all posts post new thread

Conor’s Training Log - Fighting Entropic Decay

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Conor

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
***edited with additional context***

Hi all,

Finally starting a training log here, to augment my super high-tech notebook and calendar that I typically use.

A bit of background and context on the training. I’m 40 years old, been active for most of my adult life but it’s getting harder as I get older. I work from home for a tech company and used to travel a to, curious to see what that looks like as things slowly get to a new normal. I am a father of seven kids (all the same wife and we’re shockingly still married). So sleep and time are two very precious commodities.

I’ve been swinging kettlebells for about the last 5 years, initially as a replacement for boxing since I’d moved away from my old gym. It’s definitely taken on a life of its own as I’ve become quite the Strongfirst devotee. Still primarily for GPP purposes as I fight the inevitable decay of middle age.

Since I work from home I’ve invested over the years and have a fairly well equipped home gym since we live in the sticks. My training comes and goes based on life, and the last major upheaval was the arrival of twins 18 months ago. I’ve been training again in earnest for about the last 7-8 months, primarily working back to a timed simple and to timeless sinister, while focusing on OHP via the Victorious programming. Outside my programming I do some barbell, some hitting the heavy bag, and a lot of cutting down trees and splitting firewood on my property.

Not much in the way of specific goals, just getting stronger. I would love to hit timed simple and after that do ROP. I’m already pretty close to 1/2 body weight on the press, but snatches for time will be a journey. That may culminate in attending the SFG I certification next April.

Last edited:
Today’s training:

Victorious I
Week 3C
32kg OHP
52 reps each side

Felt pretty good, though by the last ladder I could definitely feel it. I did the same progressions with the 28kg roughly 4 months ago. 32kg is definitely a step up.

Today’s training:

Victorious I
Week 4 Session A
32kg
18 reps L/R

Light day on a light week. Felt nice and easy even though the first ladder always sucks and today barely went past that.

Today's Training:

Timeless S&S

8X10 1H SW - 32kg
2X10 1H SW - 40kg

8X1 TGU - 32kg
2X1 TGU - 40kg

Felt good, very happy with the grip strength on the 40kg 1H SWs now that I'm finally working with that weight.

Today's practice:

Victorious I
Week 4
Session B
32 kg
32 reps each side

Felt good. The top of the ladders aren't easy...yet, but the shorter sets are just starting to float up.

Today’s practice: Timeless S&S

2-hand Swing
8x32kg
2x40kg

TGUs
2xShoe
4x12kg bottoms up
4x16kg bottoms up

I like to take one get-up session a week and focus on form and stability, typically when I do a 2-hand swing session. Call it my “light” day.

Today’s practice: Timeless S&S

2-hand Swing
8x32kg
2x40kg

TGUs
2xShoe
4x12kg bottoms up
4x16kg bottoms up

I like to take one get-up session a week and focus on form and stability, typically when I do a 2-hand swing session. Call it my “light” day.
Nice to see someone else doing some bottoms up get ups. Those are fun! Everyone told me not to do them but Strongfirst recently put a video out about it.

That’s interesting, why did people tell you not to do them? I have the benefit of lots of ignorance and almost never working out anywhere but home :) I really like bottoms up work, especially for grip strength.

That’s interesting, why did people tell you not to do them? I have the benefit of lots of ignorance and almost never working out anywhere but home :) I really like bottoms up work, especially for grip strength.
Just that it’s dangerous, aka you can drop it on your face. I was doing it to half kneeling with a 12k over the winter when i had a broken foot.

That’s fair @LarryB, I get that perspective. I usually find that once I’ve lost the bottoms up position once then I switch lighter. I have all the way down to an 8kg that I bought for my wife and kids, or I switch to the shoe. I have friends who won’t TGU at all for fear of dropping it on their face, it’s all about starting from a good teacher!

Nice, Conor!
You're moving some big weight! Sounds like you have a solid handle on GPP (something I'm striving for).
Good luck with the twins. As a father of 3 kids, I can only imagine the challenges that twins bring to the table.

@ClayPainter thanks man! I’ve been really pleased with my progress this last couple years. My conditioning isn’t where it used to be, that’s where I’m thinking the focus will switch after this current pressing program.

And yeah, twins are an interesting experience. It’s not my first rodeo, we actually have 7 kids, the twins are just the rear guard and making sure we go out with a bang ;) They’re a while new ball game, that’s for sure.

Today’s practice:

Victorious I
Week 4 Session C
32kg
42 reps each arm

It’s been a long week and I’ve been dragging a little. Wasn’t sure how today was going to go but it went okay.

Today’s Practice:

Timed S&S @ 24kg

10x10 1-hand swings in 5:55
10x1 TGUs EMOM

Pretty close to Times standard today. I actually had to run up the stairs after my 3rd set of swings to log in a teen who was late for something on her computer. Added in some time, but also let me recharge a little bit, so I’ll call it a wash on the result. I’m looking forward to next week.

Yesterday’s Practice:
Rest - did some yard work and played with the kids. Went out with my wife for a nice lunch on our Anniversary.

Today’s Practice:
Victorious I
Week 5 - Session A
32kg 22 reps each side
Superset with one PU per ladder a la ROP, 6 total

I’m very careful not to overdo or mess with the program, but my pull-ups are weak and something I’d like to start incorporating, at least on light days like today. Also finally bought and am reading Naked Warrior, thinking I will start doing some GtG pull-ups once I have a handle on the material.

Yesterday’s Practice:
Rest - did some yard work and played with the kids. Went out with my wife for a nice lunch on our Anniversary.

Today’s Practice:
Victorious I
Week 5 - Session A
32kg 22 reps each side
Superset with one PU per ladder a la ROP, 6 total

I’m very careful not to overdo or mess with the program, but my pull-ups are weak and something I’d like to start incorporating, at least on light days like today. Also finally bought and am reading Naked Warrior, thinking I will start doing some GtG pull-ups once I have a handle on the material.
I think I have seen others do them like ROP with some at each ladder. My pull-up numbers are low so I usually only do 1-2.

I think I have seen others do them like ROP with some at each ladder. My pull-up numbers are low so I usually only do 1-2.
Likewise, I'm only good for 1-2 goodish pull-ups. Today with 6 sets it didn't feel too bad, but later this week I have 11 and 13 sets, which is a little daunting pull-up wise, and I don't want that to mess with the Press progression. So maybe every other set, or 1-2 per ladder. I've never been great at pull-ups, even when I was an active rock climber, but at 200 lb it's definitely a challenge. So definitely something I'd like to work on.

Likewise, I'm only good for 1-2 goodish pull-ups. Today with 6 sets it didn't feel too bad, but later this week I have 11 and 13 sets, which is a little daunting pull-up wise, and I don't want that to mess with the Press progression. So maybe every other set, or 1-2 per ladder. I've never been great at pull-ups, even when I was an active rock climber, but at 200 lb it's definitely a challenge. So definitely something I'd like to work on.
I’m basically the same. I’m pretty proud of being able to do 5-6 at 220. Going from practically 0 last year. Something that has really helped me are dead hangs. Now i started adding brachiation into them as well. So i start in a pronated grip, then switch one hand at a time to supinated, it has really helped my stability in shoulders and core.

I’m basically the same. I’m pretty proud of being able to do 5-6 at 220. Going from practically 0 last year. Something that has really helped me are dead hangs. Now i started adding brachiation into them as well. So i start in a pronated grip, then switch one hand at a time to supinated, it has really helped my stability in shoulders and core.
Thanks for the recommendation. When I do a good cool down and stretching I do a dead hang or two. I like this addition

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom