all posts post new thread

Conor’s Training Log - Fighting Entropic Decay

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Today’s Practice:
KB Burn Express week 1 day 5

Light grind day: 2X28kg
8X2 DMP
7X2 DFSQ

Feeling good coming to the end of week one. Diet has stayed pretty on point and training is going well. I have definitely kept some in the tank every day, almost feeling like I coulda pushed myself a bit more but playing the long game and really want to be able to ramp up over the 4 weeks. I also wanted to be careful not to overdo it early on the calorie restrictions until I figure out how recovery is going to go.

Today’s practice: KB Burn Express Week 1 Day 6

8X7 @ 2X20kg
DSW
DCL

This wraps up the practice for week 1, tomorrow is a rest day and I’m looking forward to it. Gotta pile on the gas a bit next week. As for today, very excited for Cheat day, it’ll be a good refeed :)

Starting weight: 199.5
Today’s weight: 192.2

Yesterday’s practice: rest and fasting. Good day, needed the rest. Hardest part was the BCAAs, I was supposed to have 13-14 servings per Geoff’s recommendation but hit a wall at 11 or 12. If I run the program again I’m gonna buy 2 flavors and alternate throughout the day.

Today’s practice:
KB Burn Express Week 2 Day 1

(1/2/3)X3 + 1 @ 2X28kg
DMP
DFSQ

I was just reading Geoff’s training journal and he typically superset these together. I’ve been setting it down in between every set - I’ll see about super setting maybe the Light day this week or next week. I’m not gonna start that on the straight sets of 3 Wednesday.

All in all I’m enjoying the program so far. I keep wondering if I should push myself a little harder on the sets, but as of week 1 I’m down 7.3 pounds and I’m still going strong. So I maybe could push a bit harder but I upped a little today and I’m gonna be happy with that, still playing the long game, and if the weight keeps dropping then goal achieved.

Today’s Practice:
KB Burn Express Week 2 Day 2

(2/4/6) X 4 @ 2X20kg
DSW
DCL

Actually felt pretty good, especially given a latish flight last night and not the best sleep. This is the workout I missed last week so I don’t have a baseline to compare it to, but it was close to or more than my Medium day last week. Supersetting the swings and cleans helped with that. Doubt I can do that for the heavy day with straight sets of 8 (not even sure I can keep it up the whole time for medium days straight sets of 6-7).

I love picking hotels in NYC based on access to Five Points gym. I definitely dig that place, wish I had something like it close to home. I’ve got a potential spot in Toronto to try tomorrow, hope they allow drop ins.

Yesterday’s practice:

KB Burn Extreme Week 2 Day 3

3X8 @ 2X28kg of:
DMP
DFSQ

It was an interesting day. I was on the road all day, but found a gym and squeezed in the workout. Tried supersetting the presses and squats, could only do it for about half the sets, but it definitely upped the intensity. I definitely pushed a bit harder today, which felt good. The place I went also only had competition bells which definitely had a slight difference in weight distribution, worked me a little differently and may have made it a bit more challenging.

Went for sushi with colleagues which definitely was a little more than I have eaten in a while, but also compared to giant sushi meals I’ve eaten in the past I really didn’t have too much. I’d almost fasted the entire day up to that which is a helpful portion moderator. So, not perfect diet wise but back to it today and hopefully no massive impact.

Today’s practice:

KB Burn Express
Week 2 Day 4

Alternating sets of 6 and 7, 4 each
2X20kg
DSW
DCL

I superset the sets of 6, but did the 7s separately. Felt pretty pretty good, and went from 42 reps last week to 52 this week. Actually almost as much as the “heavy” day for swings and cleans last week.

Nice to be home, even though I didn’t get to squeeze my workout in until right before dinner since I flew this morning. And I had lots of small company in the gym.

Today’s Practice:

KB Burn Express
Week 2 Day 5

2X11 @ 2X20kg
DMP
DFSQ

Today felt great, weirdly. Went into it feeling a little like crap, but was able to really crank. Considering I did 19 and 24 reps total on the medium and heavy days, and 22 on my light day, I’ll say that being home has a huge advantage over traveling. Though I also did way more than last week too; so who knows. Feeling good going into the weekend and the weight is definitely still trending down. Great results so far.

Today’s practice:

KB Burn Express
Week 2 Day 6

7X8 @ 2X20kg
DSW
DCL

Matched last week’s output, was not a stellar day but I still got good work in. One of the babies woke me up at 4:45, and he went back to sleep but I didn’t so I just got up and got the workout in knowing it was going to o be a busy day. So I was a little shy on sleep and fasted, which I’m sure took a little of my edge off. Good day nonetheless.

I’m most proud of the fact that last night was pizza night and I successfully abstained. Took a bit of willpower, that’s for sure.

Today’s practice:

KB Burn Express
Week 3 Day 1 (halfway through!)

Current weight: 189.3 (down 10.2 so far)

(1/2/3)X4+1 @2X28kg
DMP
DFSQ

Woof, happy to be on the downhill half of the program (except for the whole this week ups the intensity a lot part of it). I was annoyed this morning at weighting in much more than expected, but that’s okay. Ended up out of the house all day and worked out at 4p, so a biggish lunch and a protein shake and dinner should hopefully keep things on track.

Workout was brutal, got an entire extra ladder in over last Monday, so I’m pleased with the results. 25 total reps of each, definitely the most I’ve put into one session so far. I superset almost every set; except the last set of 3, and tested between the presses and squats that round. Barely hit the 3rd press, so putting em down for a minute seemed prudent.

Today’s practice:

KB Burn Express
Week 3 Day 2

(2/4/6)X5 + 2 @ 2X20kg
DSW
DCL

Today was killer, got a whole extra ladder in and a bonus set of 2 compared to last week. Similar to yesterday, this is the most reps I’ve completed in a given day yet. Setting a high bar for the rest of the week, but feeling really great going into Week 3. Starting to think about what to run next, I may follow @Geoff Neupert ‘s recommendation to follow this up with his RMF program. Never done jerks, so I’ll either have to do the Push Presses or work my way into them. We’ll see.

Today’s practice:

KB Burn Express
Week 3 Day 3 (day 17 overall)

9X3 @ 2X28kg
DMP
DFSQ

Managed one more set than last week, but was pushing it to just get that. Tried to pace for getting 10 full sets but it wasn’t happening. I was riding the wave of recovery between sets with the last rep of my presses being right at the edge for failure on at least 3-4 of them. Didn’t miss a rep, though, so I hit it just about right. Might have been a little closer to a 10 RPE than a 9, but that’s okay. Pushing hard this last week before deloading to really get the most out of the program.

Today’s Practice:

KB Burn Express
Week 3 Day 4

9X7 @ 2X20kg
DSW
DCL

Got in another set over last week, and kept the sets all at 7 instead of alternating 6/7. Definitely pushed hard, borderline on the RPE 9 or 10 again today. It wore my lower back out something fierce, so I’m being very deliberate throughout the rest of the day to stretch and help it recover. Want to finish the week strong with enough recovery to finish out the program. On the plus side, I’m down 13.5 lbs so far, so from a weight loss perspective it’s an unquestionable success. Much more definition in the shoulders, arms, and legs, and carved off a good amount of belly so far. I’ve got 10 more days in me, but I am definitely looking forward to this being over. Woof.

Today’s Practice:

KB Burn Express
Week 3 Day 5

13X2 @ 2X28kg
DMP
DFSQ

Successfully upped the intensity another notch and added 2 sets more than last Friday. That’s despite the fact that I can definitely feel the accumulated fatigue of the program setting in.

The veins in my arms are coming back through and the belly is definitely shrinking. I’m very happy with the progress from the program and while I look forward to wrapping it up I will definitely come back to it in a few months to carve some more off. Maybe in the late fall before I start running my SFG prep.

Today’s practice:

KB Burn Express
Week 3 Day 6

9X8 @ 2X20kg
DSW
DCL

Today went far better than expected. My back is still angry from Thursday’s session, to the point that I contemplated skipping today entirely. But I spent the morning stretching and relaxing as best I could until it felt okay. I figured that I would focus on good reps and good sets, and if I started to wear out or irritate it further I’d just increase rest as necessary or stop.

But instead I got 2 more sets than last week, and felt good all the way through. Solid reps, protected my back on every rep. One contributor is that I think the last couple weeks I worked out early and today was well into the day so I was nice and fed from cheat day. But focusing on clean technique over volume actually produced more volume. Good reminder.

The other thing that helped was that I set a goal with the clock and kept to it, same thing yesterday. That seems to have been much more effective for total volume than being completely auto regulated. I think perhaps I don’t rest enough in between my early sets, and wear myself out prematurely. Anyway, for future auto regulation workouts I’m going to try to have specific rest goals based on my first baselines and see how that goes, instead of just setting a timer and ignoring the clock.

Today’s practice:

Blah.
9X3 (minus one missed rep) @ 2X28kg
DMP
DFSQ

Today sucked. Multiple sets where I barely got the 3rd press. I ended up taking 2 days rest because I was traveling yesterday, and I think the travel definitely blunted my edge today. Didn’t eat much yesterday either because of the travel so I’m coming off a 36 hour fast and a salad. I can confidently say I was at an RPE of 10, though, there was nothing more to give. I’m home for the rest of the week, looking forward to finishing as strong as possible and seeing if I can get down to 20 pounds lost overall :)

Today’s practice

KB Burn Express
Week 4 day 3

7X10 @ 2X20kg
DSW
DCL

Honestly if felt like just getting to the mat today was an RPE of 10. No lie, these last couple sessions have been super rough. 2 more, then I’ll have been able to know that I did my best to complete it. I’ve certainly had the desired effects of significant weight loss. Looking forward to switching back to more of a strength building program. I’ll write a quick review of the program once I’m done.

Today’s practice

KB Burn Express
Week 4 Day 5

13X6 @ 2X20kg
DSW
DCL

It’s always interesting to see how a week turns out. Today was supposed to be my light day for swings and cleans, but did more than the heavy day (78 v 70) and in fact my highest day for the entire program. I obviously felt much better today than I did earlier this week. We’ll see how I feel tomorrow, my workouts are staggered by a day this week so I’ll either do the last session tomorrow or Sunday. I’m hoping to have a solid set and hit my most reps on that for the program as well, so the day of rest could be beneficial. We’ll see how I feel.

Today’s practice:

KB Burn Express
Week 4 Day 7

7X4 @ 2X28kg
DMP
DFSQ

Done with KBBX and not a minute too soon. The combination of 4 weeks of progressively harder sessions with reduced calories and accumulated fatigue is intense. Down 17.5 pounds though, so it certainly had the desired outcome.

Traveling next week so going to have a pretty serious deload, assuming I won’t have access to any kettlebells I’ll just do some Naked Warrior body weight work. Going to be very careful on the diet while traveling and avoid doing too much damage. After that I’m probably going to spend the next month doing lighter work and focusing on making my lower back happy again.

Little bit of catch up:

Last week: Rest week while traveling, I did some mobility work every day and walked a crap ton. Enjoyed the down week, glad I timed the KBBX program to done before I went.

Weekend: ~8 hours across the 2 days brush clearing, cutting up downed trees, and splitting wood. Brutal.

Monday’s Practice: Neupert’s RMF program, Week 1 Day 1

LC C&J @ 2X20kg
12X5
Total reps: 60

Today’s Practice:
RMF Week 1 Day 2
LC C&J @ 2X20kg
(2/4/6)X5 and (2/4)X1
Total reps: 66

I’m enjoying the C&J. Never done jerks really, and definitely not long cycle like this. I’m “only” doing it with 20s, and that’s already no joke.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom