B1) Jump (over bench) x 3
B2) One arm power row - 26 kgs x 3 R/ 3L
C1) Two plate Swing- 52 kgs x 3
C2) Plyo Pushups x 3

Addendum 3 rounds
A1) Band Ys
A2) Weighted RKC plank
A3) Back bridge

Glutes a bit tight following yesterday’s rep day. Warmed up with old track and field sprint drills ie high knees, skips, crossovers, walking drills. Sprint still feels slow off start and faster at midrange. Maybe more static start drills. Presses were fast, almost like a shot put toss.

Single arm power rows seems a valuable anti rotation move. Felt much more stable with the heavy swings today, perhaps my midsection is linking my body more efficiently, which is good. Felt more glute and core activation on the plyo pushups as well, which were done between two plates with band resistance.

Minor accessory work to finish. I feel like core strength can be trained daily, although, I will need to incorporate more hip flexion based drills. The plank seems to hit all surrounding parts nicely. Not sure if I’m doing it right though.

Saturday: Rest/Schoolwork

Sunday: Grind/Strength

A1) Pendlay Row - 78 kgs x 5 x 3 sets, 12 x 1 set
A2) Incline Press - 78 kgs x 5 x 3 sets (paused) 12 x 1 set TnG
B) Front Squats - 105 kgs x 3 x 3 sets
C) Hanging knee Raises x 3 x 3 sets

My pressings strength seems to thriving. My squat, not so much. Perhaps I’m doing too much for my lower body, whereas my upper strength is moving nicely. It could be also that I don’t have a designated squat day anymore, and squats are done after the heavy upper body. I had to Zercher the bar from the racks to superset Pendlay rows and incline presses. My hip flexors and adductors are still a bit sore from my last sprinting day.

I’m wondering why sprinting still makes me sore and if my body will adjust to it with twice a week frequency. Nevertheless, somethings affecting my squatting.

Not sure if I’m performing HKR correctly. Once again, with my hip flexors feeling it, didn’t feel very abdominal focused. Maybe they’re too hard for my current strength levels. Anyways, gotta be happy with how solid the incline presses felt.

Inc Pauses

Inc AMRAP

Pendlay Rows

Saturday: Rest/Schoolwork

Sunday: Grind/Strength

A1) Pendlay Row - 78 kgs x 5 x 3 sets, 12 x 1 set
A2) Incline Press - 78 kgs x 5 x 3 sets (paused) 12 x 1 set TnG
B) Front Squats - 105 kgs x 3 x 3 sets
C) Hanging knee Raises x 3 x 3 sets

My pressings strength seems to thriving. My squat, not so much. Perhaps I’m doing too much for my lower body, whereas my upper strength is moving nicely. It could be also that I don’t have a designated squat day anymore, and squats are done after the heavy upper body. I had to Zercher the bar from the racks to superset Pendlay rows and incline presses. My hip flexors and adductors are still a bit sore from my last sprinting day.

I’m wondering why sprinting still makes me sore and if my body will adjust to it with twice a week frequency. Nevertheless, somethings affecting my squatting.

Not sure if I’m performing HKR correctly. Once again, with my hip flexors feeling it, didn’t feel very abdominal focused. Maybe they’re too hard for my current strength levels. Anyways, gotta be happy with how solid the incline presses felt.

Inc Pauses

Inc AMRAP

Pendlay Rows
Nice work!

Monday Reps

A1) Pullups - 12 x 4 sets (2 x wide grip, 1 x medium, 1 x neutral).
A2) Dips - 26 kgs x 8 x 4 sets
B1) RDL’s x 2 x 26 kgs - 15 x 3 sets
B2) Hand Walkouts - 3 x 3 sets

The most dense pull-up day I’ve ever done. Dips too. A good amount of volume and quite challenging. Found it easier to complete the pullups by counting in 3’s four times as opposed to all the way up to 12 each time. Interesting how the mind plays with strength.

Deciding to alternate hip/knee dominant moves every other day. See if that helps my thighs recover better. Don’t see how it wouldn’t. Hand walkouts for core and shoulder stability. These are tough.

To some degree, sprinting is like asking for a series of 1-rep-maxes from some of your leg musculature. It's definitely something you want to ramp slowly.

Not sure if I’m performing HKR correctly. Once again, with my hip flexors feeling it, didn’t feel very abdominal focused. Maybe they’re too hard for my current strength levels.
Are you getting the little bit of posterior pelvic tilt at the top? At some point I think you kind of have to pass the weight from your hip flexors to your abs, if you don't create that little tilt at the top I think you end up asking the hip flexors to do all the work.

To some degree, sprinting is like asking for a series of 1-rep-maxes from some of your leg musculature. It's definitely something you want to ramp slowly.

Are you getting the little bit of posterior pelvic tilt at the top? At some point I think you kind of have to pass the weight from your hip flexors to your abs, if you don't create that little tilt at the top I think you end up asking the hip flexors to do all the work.
This is true. It doesn’t seem so demanding at the time but the after effects are certainly felt. I do enjoy it quite a bit.

As for the HNL, I do get into PPT but it doesn’t quite feel like the initiator. I pretty much end up in a tuck planche, which makes me feel as if I’m overdoing it somewhat. This movement definitely seems like a weak pattern to me.

As for the HNL, I do get into PPT but it doesn’t quite feel like the initiator.
Yeah, I know that feeling - kind of feels like the hip flexor toss the weight to the abs, then the abs try to hang on to it for as long as they can, but they have to drop it much faster than I'd like. I'm working on extending the time that the abs can hold out... but its a slow grind.

Another thing to remember about sprinting - competitive sprinters don't go full bore every day. Just like any other training, you should vary the intensity. A day sprinting at 75-80% still helps contribute to making you faster.
This is true. I’ve surely been pushing close to max intensity. And the way you described the HKR is a great summary of how they feel to me.

Tuesday

Power/Speed

Sprint Drills- high knees, foot walks

Core- 3 rounds
Dead bugs x 5
Palloff press x 5R/5L

5 Rounds
A1) Bounding
A2) Single arm press - 26 kgs x 3
B1) Lunge jump x 3R/3L
B2) Explosive single arm row - 26 kgs x 3R/3L

3 rounds
C1) Paysed weight release jump - 2 x 26 kgs x 3
C2) Plyo push-up (deficient/against band) x 3

Bounding instead of sprints, which are a bit technically challenging. Trying to stay light and develop reactive ground strength. Got pretty high and far near end.

Paise jumps are just when you squat with the weights in each hand, pause for a few seconds, then release the weights upon jumping.

Wednesday/Thursday-REST

Friday - Strength/Heavy

A1) Yates Rows - 104 kgs x 5 x 3 sets
A2) Decline Press - 104 kgs x 5,8,8
B) Zercher squats - 130 kgs x 5 x 3 sets
C) Janda Sit-ups - 3 x 5 sets

Felt good after a few days off. Yates rows are a bit like cheater rows, but it works best to use whatever back exercise I can without having to change the plates every round. Decline Press is moving up, though this is a sharp decline and the ROM looks less than a floor press but I also don’t have the ground to press off of to help aid the lift.

Zerchers felt great today. Left a lot in the tank but also, bar was never quite centered. It’s easier to do zerchers over back squats since the dip bars where I squat are usually in use. The rack at the park is not ideal. It’s precarious and doesn’t seem fit for heavier weights. Also the stands have wide bases and finding footing is difficult. Janda sit-ups felt better today.

Yates Rows

Decline Press

Zercher Squats

Hello @Philippe Geoffrion

I really enjoy the DIY weigths you have. This is creative and seem super effective !

If you do not mind, I have a question : since you do press into a bridge position, did you notice an improvement in hip strength and stability ? (For instance a better DL / RDL)

Thanks !

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello @Philippe Geoffrion

I really enjoy the DIY weigths you have. This is creative and seem super effective !

If you do not mind, I have a question : since you do press into a bridge position, did you notice an improvement in hip strength and stability ? (For instance a better DL / RDL)

Thanks !

Kind regards,

Pet'
Hello @pet'

Thank you for the kind words! It is quite fun! If you’re ever in Paris, swing by (pardon the k-bell pun).

As for the bridge press, I couldn’t say to be honest. My hips/lower back have always been far stronger than my knees. However, what I can say about the bridge press is I do feel more of a core demand. I don’t use hips for momentum, except occasionally on speed days, although it does allow one to use far more weight, a horizontal push press if you will. I do feel however, both the aforementioned variations can bridge (pardon the barbell pun) the connection of the hips into upper body movements, greater than the floor or bench press variations. This may make it ideal for those who have to push things from two feet horizontally (ie a stalked car, or football linemen or literally nearly everything you push in front of you in the real world).

In all honesty, three things have helped my barbell pull strength. Squatting with a barbell, a ton of upper back work (pullups, front levers, rows) and power movements like sprinting and jumping.

If you have the weights to do a meaningful bridge press, you have the weight to train your posterior optimally with more efficient movements. Cleans, snatches, Olympic pulls and single leg deadlifts come to mind for me. But let me add, using very heavy bridge presses is a great dynamic hip movement that only relies on the arms to lockout the weight. I’ve done over 300 lbs on this move when my bench was just barely over 80 % of this.

Last edited:
Wednesday/Thursday-REST

Friday - Strength/Heavy

A1) Yates Rows - 104 kgs x 5 x 3 sets
A2) Decline Press - 104 kgs x 5,8,8
B) Zercher squats - 130 kgs x 5 x 3 sets
C) Janda Sit-ups - 3 x 5 sets

Felt good after a few days off. Yates rows are a bit like cheater rows, but it works best to use whatever back exercise I can without having to change the plates every round. Decline Press is moving up, though this is a sharp decline and the ROM looks less than a floor press but I also don’t have the ground to press off of to help aid the lift.

Zerchers felt great today. Left a lot in the tank but also, bar was never quite centered. It’s easier to do zerchers over back squats since the dip bars where I squat are usually in use. The rack at the park is not ideal. It’s precarious and doesn’t seem fit for heavier weights. Also the stands have wide bases and finding footing is difficult. Janda sit-ups felt better today.

Yates Rows

Decline Press

Zercher Squats
Impressive strength!

Hello @pet'

Thank you for the kind words! It is quite fun! If you’re ever in Paris, swing by (pardon the k-bell pun).

As for the bridge press, I couldn’t say to be honest. My hips/lower back have always been far stronger than my knees. However, what I can say about the bridge press is I do feel more of a core demand. I don’t use hips for momentum, except occasionally on speed days, although it does allow one to use far more weight, a horizontal push press if you will. I do feel however, both the aforementioned variations can bridge (pardon the barbell pun) the connection of the hips into upper body movements, greater than the floor or bench press variations. This may make it ideal for those who have to push things from two feet horizontally (ie a stalked car, or football linemen or literally nearly everything you push in front of you in the real world).

In all honesty, three things have helped my barbell pull strength. Squatting with a barbell, a ton of upper back work (pullups, front levers, rows) and power movements like sprinting and jumping.

If you have the weights to do a meaningful bridge press, you have the weight to train your posterior optimally with more efficient movements. Cleans, snatches, Olympic pulls and single leg deadlifts come to mind for me.
Impressive strength!
Thanks @Dries S ! Getting there!

Back
Top Bottom