all posts post new thread

Barbell Cool (I think) deadlift story.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

MattM

SFG1
I haven't deadlifted off of the floor in 10+ years or touched a barbell in 2 years. Last week I went with my gf to her gym to spot her on the bench. She was also doing some deads so I gave it a go with 185. Just did one rep and was very surprised at how easy it was. That kinda sparked the deadlift bug and I decided that I would try to test my one rep max.

Fast forward to yesterday. I ended up pulling 405 sumo for just one rep (don't think I could have gotten another). I was extremely happy that I was able to do this as it is a movement that I haven't practiced since the early 2000's (when I was clueless and hurt my back (the first time)). Over the years I have done many stiff/romanian/kb/single leg deads and many heavy swings over the past 3 years.

I realize that this is by no means a huge number or overly impressive (and I'm not bragging), but I'm happy. Now I just need a deadlift program *sigh*

Moral of the story: Next time someone tells you kettlebells don't make/keep you strong, tell them to pound sand.

Last edited:
Maybe for some. I stopped deadlifting, did nothing but S&S for 6 months and my deadlift dropped. Results may vary.

Mine dropped about 30 pounds, too. I think it was because my grip was the limiting factor in help weight, so while my grip got stronger, my hips got weaker. I never really used the shadow swings like I probably should have. Solution: I started to throw 2H swings into the mix so I can really let it rip. We'll see how it goes.

Side note: I still have a 2x BW deadlifts, if only just.

First and foremost, I would like to thank the SF-community, and Pavel for their expertise. I can't imagine a life without the strength and health I get from kettlebells.

MattM, I echo your experience. I got started with kb training through martial arts over a decade ago through Tommy Blom in Sweden (best coach I've ever had in any sport/activity) and I have been hooked ever since. Some of my highlights in kb training so far are: 1. strict military press of 40 kg kettlebell with both hands at 82-83 kg bw for ladders, 2. 180 snatches for the SSST (not great by any means), 3. One arm swinging the 56 kg bell for 50 reps, and 4. OAP with both hands, 4 reps on right side, 3 on left (I did this when I was doing high volume Long cycle with 2x 32 kg bells). Punchline; I have stuck completely to kb training and never done any barbell training at all.

A few months ago I decided I would like to give the deadlift a go since it seems to be the twin of the kb swing. So I took a lesson to learn the lift and then I practiced with the new barbell-equipment I had ordered. I pulled 150 kg (330 lbs) as a PR on my first ever serious DL session without a belt or any such assistance. A 150 kg deadlift is not fantastic by any means, but please remember that it was the first time I ever performed the lift in my life, having only done kettlebells before. I fully intend to make this the start of my dl-journey, and not the end of it. It should also be noted that I could have added a bit more weight to the bar for a true max.

This reinforces what Matt wrote and most of us know already; anyone who dismisses the kettlebell as a strength builder simply doesnt know what he/she is talking about.

@Chicago, Thank you so much for those words, that is really nice to hear.

That is some really nice numbers over all and if I did have anything to do with those numbers I'm really happy!

Where and when did you train with me (I might have a clue because of the name).

/Tommy

@Tommy Blom, Master SFG, welcome to the new StrongFirst forum!

Ladies and Gentlemen, Tommy is a world-level instructor of Krav Maga. I forget his exact title/rank - Tommy, please tell us, and thank you very much.

-S-

Well done by all
I know for myself I don't worry about maintaining a 2x+ BW DL through my KB practice

Dear Tommy,

Yes, I use the same name I used at the Girya.se/forum-site. I trained Kravmaga under your tutelage in Gothenburg and also did thaiboxing and boxing during that time. You introduced me to kbs in 2004 if my memory serves me correctly. IF I have had any success in lifting, it´s because I´m standing on your shoulders;)

My program for now is 3 days of kettlebells per week and one day of barbell training combined with lots of hiking. I will always have the kbs as my base and use the barbell for deadlifts and Zerchers as a high- quality addition to that. However, my goal for the DL is to achieve 2x bodyweight and then keep climbing.

Thank you to both Steve and Brett!

@Chicago Glad to hear and thank you agin for those words!
Hope you're doing well (asides for the lifting that obviously goes well :) )

Dear Tommy,

Im doing great, I moved from Sweden many years ago for career purposes. The very first thing I did was to order two kettlebells in order to keep up the routines you taught me.

Matt; I know and even though it shouldn´t be surprising it actually was. An observation; I´m in the process of trying to close the CoC2.5 and I´m almost there. The reason I bring it up is that I started doing grueling, heavy farmer´s walks with kettlebells after each workout to improve my grip. The carryover to the deadlift was impressive, both in terms of grip and overall stability in the lift. It´s of course too early to draw any major conclusions, but it wouldn´t surprise me if one can improve the DL PR a bit this way. The farmer´s walk is HIGHLY underrated in my view and it´s now something I do for every session.

@Chicago The farmers walk, and other related heavy carry exercises have helped my deadlift tremendously. They build much more than just your grip. I also like to put a carry at the end of my workouts.

The COC#2.5 is a challenge for sure. I have been stuck there for a long time. The COC#3 has been elusive for me, I am close on the right, not so close on the left. Keep at it heavy grippers have huge carryover to life, and lifting.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom