all posts post new thread

5/3/1 - Back from the Dead(lift)

Cycle 3
Week 4 (6 weeks out)

Deload

Day 3
Deadlifts- 135 x 5, 185 x 5, 225 x 5

Bracing myself for the heavy work weeks to come. Next week is a pretty heavy loading week, the last really heavy one I have before the meet.

Cycle 4 (Final cycle!)
Week 1 (5 weeks out)

Day 1
Squat - 225 x 3, 265 x 3, 300 x 3, 320 x 1,
335 x 1
High Bar pause squats…

I’m very fatigued today. It’s my seventh day of work in a row of 4 am shifts due to CoVid cases calling out.

I’m sitting at 167 lbs, so a couple pounds over my class which is fine. It’s not much to drop.

Definitely felt tired even before getting to the gym and the top set felt hard but looked easy which I’ll take. Unracking felt arduous and the descent feels very slow but the ascent is fast. Looking at the rep, speed is faster than it appears. I think I’m just mentally drained from only having a single day off in the last 14 days.

At this point, I’m too tired to do any accessory work or make any modifications to anything. Depth is where it will be so we’ll just have to work with what we got.

You're only 167 lbs? I always thought that it would be higher and you'll complete at 84-kg weight class
To be honest, I might just not even care about my weight. I’m thinking the stress of trying to make weight will just be too much to worry when I just want to hit certain numbers.

I’ve been eating far less lately in response to the lower volume of training and when I foun I weighed only 167, I though “hey! Might as well compete in 165” but I definitely felt a little less stable this time with 335 on the squat.

Thanks @Antti I surely will as I’m still sorting it all out. Things aren’t overall rough, just rough patches. But working to remain positive. How are you doing?

Good to hear it's just a rough patch.

Thanks for asking. Overall, I'm very much fine. When it comes to training I'm troubled by a couple of things. First, I have a nagging biceps that bothers my flat bench but really nothing else.. Second, I'm trying to figure out how to organise my training when it comes to block lengths and variety. How little is too little and how much is too much. I'd like to see less variables and just less of trying it out.

Good to hear it's just a rough patch.

Thanks for asking. Overall, I'm very much fine. When it comes to training I'm troubled by a couple of things. First, I have a nagging biceps that bothers my flat bench but really nothing else.. Second, I'm trying to figure out how to organise my training when it comes to block lengths and variety. How little is too little and how much is too much. I'd like to see less variables and just less of trying it out.
Ahhh yes. I had some biceps pain for a while after Smolov JR. it went away after sometime. Did some band work for arms. Change of bench grip may be good. I was benching wide, as I do now.

It seems with variability, the frequency must also vary. What’s good one week, may be too much too little the next. It all has to even out.

I myself have probably pushed hard for quite some time. I’ve done a lotttt of benching lately, probably the reason it lagged last session. From here on, my lifting will need to be very light. I meddled with rack heights, positioning on nearly all lifts to tidy things up. One day, a lower rack setting was perfect and me thinking this would always be my ideal setting, would find it incorrect the next session! Same with technique…which is why the variety would become a help and a hindrance.

Now my technique is ‘settling in’ and the next week, aside from one DL session which will only approach 90 % of my opener, will be performed. The rest will have to be light to allow compensation and the last week, frequency will drop to two days. This week is four, the week prior, 5-6-7.

This progress was a heart beat monitor wave, and not a steady climb as fatigue came and went. My only go now, is to make the strengtg ive built show up in max capacity on the meet day. I’m confident I can be ssuccessful, even if easy weights felt harder recently.

Ahhh yes. I had some biceps pain for a while after Smolov JR. it went away after sometime. Did some band work for arms. Change of bench grip may be good. I was benching wide, as I do now.

It seems with variability, the frequency must also vary. What’s good one week, may be too much too little the next. It all has to even out.

I myself have probably pushed hard for quite some time. I’ve done a lotttt of benching lately, probably the reason it lagged last session. From here on, my lifting will need to be very light. I meddled with rack heights, positioning on nearly all lifts to tidy things up. One day, a lower rack setting was perfect and me thinking this would always be my ideal setting, would find it incorrect the next session! Same with technique…which is why the variety would become a help and a hindrance.

Now my technique is ‘settling in’ and the next week, aside from one DL session which will only approach 90 % of my opener, will be performed. The rest will have to be light to allow compensation and the last week, frequency will drop to two days. This week is four, the week prior, 5-6-7.

This progress was a heart beat monitor wave, and not a steady climb as fatigue came and went. My only go now, is to make the strengtg ive built show up in max capacity on the meet day. I’m confident I can be ssuccessful, even if easy weights felt harder recently.

I've tried to change grip widths. When it comes to max effort I'm actually not that bad off with a very narrow grip. It seems the extra work from the increased ROM really taxes my rep work. But it's not a bad thing per se.

I have a set schedule of training days. It just seems I burn out fast on exercises. It's like I can tolerate a certain number of specific exercise sessions in a block, and it's not that dependent on time.

It seems the bench is the worst for it. And there's a big, big difference in performance on different days. I'd say up to 10%. And I can't really predict it. Maybe I just need to do ME or RE with the bench really rarely, or have even more variation with it.

You having harder days lately sounds good for the meet to me. If the weights were light now, your peak would be now. But you're fatigued and developing, and after lighter sessions and rest, the fatigue is gone, and you're at full, improved strength.

I've tried to change grip widths. When it comes to max effort I'm actually not that bad off with a very narrow grip. It seems the extra work from the increased ROM really taxes my rep work. But it's not a bad thing per se.

I have a set schedule of training days. It just seems I burn out fast on exercises. It's like I can tolerate a certain number of specific exercise sessions in a block, and it's not that dependent on time.

It seems the bench is the worst for it. And there's a big, big difference in performance on different days. I'd say up to 10%. And I can't really predict it. Maybe I just need to do ME or RE with the bench really rarely, or have even more variation with it.

You having harder days lately sounds good for the meet to me. If the weights were light now, your peak would be now. But you're fatigued and developing, and after lighter sessions and rest, the fatigue is gone, and you're at full, improved strength.
Thanks for the encouragement @Antti I feel there is grass as t truth yo those words. On the bright side, my bench was the one making great gains a month ago and my squat and DL were in question. Squat depth was iffy and my dead plummeted suddenly (most likely fatigue). However, I’ve grooved my squat to depth with a heavy weight and feel confident in it. I’ve lowered my DL intensity as well and am feeling much better at keeping it there. If 360 flies tomorrow (and I mean near effortlessly), I know my groove will be solid and the plan in place will stand. Here is a squat from Monday which I believe, is perfectly adequate depth.

Weight is 325 lbs with the competition squat bar (55 lbs) and is a weight slightly higher than my planned opener.

For better news, my booking of a Paris Apt for my last semester of school has been confirmed! I’m returning to Paris!!!

Thanks for the encouragement @Antti I feel there is grass as t truth yo those words. On the bright side, my bench was the one making great gains a month ago and my squat and DL were in question. Squat depth was iffy and my dead plummeted suddenly (most likely fatigue). However, I’ve grooved my squat to depth with a heavy weight and feel confident in it. I’ve lowered my DL intensity as well and am feeling much better at keeping it there. If 360 flies tomorrow (and I mean near effortlessly), I know my groove will be solid and the plan in place will stand. Here is a squat from Monday which I believe, is perfectly adequate depth.

Weight is 325 lbs with the competition squat bar (55 lbs) and is a weight slightly higher than my planned opener.

For better news, my booking of a Paris Apt for my last semester of school has been confirmed! I’m returning to Paris!!!

That squat looks good to me!

Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom