all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Cool KB Front Squat Article plus Programme

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I like the article, the programming tips, and most of the observations. Nevertheless, I feel compelled to pick some nits.
The biggest selling points of the front squat to me are the additional abdominal involvement, the lessened lower-back stress and lower CNS fatigue.
Ab involvement for sure, but the claims of reduced lower-back stress and CNS fatigue are questionable, especially the latter. Greg Knuckol's articles comparing high bar, low bar, front squats have convinced me that stress on the spinal erectors in all of these exercises is probably rather close when working at a similar RM range. The weight in a front squat is less, but the leverage on the back is less favorable (the horizontal distance from bar to hips is greater), so it evens out.

Regarding CNS fatigue, few topics are more misunderstood in strength training. CNS fatigue is basically the inability of the brain to stimulate muscular contraction. It can be measured by measuring the difference between voluntary contraction and involuntary contraction (where you contract the muscles with electrodes). "Peripheral fatigue" (in the muscle) reduces both while CNS fatigue reduces voluntary contraction only. (Also, peripheral fatigue seems to cause central fatigue. It's complicated.)

Training heavier tends to make you feel beat up (not a technical term), and that feeling can last for days. In contrast, CNS fatigue resolves within hours. It's common for people to refer to feelings of overall fatigue as CNS fatigue, but this is just using fancy words for saying "you feel bad." Your humble servant would prefer that use of technical language follow the technical literature better. For more on CNS fatigue, see Henselmans 3 CNS Fatigue Myths or Beardsley Why does central nervous system (CNS) fatigue happen during strength training? https://medium.com/@SandCResearch/h...o-central-nervous-system-fatigue-93f36e1cbaa3

It's certainly plausible that front squats beat you up less than back squats. I don't have the experience to know since I basically don't train front squats, and, anyway, I'm not strong enough to really know what training "heavy" feels like (my best deadlift was 1.3*my bodyweight for two sets of 4). But I'm nerdy and I will have my say about technical matters.

Al Ciampa wrote this in the Wim Hof thread:
The older I grow and the more I learn, the more I realize that intelligent and effective folks focus on the practice while keeping an eye on the theory.
So, like, whatever makes front squats special, they are great.

So who has tried it? Sounds simple and with a longer than emom break sounds easy, but we all know those pesky bells always sneak up on you

I just realized that anytime we do the ABC we are basically doing the same thing.

Should we be doing ABC emom or every two minutes as in the article?
I have done it with an SFG many times. We do it "I go you go". It turns out to be EMOM, more or less. This is the way it's done as the Grad Workout.

I dont know about doing it every 2 minutes. It should allow to go heavier. Not sure what DJ intended originally.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom