all posts post new thread

Nutrition Cooking?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Butch

Level 1 Valued Member
Is there any advantage in cooking stuff that's already edible ?
For example veggies, fruits?
If you cook them can you eat more of them beacuse they are more digestable?
Cooking makes them more absorable or not?
Does cooking destroy nutrients or makes them more absorbable ?

I mean some stuff you need to cook like grains or beans to make them eatable.

Read; some things are different an arguably better when cooked; some not. Don't know of anyone eating uncooked grains or beans.

-S-

I largely agree with Steve's "some things are different" with the caveat (or clarification at least) that this applies both to different types of foods *and* to nutrients within the same food.

There are advantages. There are also disadvantages ... mostly likely what you really want to know is 'do the gains outweigh the losses' .... and the answer is 'it depends'. This article is a decent starting point Fact or Fiction: Raw veggies are healthier than cooked ones. There's a lot more info out there but hard to quickly find a good authoritative source- quick search, as with anything about nutrition, a finds mostly articles that talk a lot but don't say much. Short version- you can gain some things and lose others when you cook veggies. So you can look more in-depth at individual veggies, go with taste or, my completely unscientific method, just try to mix it up and sometimes have raw, sometimes cooked on the theory that doing so can make even out the inconsistencies between cooked/uncooked.

There is no doubt that cooking, in general, makes digestion easier and faster. After that, things get messy. It is not only a matter of something being cooked or not, it is about how is it cooked, at what temperature it is eaten at, how thoroughly cooked the food is etc.

If you eat things raw, I'd recommend to get the food in your stomach as fine as possible, whether it is done with your teeth or a blender or similar is a matter of taste.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom