5/3/1 - Back from the Dead(lift)

Happy New Year Everyone!

Day 1
A1) Plyo pushup x 3,3,3,3
A2) Slight Incline Press - 75 kgs x 5,5,12
A3) Band Rows

B1) Pull-ups x (10,5,3) (8,8,7)(8,5,3) [57]
B2) Feet up CG incline press - 52 kgs x 10,10,10

A nice solid PR for the slight incline press. The 12th rep this time was better than the 11th last time. Still a pain to get the bar in position. Tempo was a bit smoother and shoulder feels more stable this way. I can definitely feel the difference in this hypertrophy program then my normal strength training. The reps from the start feel almost equal in exertion up until the last few whereas normal the first reps feel much stronger then I hit a wall. Also it may be me but after the rain...the plates seem slightly heavier when I grab them...not sure if that’s really the case tbh

Eked our a few additional pull-up reps this week. Didn’t rest long enough in the first series. It was very cold today as well!!! Threw in some CG incline work which wasn’t too demanding and feels pretty solid. Save the sprints for after squats and deads as I don’t want my legs sore before then.

Day 2 (Squat)

A1) Vertical Jump x 2,2,2,2
A2) 52 kgs - LB X 5, HB X 5, FS X 5, OHS X 5
105 kgs - LB x 5, HB x 5, FS x 3,3,7
A3) World’s Greatest Stretch
B1)Dips - 10 x 5 sets (BW, 10 kgs, 26 kgs, 10 kgs, BW)
B2) BW Rows - 25,20,15,15,10 (85)
C1) Elevated RDL w 2 x 26 kg plates-10 x 2 sets

Front squat has been a lift that’s gradually gone up every week. Another PR for this one with 7 at 105 kgs. Weaker lifts going up is a good sign as these are the lifts that’ll likely help my big lifts. High bar and front squats have been going up quicker than zercher and low bar. They’re also both easier on the ol lumbar spine.

Assistance work is going well. Upper back feeling stronger and bigger. Threw in some RDLs at the end. I think my tight hamstrings and calves are perpetually an issue that exacerbate low back issues. Loaded stretches offer two solutions by strengthening and stretching these muscles.

Last edited:
Day 2 (Squat)

A1) Vertical Jump x 2,2,2,2
A2) 52 kgs - LB X 5, HB X 5, FS X 5, OHS X 5
105 kgs - LB x 5, HB x 5, FS x 3,3,7
A3) World’s Greatest Stretch
B1)Dips - 10 x 5 sets (BW, 10 kgs, 26 kgs, 10 kgs, BW)
B2) BW Rows - 25,20,15,15,10 (85)
C1) Elevated RDL w 2 x 26 kg plates-10 x 2 sets

Front squat has been a lift that’s gradually gone up every week. Another PR for this one with 7 at 105 kgs. Weaker lifts going up is a good sign as these are the lifts that’ll likely help my big lifts. High bar and front squats have been going up quicker than zercher and low bar. They’re also both easier on the ol lumbar spine.

Assistance work is going well. Upper back feeling stronger and bigger. Threw in some RDLs at the end. I think my tight hamstrings and calves are perpetually an issue that exacerbate low back issues. Loaded stretches offer two solutions by strengthening and stretching these muscles.

Impressive front squat!

Day 3 Rest

Day 4 Press

A1) Press - 55 kgs x 5,5, 11
A2) Chins- 10 kgs x 5,5, 8
A3) Yoga Pushups - x 3,3,3

B1) Single Arm Incline Press - 26 kgs x 12,12
B2) Kroc Rows- 26 kgs x 35,25

Press PR by a rep today! Feeling strong and adjusted to the volume and frequency. My Press is where it needs to be in relation to my horizontal press and like I’ve always felt my shoulders are my strong pressing muscles. Triceps are probably what need the work judging from my close grip press and wide grip discrepancy.

Did some plate presses which offer a different kind of challenge. The balance of the plate on the hand makes me feel it puts a little more emphasis on wrist strength and elbow stability then a regular dumbbell or kettlebell press. These felt great on my shoulder with a pause at the bottom. Good week so far!

Press Pr

plate press

Day 3 Rest

Day 4 Press

A1) Press - 55 kgs x 5,5, 11
A2) Chins- 10 kgs x 5,5, 8
A3) Yoga Pushups - x 3,3,3

B1) Single Arm Incline Press - 26 kgs x 12,12
B2) Kroc Rows- 26 kgs x 35,25

Press PR by a rep today! Feeling strong and adjusted to the volume and frequency. My Press is where it needs to be in relation to my horizontal press and like I’ve always felt my shoulders are my strong pressing muscles. Triceps are probably what need the work judging from my close grip press and wide grip discrepancy.

Did some plate presses which offer a different kind of challenge. The balance of the plate on the hand makes me feel it puts a little more emphasis on wrist strength and elbow stability then a regular dumbbell or kettlebell press. These felt great on my shoulder with a pause at the bottom. Good week so far!

Press Pr

plate press

Congrats on Press PR. Just an observation, and the camera angle is not ideal, but your grip width looks very wide for maxing your press. It appears from that angle your grip is about a foot wider than your shoulders(meaning combined overall). I'm no expert, so you might want someone better qualified to look at your width. I know whenever I tried to go to wide, my presses were less than optimal.

Congrats! But hey, your schedule is fast compared to Finnish government. At this rate it takes 11 years to vaccinate all the citizens against Covid19. ? ROFL
Oh lala! I haven’t even heard of vaccine rates in Paris or of anyone receiving them. I’d be quite low on the priority list I imagine. Maybe I’ll race Finland to my press goal to their 100% vaccination completion!

Congrats on Press PR. Just an observation, and the camera angle is not ideal, but your grip width looks very wide for maxing your press. It appears from that angle your grip is about a foot wider than your shoulders(meaning combined overall). I'm no expert, so you might want someone better qualified to look at your width. I know whenever I tried to go to wide, my presses were less than optimal.
Yes @Whosonfirst this is an accurate observation. My pressing position is indeed wider than average on both horizontal and vertical presses.

however, this is the position I’ve found most optimal for my shoulder mechanics, even before I injured myself years and years ago. There are a few reasons I’ve found it to be stronger this way for me.

I have pretty long arms. I’ve always used this test before I press to find my optimal grip. I stand as if in pressing position with an imaginary barbell and push my chest up until my back and support groups feel the most right and active. Naturally to open my chest up the most and activate my upper, my arms rotate outwards into a wider position. If I’m closer grip, my elbows don’t stay under my wrist and my upper back and lats aren’t active as much.

With longer arms, my sticking point tends to be a bit higher (forehead). I feel the start of wider grips and stances is harder but the lockout easier. If I miss a max attempt, the bar shoots off my chest and stalls right at my forehead, this a bit wider compensates a bit. With the narrow grip, I’d likely hit a similar spot, but due to an old suprispinatus injury (probably from baseball years as a youth), my elbow flares prematurely. With this flare, in a closer grip my elbow will stray far from under my wrist but a wide grip also mitigates this.
I know a closer grip is usually considered optimal for pressing and believe me I tried. But this wide grip has certainly been the most comfortable, strongest and least injurious I’ve found for my idiosyncrasies. Maybe if I worked with a PT and certified strength coach, this would all change. We will see, but for now I believe it’s what’s best for me!

Day 4 (Pull)

A1) rack pull against band
156 kg x 3,3,12
A2) CG Feet elevated Pushup
B1) BSS - BW x 30,30,25 (per leg)

Rack pull on the menu for tonight. These give my back no trouble, which has been feeling great lately. Sometimes a bit stiff in the morning, wondering about some loosening exercises Kono DL or Russian Hockey DL to help. Also, opening my hamstrings and calves. I’m always severely lacking in flexibility there. These plates are a pain sometimes as they don’t wanna stay flush on the bar, so things get jerky and the bar rolls still, being bent. I feel all the upper back work is paying off well and helping everything. It also works the grip, which is key. Some Ab work at some point may benefit me and help support my lower back.

Yes @Whosonfirst this is an accurate observation. My pressing position is indeed wider than average on both horizontal and vertical presses.

however, this is the position I’ve found most optimal for my shoulder mechanics, even before I injured myself years and years ago. There are a few reasons I’ve found it to be stronger this way for me.

I have pretty long arms. I’ve always used this test before I press to find my optimal grip. I stand as if in pressing position with an imaginary barbell and push my chest up until my back and support groups feel the most right and active. Naturally to open my chest up the most and activate my upper, my arms rotate outwards into a wider position. If I’m closer grip, my elbows don’t stay under my wrist and my upper back and lats aren’t active as much.

With longer arms, my sticking point tends to be a bit higher (forehead). I feel the start of wider grips and stances is harder but the lockout easier. If I miss a max attempt, the bar shoots off my chest and stalls right at my forehead, this a bit wider compensates a bit. With the narrow grip, I’d likely hit a similar spot, but due to an old suprispinatus injury (probably from baseball years as a youth), my elbow flares prematurely. With this flare, in a closer grip my elbow will stray far from under my wrist but a wide grip also mitigates this.
I know a closer grip is usually considered optimal for pressing and believe me I tried. But this wide grip has certainly been the most comfortable, strongest and least injurious I’ve found for my idiosyncrasies. Maybe if I worked with a PT and certified strength coach, this would all change. We will see, but for now I believe it’s what’s best for me!
I hear you, and trust me I understand long arms. Mine are 77-78 inches fingertip to fingertip at a height of 76 inches. And I get it, that the right width varies depending on feel. Mine is actually narrower than recommended by experts, but that groove has been in place for so long, anything different feels weaker or just wrong.

I hear you, and trust me I understand long arms. Mine are 77-78 inches fingertip to fingertip at a height of 76 inches. And I get it, that the right width varies depending on feel. Mine is actually narrower than recommended by experts, but that groove has been in place for so long, anything different feels weaker or just wrong.
Built to pull! Are your hands nearly touching your shoulders for your press then? I often hear thumbs just outside of shoulders for a general recommendation. I do really think narrower is certainly more valuable to train with and I’d do so if I had more variances of loading but I’m somewhat limited with these plates that only come in 26 kgs. May do some narrow presses next week with a shorter ROM tho

Built to pull! Are your hands nearly touching your shoulders for your press then? I often hear thumbs just outside of shoulders for a general recommendation. I do really think narrower is certainly more valuable to train with and I’d do so if I had more variances of loading but I’m somewhat limited with these plates that only come in 26 kgs. May do some narrow presses next week with a shorter ROM tho
Fairly close, but out in front on a barbell. Big knuckle on first finger, almost in a line with outside of shoulder. When I used to do behind the neck presses, more outside like yours. But I no longer do them, since my first tear came from b.n.p., forced reps. I always benched fairly narrow, supposed to be healthier.

Fairly close, but out in front on a barbell. Big knuckle on first finger, almost in a line with outside of shoulder. When I used to do behind the neck presses, more outside like yours. But I no longer do them, since my first tear came from b.n.p., forced reps. I always benched fairly narrow, supposed to be healthier.
Ahhh. What kind of tear? Suprispinatus??? Benching narrow is widely accepted as safer. I just find the shoulder flexion demands more pain inducing then shoulder abduction. In my case, the closer the elbows are to my shoulders on the extension, flexion plane, the less my shoulders protest. Sorry to hear of your tear. Did you get surgery? What became of it. My BTN press is a pretty similar width to my regular press. Oddly, these cause me no issue but I must beware of lower below nose level. My shoulders are an oddity...

Day 6/7 off

Day 1 Horizontal press

A1) Plyo Pushup x 3,3,3,3
A2) CG Floor Press 75 kgs x 5,5, 13
A3) Lat Stretch

B1) pull-up medley
10,6, 6
10, 6, 5
6,5,4 (58)

I’ve moved my close grip rep PR from 8 - 13 over three cycles. Since I’ve focused on my weaker grips for a while, may go back to the stronger presses in rotation for a while. May ease the accelerator on volume for assistance work and do lower rep weights. We will see. I’m looking forward to low bar squats tomorrow. Hoping for 10 @ 275 lbs.

Floor Press w close grip

Back
Top Bottom