-Power Shrug 125 kgs x 3
- Deadlift 156 kgs x 3
-Trap DL 176 kgs x 6

After this pull progression, I left.

Day 7 OFF
Day 1 (Horizontal Press emphasis)

A1) Plyo Puship x 3,3,3,3
A2) Decline? Press 104 kgs x 3,4,3
A3) Band Rows x 15,15,15,15

B1) Chin-ups 10 x 3 sets

Don’t know what to call these presses. Like a bridge press but with a little extra ROM at the shoulders from the elevation and no leg drive? Cutting sessions down a bit now. Don’t think I need to do full body everyday and limit my focus to heavier sessions and one other move. It’s substantial how weaker my close grip pressing is. Should work this a bit more. Wouldn’t say it’s “triceps” strength, but the leverage disadvantage. Still, close grip work seems to help wide grip more then the reverse. Of course, going lower in weight isn’t really an option rn because...there aren’t lighter plates! My chin-up endurance is somewhat laughable rn. But I’m training strength so it’s not a big worry. Weighted chin-ups don’t seem that much harder than non weighted.... I feel like I’m, cough, fast twitch dominant and I just hit an immediate wall at 10 reps. Alas, I tend to put more energy into a rep than average perhaps fatiguing me faster

Whatever press this is called

Day 2 (Squat emphasis)

A1) Vertical jumps x 3,3,3,3,
A2) Squat
56 kgs-LB x 5, HB x 5, FS x 5, OHS x 5
104 kgs- LB x 5, HB x 5, FS x 3
125 kgs- LB x 7
A3) BW hip hinge Drill

B1) HSPU on plates - 3r x 5s

Back was a bit tired today and I’m not sure why. Lumbars seemed stiff and the squat a little meh. Nonetheless, decided to hit a low bar heavy set anyways. A belt would’ve been nice but I think training without it has been good. If I threw one in, it’d probably help quite a bit. Minimizing heavy barbell work to only four times a week with one other accompanying movement for now. Seems like a good time with a lot of school work going on and fatigue from stress. Nonetheless, this is a belt less PR for Low Bar squats.

I have to wonder about the bar position. High bar is “easier” for me to do but low bar is stronger. Odd. The depth isn’t the deepest but I feel it’s parallel, judging from the angle and looking at the dip bars. Only did HSPUs secondary. I was quite drained after the squats. I still feel my squat lags a bit. But I also have to remember I’m quite fatigued and my lower back, while not hurt, is tired. The reduction in work should help this.

It is interesting how high I get on my last squat before I hit the stocky region. Wonder what this means. I’ve done a lot of leg work the past week. Perhaps it’s to show my back once again is tired.

Last edited:
The sticking point is quite high, yes. Maybe a bit unusual. Glutes? On a quick glance you have a good build for these squats. Do you purposefully limit the ROM to this on these or do you find that this is as low as you can comfortably go?

The sticking point is quite high, yes. Maybe a bit unusual. Glutes? On a quick glance you have a good build for these squats. Do you purposefully limit the ROM to this on these or do you find that this is as low as you can comfortably go?
A bit of both, actually. I think my back is still a bit tired and my body is just forcing me to go up here. Alas, with the nature of the training environment, I don’t get to do much mobility warmups. It’s been rainy here, so I usually need to train fast and rolling around in the mud to stretch my HF is just not very appealing.

A bit of both, actually. I think my back is still a bit tired and my body is just forcing me to go up here. Alas, with the nature of the training environment, I don’t get to do much mobility warmups. It’s been rainy here, so I usually need to train fast and rolling around in the mud to stretch my HF is just not very appealing.

Well, it could end up an advantage. You get most of the benefits in general, and if you ever want to compete, you have a natural point to drive upward from.

Well, it could end up an advantage. You get most of the benefits in general, and if you ever want to compete, you have a natural point to drive upward from.

True. Competition seems so far away right now. Maybe if I join an actual gym, I’ll think about that. Also, the lack of squat shoes could be a factor. I do miss all my lifting gear but trying to make it work with what we got.

How much for a shot of espresso in Paris? And also, how much for decent coffee powder?
It’s about 1 Euro for a shot here but I usually get a double! At home, I have an expression machine but not one that uses legit expression powder but the pods! A pack of 10 is about 4 euros, so it’s cheaper but also lacks that “Je ne sais quoi” that actual expresso has.

It’s about 1 Euro for a shot here but I usually get a double! At home, I have an expression machine but not one that uses legit expression powder but the pods! A pack of 10 is about 4 euros, so it’s cheaper but also lacks that “Je ne sais quoi” that actual expresso has.
Same here, strange - I always think that every thing is espensive in Paris

Same here, strange - I always think that every thing is espensive in Paris
For the most part, you are right but Paris is pretty large and things raise in price according to districts. For example in Champs Elysee, where tourists flock to Armani, Gucci and the likes, things are for more expensive then Clichy, near Moulin Rouge.

Been taking a few days off. It’s been finals week in school and I’ve had a ton of administration shtuff to deal with but I’ll be back to lifting on Sunday and switching to four days a week at a time. Got a job as an advisor for my school to help pay for life so that’s pretty cool!

Back
Top Bottom