all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Contrast showers

• Thread starter Deleted member 316
  • Start date
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@pet' do you use cold showers or do you the ice water immersion that WH recommends? I would be interested if you could get the benefits with just the showers, as the baths would be impractical for me day to day.

I have had good results with contrast showers. However... I believe that full immersion or dousing might be better.
I am fortunate enough to have a hot tub beside a swimming pool. In summer it's not much use, but in winter that's a different story. The pool gets pretty cold, and it's quite invigorating cycling between the two.

I have had good results with contrast showers. However... I believe that full immersion or dousing might be better.
I am fortunate enough to have a hot tub beside a swimming pool. In summer it's not much use, but in winter that's a different story. The pool gets pretty cold, and it's quite invigorating cycling between the two.
Did that this weekend, hot tub 106 f to pool 58 f, 2 cycles.. felt great

I've been looking for the minimum effective dose for cold exposure. I have to redo my shower and I want to make sure there is no regulator limiting the cold temp of the water. Living here in Connecticut I could certainly use the outside for my cold exposure in the winter. Although my neighbors will think I'm pretty weird. I guess they know that anyway.

Hello,

@DrFierce
I use the cold shower on a daily basis. I never use hot or even lukewarm water (excepted when I am in a sauna for instance), even at the beginning. I go straight in cold. I think that the ice bath is more efficient. However I noticed that this is easier to get in the ice bath and stay in it because water is not "moving" so there is no relative movement and the body can make a a thin surface of water warmer so it "isolates" you.

Based on what I read, as long as the water is below 17 or 18°C, you can get a lot of benefits. This is what I do. Even if in winter, water is below 18. Basically, I stay about 6-7 minutes. From time to time, I prepare a few liters of water in the fridge to do a dousing right after the shower.

I get plenty of benefits: recovery, cold air resistance, sickness resistance, etc...

Kind regards,

Pet'

try the 2 minutes early morning and late evening, outside 3 hours of training as you dont want to blunt training response. i use a chest freezer at 32-35 degrees. K starr says anything longer than 2 mins is unecessary. see brad kearns youtube video on chest freezer cold baths. game changer.!

I read that cold after training isn't good because it doesn't allow the natural healing of the body or something like that. Now what constitutes training? Is a brief s&s session in the morning training? Obviously a deadlift session is training.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom