all posts post new thread

5/3/1 - Back from the Dead(lift)

Hello @Philippe Geoffrion

I saw you have tackled the OAC ! It reminds me when it was a goal of mine as well !

If I may chime in, here are a few things (feel free not to use them of course !)
- A good "raw" strength benchmark is 4-5 solid reps with 75% bdw added (if you weigh 60, you can do 5 reps with 40kg of additional weight). Then, that's a matter of technique
- Working on strength to weight ratio is interesting (even if it can sound like cheating). Back then, I tried to lean out a few kg
- Once you're comfortable with 5 reps @70% additional, you can work with a resistance band to both assist you and drilling the technique.

Otherwise, if you want to work without "weighted calisthenics", you can use a counter weight and pulley system (that way, you drill the technique and reduce the counter weight mass as you progress). Eccentrics are also very helpful, especially with paused reps at sticking point (between strength arm and arm @90°).

In both cases, do not hesitate to add a few sets of regular chin ups / pull ups to work on your joints as well.

Hope that helps,

Kind regards,

Pet'
@pet'

Great post!!! I’m working on tackling it!!! It is a mighty beast…even the hydra quivers in its presence. I’m certainly closer to a FL than the one arm chin…

On the eccentric, the very bottom is difficult to control. I can get just before the arm straightens…then I corkscrew all over. My right arms worse…on either arm, I cannot move from the bottom.

Partials, however are…kind of existent. My arms and legs are loooooong. I can’t help but feel my legs, which are also quite heavy, make a lot of calisthenics moves difficult. I only do low rep sets for them rn, while building a bit more up on my arms.

Did you achieve the OAC? My best chin-up triple was with about 90 extra lbs (41 kgs) at roughly 160 lbs (72 kgs). I still feel miles away.

Yes I did it back then, on both arms. However, when I think about it, I was stupid eheh
- I neglected most of the other aspects of physical abilities (cardio, power...)
- I put emphasis on upper body training (especially to maintain at least some balance between push and pull).

I was really lighter than I am (57 vs 63-64). The less weight you have to lift, the better. Currently, I would not be able to do it and would have to start from the very beginning again. Now, I just can do about 30 in a row, 5 or 6 with 16kg, but I am more "balanced".

Like you, I have long limbs. For the arms, you can also dedicate a portion of your training to the very first portions of the move:
- Lift the resting shoulder
- Corkscrew while getting into the hollow position

It took me roughly one year of dedicated training to get there

Feel free to ask anything you want, if I can help!

Kind regards,

Pet'

Yes I did it back then, on both arms. However, when I think about it, I was stupid eheh
- I neglected most of the other aspects of physical abilities (cardio, power...)
- I put emphasis on upper body training (especially to maintain at least some balance between push and pull).

I was really lighter than I am (57 vs 63-64). The less weight you have to lift, the better. Currently, I would not be able to do it and would have to start from the very beginning again. Now, I just can do about 30 in a row, 5 or 6 with 16kg, but I am more "balanced".

Like you, I have long limbs. For the arms, you can also dedicate a portion of your training to the very first portions of the move:
- Lift the resting shoulder
- Corkscrew while getting into the hollow position

It took me roughly one year of dedicated training to get there

Feel free to ask anything you want, if I can help!

Kind regards,

Pet'
@pet'

I think the OAC is an amazing feat and I salute you on this accomplishment! I hope to achieve it someday with dedicated work!

I will. Certainly love to ask some questions. How did you begin moving from the bottom? My weighted chin is moving along. I’d guess one solid rep at 52 kgs would be an ideal goal for me rn.

I just did a set of 3 dips today at this weight, which was quite satisfying. I’m thinking my shoulder, upper back packing may need work for the OAC.

FL is coming along better however. I feel it’s within reach. Maybe 3 more months?

At the very beginning of the move, I did two things at the same time, which eventually is "pure technique and physics". Let's assume a right arm OAC:
As I lift my left shoulder, I immediately put myself in a hollow position. As you see, there are two things:
- lifting the shoulder
- getting into hollow position

Technique wise, you have to be in hollow position when your scapula (meaning the axis of your two shoulders) is parallel to the ground. This means you have to be quickly in hollow position. It will give you momentum to break this sticking point.

As soon as you reach the parallel, you'll activate your lats, right shoulder muscles and traps to reach the 90°. Between the parallel and the 90°, you have two options:
- keep lifting your legs up to a L-Sit (slightly more momentum, less back engagement (but more shoulder instability))
- maintaining the hollow position (less momentum, more back engagement)
The 2nd option requires way more strength.

Beyond the 90°, that's all about biceps strength. Assistance exercises such as weighted chin ups or even even BB curls may help.

Front Lever and OAC can be complementary, indeed. I get mine in roughly 3 or 4 months. FL will imply more core strength. You can assume you have enough core strength if you are able to do multiple unloaded dragon flags, starting from the ground without momentum, or even 3-5 with 2-3kg added (which will be a lot if you have long legs, assuming the leverage). If you have enough core strength, the limiting factor is lats strength.

You can work on it thanks to the OAC work, but you can also use heavy BB row

Kind regards,

Pet'

Monday

DE
3 rounds

Plyo push-up x 3
Vertical jump x 3

Grinds
3 rounds

OAP x 3
FL tucks x 3
Box pistol - 26 kgs x 3
Dragon flags - x 3

Rep
Single arm hangs, crawling

Tuesday

DE
3 rounds

OA PP - 26 kgs x 3R/3 L
Bounding

Grinds
OAC (assisted w/pinky) 1 x 4 sets per arn
Tuck planche
Goblet Squats - 50 kgs x 3

Wednesday

DE
3 Rounds

A1) Lunge Jump x 3L/3R
A2) Ex Tri Ext

Grinds
3 rounds

B1) FL straddle eccentrics x 3
B2) HSPU x 3,3,3,3,3
B3) Pistol - 26 kgs x 1,2,3

Addendum
C1)Chins - 26 kgs x 5,5
C2) CGPU- 26 kgs x 6,6

Flag work, band upper back.

Thursday

DE
3 rounds
A1) Swings - 2 x 26 kgs x 3
A2) Plyo PU x 3

Grinds
B1) OAC (finger assisted) x 3,3,2,2,1,1
B2) Tuck planche holds
B3) Ste ups x 3R/3L

RE
Crawling, band work

My planche training seems to be at a standstill but still chipping away at it. OAC starts with a middle finger on non working arm to ring finger to a single rep with pinky. Oddly, my right arm was capable of stronger pinky reps.

Step ups done with a very slow negative, as deep as I can go.

Friday

DE - 3 rounds
A1) OA PP - 26 kgs x 3
A2) HLR x 3

Grinds - 3 rounds
B1) OAP - +12 kgs x 1,2,3
B2) BU Pistol - 12 kgs x 3
B3)FL (straddled eccentrics) x 1

RE
C1) BW Skullcrushers x 12 x 2
C2) Australian curls x 20 x 2 sets

Saturday

DE-3 rounds
A1) Sprint
A2) Bridge press - 26 kgs x 3

Grinds
B1) OAC (progressive eccentrics)
B2) Dips - bw x 5, 26 kgs x 5, 40 kgs x 3, 50 x 3,1
B3) Renegade lunge - x 5, 15 kgs x 5, 25 kgs x 5

RE
BW TRI EXT, ROW/CURL

Tuesday

DE - 3 rounds

A1) Jump x 3
A2) OA PP - 26 kgs x 3R/3L

Grinds - 3 rounds

B1) FL straddle holds
B2) OAP - feet up x 3R/3L
B3) Pistol BW x 3, 26 kgs x 1,2,3

RE
C1) Row - 26 kgs x 20,20
C2) OA floor press - 26 kgs x 25,25

Over Winter Break from school, I take a hiatus from training for ten days - moving to a new apartment, Xmas dinner/New Years and my work as a Student advisor took precedence during this time.

However upon returning, I found I’d improved, feeling freshly reinvigorated, upon many of the skills I was building on. My planche practice yielded the furthest lean forward is ever accomplished, pushing me closer to straddle territory. Upon attempting my first OAC, I budged a solid few inches before petering out about halfway.

Since then, I’ve decided to reorganize my training from the general “ do a little of everything everyday” to a style more akin to Dan John’s one a lift a day. The focus is still on the five lifts I wish to accomplish:

1) Planche (end goal being planche push-up)
2) OAC
3) Pistol - 5 reps with 26 kgs
4) OAOLP x 5 reps per arm
5) Front Lever

While this has been the workout order this week, I think I’ll reorganize it for next week so the unilateral exercises aren’t back to back ie

Day 1) OAC
Day 2) Planche
Day 3) Pistol
Day 4) Front Lever
Day 5) OAP

Various drills are used each day to work on the specific qualities of each skill. Here’s the week to far.

Day 1) Planche work
A) Tuck Planche to straddle eccentric x 1 x 3 sets
B) Planche leans x 3 x 3 sets
C) Tuck Planche push-ups x 2 x 3 sets
D) Tuck holds x 8-10 seconds x 3 sets
E) Hanging legs raises, Jeff curls, band work

Day 2) OAC
A) Chins + 26 kgs x 3 x 3 sets (warmup)
B) One finger assisted chins x 5,3,3,2,2 (15)
C) OA hangs x 3 sets
D) L-sit leg raises, band work

Day 3)
A)Pistol x 3 (15 kgs) x 1,2,2 (26 kgs)
5 x 2 sets with 15 kgs
B) RDL (extended ROM) - 2 x 26 kgs x 12 x 2 sets
C) Hand walkouts, band twists.

Still toting around with assistance work, as each day will involve midsection, specific skill enhancement training and/or balance work to keep me healthy. As of today, my biceps, lats and chest are scorched but I’m not used to such concentrated training…yet. I think specialized work following my more general routine is the right step towards my goals.

Day 4 OAP

A1) OAOLP - 1L/1R x 10 sets
A2) Band pull aparts

B1) BW rows x 15 x 3 sets
B2) OAP x 5L/5R x 2 sets

C1) Hanging oblique crunches x 3 x 3 sets
C2) BW Skullcrushers x 10 x 3 sets

Day 6 Rest

Day 1) OAC
Weighted chins - 26 kgs x 4 x 3 sets

A1) OAC (1finger assist) x 5,4,33
A2) HSPU x 5,5,5
B1) One arm hangs

Band work, ab work

Day 2) Planche

Planche leans x 3 sets

A) Straddle planche negatives x 1 x 4 sets
B) tuck planche PU x 3 x 3 sets
C)Advanved tuck holds x 3 sets

Horizontal rows, dragon flags, band work, bridges.

Improvements:
- progressed in reps per set on assisted OAC. Also note, a break is necessary between arms as the one finger arm fatigues quickly. Once I get 5 x 3 sets of one finger assisted OAC, I think I’ll attempt the one arm chin.

-planche work improved by doing leans for mobility first.
-held a bottom straddle for quite a while but my legs were higher than torso. Remedied this in later set.
-hips/head were more even during tuck planch P/U but last rep invariably has hips drop.

Observations:
- wonder what yo do with free arm in an unassisted OAC, as part of being unassisted will mean contending with this arms weight/balance.
-core seemed groggy for planche work. It’s difficult to keep a hollow position with my leverages/limb lengths.
-dip bar for the holds allows freedom with knees to hang but is more stress to wrists.

Last edited:
Day 3: Pistol

Warmup

A1) Pistols
26 kgs x 1 x 5 sets, 15 kgs x 5 x 2 sets
B1) RDL - 2 x 26 kgs x 12 x 2 sets
Side planks

Notes:
- I feel some extra work for lower body (one a one week period) may be beneficial. Whether it be mobility, or like strength work. The pistol doesn’t degrade but improvements are minor compared to upper lifts.
-Decided on Hepburn progress. Add one rep to one set a week.
-Not sure how to include “more” without adding more stress.

I broke down. Couldn’t do it anymore.

Time and time again, I’m reminded. Split training bores me to tears. It just doesn’t resonate with me, dissecting a lift into its constituent parts and doing numerous little exercises. There was a time for that…

I enjoy movement. I train for my enjoyment. Yes, also to reach goals, but I’m not expecting a paycheck or job from USA gymnastics for my planche practices. The gauntlet was thrown today. Full body training and practice. Integration, not isolation. GTG! Exercise ADHD, too much intensity, these have been my nemesis…perhaps demons to conquer, orrrrr lessons to learn from.

I cannot commit to a program that bores me. Facts. I can’t excel at movements, high skill ones especially, practicing once a week.

Today, my first easy strength session.

Session 1)
A) FL Pulls x 2, advanced tucks x 3, tucks x 5
B) OAOLPU x 5,3,2
C) Pistol (heels up) x 5,5
D)OAC -3 fingers x 5, 2f x 3, 1f x 2
E) Planche leans x 5,5

This, calisthenics practice including static holds, represents a unique challenge as reps are nebulous with holds but I’m sure I’ll figure some things out. Daily practice of the skills I want to master. Let’s go.

Day 2
OAC (2 finger assist) x 5 x 2 sets
Planche (adv tuck) x 5 x 2 sets
Pistol (to bench) x 5 x 2 sets
FL tucks x 5 x 2 sets
OAOLP (mid thigh) x 5 x 2 sets

Still need to figure out “reps” that fit the easy strength module for planche/lever work. So far, been pressing/pulling into position and releasing before the set gets “too hard”.

Day 1
EASY STRENGTH

OAC (2 fingers assist) x 5 x 2
Tuck planche - 1 holds x 8 sets
Pistol (off ledge) x 5 x 2 sets
FL tucks x 5 x 2 sets
OAOLPU x 5 x 2 sets (mid thigh)

Still working my way with the statics. Feel like doing various little holds and stopping just before they’re exerting. They seem to get longer the more sets I do so this makes sense. Over time, I feel they’ll naturally get longer/stronger. Nudging along.

Day 2
EASY STRENGTH

OAOLPU x 5,3,2 (varying heights)
FL tucked rows x 5, 3,2
Pistol x 5,3,2 (from bench to floor)
Frog holds x 10 sets
OAC - (2 fingers assisted)

The two finger assisted OAC is feeling pretty easy now. Had to mess with OAP positions, as sometimes they are harder on elevated objects (which adjustments are more difficult on) than the floor.

Frog holds are harder than I remember, and seem to require a greater abdominal contraction then tuck planches from the elevated hips and posterior knee positions.

Back
Top Bottom