all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Contact sports post COVD

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

conor78

Level 6 Valued Member
Governments over here starting to leak details of how to operate gyms and some sports post COVD. Soccer has restarted in the professional leagues but that’s with extensive testing and no crowds. Some guidance given to amateur sports but nobody can really see how it works. I can see how a gym might possibly operate post COVD but local sports clubs such as rugby and martial arts clubs, boxing clubs have no idea how they will operate. For something such as BJJ how will that work?

It will be interesting to see what the policies will be. I imagine that testing will become widespread enough that perhaps, if you test negative, you’ll be allowed to participate in a contact sport, but that’s purely a guess on my part. Or maybe you have to have two negative tests two weeks apart. Or something.

-S-

Governments over here starting to leak details of how to operate gyms and some sports post COVD. Soccer has restarted in the professional leagues but that’s with extensive testing and no crowds. Some guidance given to amateur sports but nobody can really see how it works. I can see how a gym might possibly operate post COVD but local sports clubs such as rugby and martial arts clubs, boxing clubs have no idea how they will operate. For something such as BJJ how will that work?
That's a great question. I know that my BJJ center is currently working privates with a pretty substantial cleaning after. There's a plan to reduce class sizes to 1/3 to 1/2 for the foreseeable future with temps and a questionnaire to be accomplished prior to walking in the doors. Things here in Virginia have been slow to open and I assume that gyms will be operating at a pretty low percentage of clients.

I'm really worried for the amateur sporting scene (never mind the senior circuits!). So many questions that have no answers, and currently no feasible plan. My heart goes out to kids.

I'm wondering if we see a rise in tennis and golf participation. Even things like squash/racquetball although it's an enclosed space. Perhaps track and field starts to get more exposure and respect, at least in North America where it's rarely discussed?

It's highly possible that there would be more participation in non-contact sports like golf and cycling as long as the pandemic is still an issue. I am curious about how the policies would turn out eventually since many parts of the world are slowly opening up.

I coach my sons rugby's team, I dont see us back playing in the uk before towards the end of the year at the earliest, quite probably next year. I think we will lose some players along the way.

It will all depend on the local government guidelines. Here is what one school is thinking:

Class sizes would be reduced to a maximum of 8 students.
We would add several more classes to the schedule at varying start times and shorten class length.
Students would pick a two class per week block that they are locked into so that each session always has the same students in it.
Each student's temperature will be taken with a forehead thermometer on entering.
Students would remain with one partner during the entire class session. Siblings, and people who live together will remain together.
Parents would need to drop their kids off at the door, and could not come inside during class to reduce the number of people in the building.
All students would need to come dressed for class, as the dressing rooms are not to be used.
Students will need to either leave in their training gear, or throw on sweats over their gear to leave class.
If any member of a class 'pod' becomes sick, the entire pod must quarantine for 2 weeks.

In Australia, public health authorities appear to be far more confident in their quarantine, testing, track and trace responses and less insistent on bans and limitations. Gyms are open albeit with numbers controlled, many community sports are returning to training with competitions slated to commence in July. Spectators are expected to return to elite sports (which are mostly already in competition) in July also.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom