all posts post new thread

Consistency beats intensity

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jhpowers

Level 6 Valued Member
Okay,
My New Years resolution is to maintain a log on the StrongFirst forum. Here is my introduction.

I am currently 48 at 5 foot 6 weighting 168 lb (76kg). I've been doing kettlebell and barbell work for the past 4 years after a long sedentary period from the age of 26 to 44. As career and kids took over my life, I had ballooned to almost 190lb and, worse yet, had become very deconditioned. I was drawn to kettlebell because they seemed to address strength and conditioning with only one tool. When I started, I was embarrassed to be struggling to snatch and clean with only the 12 kg bell. This was partially strength related but the kettlebell revealed shoulder mobility issues that had been previously not apparent (because I was totally sedentary).

Since that time, I've had lots of training ADHD and have rotated between kettlebell and barbell programs every 3-6 months. This was partially due to a desire for variety but also partially due to repeatedly running into minor injuries that led to changes in program to work around the difficulties. I've worked with a few SFG's over the years, but last year I asked one to help me with programming with the intent to get stronger without hurting myself. I worked with Arryn for 9 months and felt that both my strength and movement substantially improved.

Now I'm pursuing Simple and Sinister. My goal is to meet the simple standard and then transition to the bent press. My goal is to have greater consistency and stick with the program until I meet the standards. The bent press will be something of a challenge as I don't currently have the thoracic or shoulder mobility to do it without some pain and "no go" signals from my body. These days I'm doing arm bars and they seem to be helping now that I'm doing them correctly.

I started S&S at the beginning of November. Since then, I've varied between 3-6 workouts per week depending on holiday travel, meetings, etc. I'm a little worried that this log may be fairly boring as my workouts don't vary much from day to day. Here is today's workout.

Pull over 12kg
Arm bar 12kg
Bent arm bar 12kg x 3+3
Tall sit press 12 kg x 3+3

(Circuit)
Goblet squat 24kg x 5/3
Bridge x 5/3
Halo 16kg x 5+5/3

Pull over 12kg
Arm bar 12kg
Bent arm bar 12 kg x 3+3

Swings 1hs
32 kg 10 x 10 in 10:04

TGU
24 kg 1+1 x 5 in 13:25

90 stretch x 90 count
QL stretch x 60 count
Bretzel x 90 count

My right medial elbow has been off/on aggravated by goblet squats. I've been substituting 16kg double front squats while still trying to push downward without spinal flexion for flexibility. I'll probably have to resume that. I am also struggling a little with my lefthanded grip on the swings. Not a big problem, but just a little tougher to hold on than I would like. Otherwise, everything felt pretty good.

Last edited:
Welcome. Great intro. Don't worry about being boring or exciting ... that's not what the logs are about.

Pull over 12kg
Arm bar 12kg
Bent arm bar 12kg x 3+3

(Circuit)
Goblet squat 24kg x 5/3
Bridge x 5/3
Halo 16kg x 5+5/3

Pull over 12kg
Arm bar 12kg
Bent arm bar 12 kg x 3+3

Swings 1hs
32 kg 10 x 10 in 12:46

TGU
24 kg 1+1 x 5 in 9:39

90 stretch x 90 count
QL stretch x 60 count
Bretzel x 90 count

Weekdays I work out in the evening,whereas, on weekends I workout in the morning after my am coffee. The evening workouts always feel a little less vital. I think that the days stress wears me down more. Also, I would love to get more sleep during the week but it just doesn't happen.

I like my current warm-up with the transition from arm bar to bent arm bar to tall sit press in one sequence of movements with among the wieght. It really feels like exploring the get up and bent press movements.

Last edited:
Pull over 12kg
Arm bar 12kg
Bent arm bar 12kg x 3+3

(Circuit)
Goblet squat 24kg x 5/3
Bridge x 5/3
Halo 16kg x 5+5/3

Pull over 12kg
Arm bar 12kg
Bent arm bar 12 kg x 3+3

Swings 1hs
32 kg 10 x 10 in 12:04

TGU
24,24,28,24, 24 in 16:08

90 stretch x 90 count
QL stretch x 60 count
Bretzel x 90 count

I cut out the tall sit side presses today because I knew that I was going to introduce a bigger bell for the TGU. I thought that I might save just a slight bit of shoulder endurance that way.

My swings sucked! Not much power today. I think that my garage was too cold that I didn't feel warmed up until the last set.

Started introducing the 28kg into my TGU sequence today. I suspect that I could have gone straight to the 32 (previous 1RM) but I wasn't comfortable with my left wrist position. Also, I frequently work out when home alone. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
@Swann 1 Thanks for the high five!

Today's workout:

Arm bar 12kg
Bent arm bar 12kg x 3+3

(Circuit)
Goblet squat 24kg x 5/3
Bridge x 5/3
Halo 16kg x 5+5/3

Arm bar 12kg
Bent arm bar 12 kg x 3+3

Swings 1hs
32 kg 10 x 10 in 10:54

TGU
24,24,28,24,24 in 17:57

90 stretch x 90 count
QL stretch x 60 count
Bretzel x 90 count

Introducing the 28 still feels pretty good in terms of strength but my wife is out of town and I'm managing lots of teen transport. My mind wasn't clear and I felt that resulted in a few wonky out of balance instants on the way up on left.

I have to confess that I rushed the stretching. Stretching is like flossing my teeth. I find it annoying to have to do but I always notice benefits when I am consistent.

Arm bar 12kg
Bent arm bar 12kg x 3+3

(Circuit)
Goblet squat 24kg x 5/3
Bridge x 5/3
Halo 16kg x 5+5/3

Arm bar 12kg
Bent arm bar 12 kg x 3+3

Swings 2HS
40 kg 10 x 10 in 14:25

TGU
24,28,28,24,24 in 13:25

90 stretch x 90 count
QL stretch x 60 count
Bretzel x 90 count

Bent arm bars at starting to feel good. Three months ago I couldn't even do regular arms bars with pain due to restrictions in shoulder and thoracic mobility, but now my chest and shoulders are opening up. I'm backing off on other bent press progressions (e.g. Tall sit presses, etc) as I introduce the 28kg bell into my S&S.

I do heavier (for me) 2HS on Sundays. I don't know why. It just feels good to throw something big around.

@Kozushi - 2hs didn't feel sissy this time. I think that I'm secure enough in my masculinity to swing one hand or two hand. Frankly, however, I'm a little afraid of the snatch. (Hoping you take that comment with the good humor intended. I've got a sarcastic sense of humor but I appreciate your posts and no ill will is intended).

I introduced another set with the 28 because I was feeling strong so far. Felt good. In some ways I feel more solid with the 28 than the 24. I think my body generates more tension in response to the stimulus and that feels more solid. But I'm more fatigued after each rep and take a little longer rest period afterwards.

Arm bar 12kg
Bent arm bar 12kg x 3+3

(Circuit)
Goblet squat 24kg x 5/3
Bridge x 5/3
Halo 16kg x 5+5/3

Arm bar 12kg
Bent arm bar 12 kg x 3+3

Swings 2HS
40 kg 10 x 10 in 14:25

TGU
24,28,28,24,24 in 13:25

90 stretch x 90 count
QL stretch x 60 count
Bretzel x 90 count

Bent arm bars at starting to feel good. Three months ago I couldn't even do regular arms bars with pain due to restrictions in shoulder and thoracic mobility, but now my chest and shoulders are opening up. I'm backing off on other bent press progressions (e.g. Tall sit presses, etc) as I introduce the 28kg bell into my S&S.

I do heavier (for me) 2HS on Sundays. I don't know why. It just feels good to throw something big around.

@Kozushi - 2hs didn't feel sissy this time. I think that I'm secure enough in my masculinity to swing one hand or two hand. Frankly, however, I'm a little afraid of the snatch. (Hoping you take that comment with the good humor intended. I've got a sarcastic sense of humor but I appreciate your posts and no ill will is intended).

I introduced another set with the 28 because I was feeling strong so far. Felt good. In some ways I feel more solid with the 28 than the 24. I think my body generates more tension in response to the stimulus and that feels more solid. But I'm more fatigued after each rep and take a little longer rest period afterwards.
If you are truly manly would you indeed fear the snatch? :)

I'm more sarcastic, no? :)

Arm bar 12kg
Bent arm bar 12kg x 3+3

(Circuit)
Goblet squat 24kg x 5/3
Bridge x 5/3
Halo 16kg x 5+5/3

Arm bar 12kg
Bent arm bar 12kg x 3+3

Swings 1hs
32 kg 10 x 10 in 11:37

TGU
24,24,28,24,24 in 13:25

90 stretch x 90 count
QL stretch x 60 count
Bretzel x 90 count

My mother died today. We had a difficult relationship but it was a good end and we healed some old wounds. I spent the day with family reminiscing about the good times with her. It was a meaningful but hard day.

In this face of all this, the solitude and consistency of the workout was a solace, an eye in the midst of a hurricane.

My condolences on your loss. Very true that our training is often therapeutic to heart and mind as well as body.

Very sorry for your loss.

Thanks, guys. Maybe that was weird to post, but I've often contemplated the idea that

"Strength has a higher purpose."

And mused on its meaning. Part of why I post about this on my training log was to say that my strength training is more than an athletic activity. I really find that it adds to my psychological sturdiness as well.

Arm bar 12kg
Bent arm bar 12kg x 3+3

(Circuit)
Goblet squat 24kg x 5/3
Bridge x 5/3
Halo 16kg x 5+5/3

Arm bar 12kg
Bent arm bar 12 kg x 3+3

Swings 1hs
32 kg 10 x 10 in 14:06

TGU
24,28,28,28,24 in 14:55

90 stretch x 90 count
QL stretch x 60 count
Bretzel x 90 count

Buried in 12 inches of snow yesterday. I shoveled the drive way to move my wife's car out so that I could do my workout, but by the end I no that I'd already worked out. Snow shoveling as loaded carries? I'm sure it is less tiring if you are experienced but this rarely happens here.

BAM! My get ups feel great. So, I added another 28kg set. My body seems to be responding differently to the larger weight. The opposing leg is more involved the role to elbow. The lats pull me to tall sit. The chest stays large throughout. I know was might have just been very ready for the step up.

Warm up
(Same as last)

S&S
Swings 1hs
32 kg 10 x 10 in 14:13

TGU
24,28,28,28,24 in 14:34

Stretching
(Same as last)

Nothing special just a punch the clock kind of workout. Really focused on the during the swing and noticed a little uptick in power. Struggling just a little with grip on left handed swings.

Warm up
(Same as last)

S&S
Swings 1hs
32 kg 10 x 10 in 12:12

TGU
24,28,28,28,28 in 19:48

Stretching
(Same as last)

Another punch the clock workout. I'm still struggling a little with left hand grip fatigue on the swings. Some of this is from working out three days in a row after being less consistent over the holidays.

Also, it's amazing how much can be learned rom doing the same two exercises day after day with such consistency. I felt like today and yesterday I had a better sense of the glutes powering the swing and tilting the pelvis into a plank at the top.

I added in a fourth set of 28kg. It feels like a fast progression but my body isn't telling me to slow down (either during the workout or after - recovery seems good). I really have to focus on forcing myself to extend the rest periods as I'm always too eager to get back to the bell, but making myself take 2-3 minutes between sets seems to be making this easy.

Warm up
(Same as last)

S&S
Swings 2hs
40 kg 10 x 10 in 13:26

TGU
Shoe get up (untimed) - Multiple fail due to balance. Left sooner than right.
24,28,28,28,28 in 19:14

Stretching
(Same as last)

My first get up is always the hardest. I put in the Shoe get up for more movement specific warm up.

Warm up
(Same as last)

S&S
Swings 1hs
32 kg 10 x 10 in 1154

TGU
Naked get up 1+1 (slow untimed)
1+1 x 24,28,28,28,28 in 21:58

Stretching
(Same as last)

Okay, starting to feel a little worn down by the 28kg TGU. I may take a deload tomorrow. I'll see how I feel. On the other hand it feels like if I extend the rest periods long enough then I can do just about anything (I realize that is an exaggeration).

Also, I initially added the bent arm bar to my warm up with the hopes of one day doing bent presses, but I feel like the are teaching me something that I have not yet sorted out about scapular and shoulder positioning during the get up...an unexpected synergy.

Arm bar 12kg
Bent arm bar 12kg x 3+3

(Circuit)
Goblet squat 24kg x 5/3
Bridge x 5/3
Halo 16kg x 5+5/3

Arm bar 12kg
Bent arm bar 12 kg x 3+3

Swings 1hs
32 kg 10 x 10 in 12:55 (interrupted by 12 yo daughter with iTunes demands)

TGU
28,28,28,28,28 in 21:20

90 stretch x 90 count
QL stretch x 60 count
Bretzel x 90 count

Okay...okay...I know that I said that I as going to deload, but I felt really strong when I got to the TGU and I went the other direction instead and did all five sets with the 28kg. It felt great and I've got evening meetings tomorrow. So, I'll have a rest day. I don't know what happened that the get up is going so smoothly right now. I thin at all me the magic extended (3-3.5 min) rest periods, but I also think that some things about the movement have suddenly clear clicked in. In any case, I'm having fun.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom