all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Cooling down and going to sleep

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Matt L

Level 2 Valued Member
Hello Friends,

Do you have any tips on how to properly cool down to help induce sleep as well. I read somewhere that its best to workout 3 hours before you sleep so that the body can cool down. problem is I do not have that convenience.

When I workout I have a couple of minutes till I need to sleep else I will be too deprived of sleep. What can you suggest I do to properly cool down and eventually fall asleep.

Thank you very much!

Hello,

Did you try different water temperatures when you take your shower ? Some folks are more relaxed after one or the other.

Otherwise, different breathing techniques: 4-7-8 (inhale nose - retention - exhale mouth), box breathing, alternate nostril.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Can you move your sleep back to the time you'd work out, then wake up earlier to work out?
its kind of difficult for that since I get home around 9 or 10pm and wake up at 5:30am for my 8am job. Traffic is usually 2 hours in my country.

I have
Hello,

Did you try different water temperatures when you take your shower ? Some folks are more relaxed after one or the other.

Otherwise, different breathing techniques: 4-7-8 (inhale nose - retention - exhale mouth), box breathing, alternate nostril.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I might try showering with hot water, I usually try cold to help my body temperature drop, but it kinda shocks my system. I dont know how to explain it.

do you have guides on how to do these breathing teachiques?

What program are you running? If S&S, could you find 10 minutes for your swings earlier in the day? Because they excite the CNS much more.

Other than that: Light passive stretching + decompression of the spine helps with physical unwinding. For example hanging from a bar. Or, my personal favourite, updog and downdog from yoga. Pavel has described this as "shoulder pump" in ETK I think.

Original Strength resets such as Rocking and Rolling are also a good call to get into parasympathic mode. I would suggest coupling relaxed breathing with light movement. (Really let go of all tension on that outbreath.)

However, since you are likely having problems falling asleep anyway and seem to go to sleep at a fixed time, try to find some kind of relaxation practice or mindfulness practice that you can practice in bed.

Try the "Body Scan" from MBSR (Jon Kabat Zinn). If you fall asleep while practicing it, good for you. If you don't: Hey, you are still helping your body and mind recover and are still practicing mindfulness which is good for, well, basically anything. It's a bit like sleep as it helps your mind and body to recover and slows down your brain waves. There are really good audio files for guided meditation and relaxation out there. Like the aforementioned Body Scan or some meditation apps. Just try a couple until you find something that feels right for YOU.

What program are you running? If S&S, could you find 10 minutes for your swings earlier in the day? Because they excite the CNS much more.

Other than that: Light passive stretching + decompression of the spine helps with physical unwinding. For example hanging from a bar. Or, my personal favourite, updog and downdog from yoga. Pavel has described this as "shoulder pump" in ETK I think.

Original Strength resets such as Rocking and Rolling are also a good call to get into parasympathic mode. I would suggest coupling relaxed breathing with light movement. (Really let go of all tension on that outbreath.)

However, since you are likely having problems falling asleep anyway and seem to go to sleep at a fixed time, try to find some kind of relaxation practice or mindfulness practice that you can practice in bed.

Try the "Body Scan" from MBSR (Jon Kabat Zinn). If you fall asleep while practicing it, good for you. If you don't: Hey, you are still helping your body and mind recover and are still practicing mindfulness which is good for, well, basically anything. It's a bit like sleep as it helps your mind and body to recover and slows down your brain waves. There are really good audio files for guided meditation and relaxation out there. Like the aforementioned Body Scan or some meditation apps. Just try a couple until you find something that feels right for YOU.

Currently trying to run a cycle of press plan 801A. last night I had trouble trying to relax after the session. I was not able to calm down my mind or heartrate at all. also my last coffee for that day was around 3pm and I lifted around 9 to 9:30 pm

Currently trying to run a cycle of press plan 801A. last night I had trouble trying to relax after the session. I was not able to calm down my mind or heartrate at all. also my last coffee for that day was around 3pm and I lifted around 9 to 9:30 pm
OK, then really focus on a slow, relaxed outbreath when lying in bed (don't force it, try to let go). The first 5 breaths or so are usually the hardest to focus on. And try a guided meditation or relaxation practice as this a good remedy for a racing mind.

Hello Friends,

Do you have any tips on how to properly cool down to help induce sleep as well. I read somewhere that its best to workout 3 hours before you sleep so that the body can cool down. problem is I do not have that convenience.

When I workout I have a couple of minutes till I need to sleep else I will be too deprived of sleep. What can you suggest I do to properly cool down and eventually fall asleep.

Thank you very much!

Do you have enough time to take a 10-15 minute epsom salt bath? You only need about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of epsom salt per bath. They knock me out.

I read somewhere that its best to workout 3 hours before you sleep so that the body can cool down. problem is I do not have that convenience.

When I workout I have a couple of minutes till I need to sleep else I will be too deprived of sleep.

A couple minutes?
Is there any way of re-organising your day? In the morning (I'd hate that too to be fair) or as soon as you get home from work, depending on family commitments and stuff? Come in, dump your stuff, train, shower, eat, relax for a bit, sleep. Or go to the gym straight from your work, if you are a gym goer.

And - a timely post by Anna whilst writing - get the Matt Walker book. You are right, 3 hours is a thing. I'm guilty too of not respecting the need for good sleep, as many are.
A great book from a passionate man:

"Scientists have discovered a revolutionary new treatment that makes you live longer. It enhances your memory and makes you more creative. It makes you look more attractive. It keeps you slim and lowers food cravings. It protects you from cancer and dementia. It wards off colds and flu. It lowers your risk of heart attacks and stroke, not to mention diabetes. You'll even feel happier, less depressed, and less anxious. Are you interested?"

Hmm, is this the bath or the salts, in your opinion? I hear things about epsom salts for aches and tendinitis, but have never tried them. Have you had good experiences with them? Thanks in advance...
Magnesium is muscle relaxer and even mild tranquilizer for some, soothing nervous system. Even though magnesium sulfate is very poorly absorbed when swallowed, it apparently absorbs quite well through the skin. An alternative approach, though you lose out on any relaxing qualities of warm water soak, is topical magnesium "oil" as it is often called; readily available online. Works like magic for some. Me...it makes my skin itch. YMMV

I take this every night:
61HmTdrUCjL._AC_SY400_.jpg
I also have light-soft music playing, and a fan blowing cool air on me too.

I use a half of a low dose melatonin or some legal cannabis. I often trained late and had a hard time waking up in the morning after not enough sleep. Most of the reason I had to take a big step back from training.

Scotch. Lots of scotch.

There's no way I could get to sleep that quickly after a workout. It takes me about an hour to come down. But after that, for me being physically tired provides a focal point to shut the mind off (i.e. concentrating on "wow I'm tired " feeling.

Personally, the same issue and similar schedule had me change it after a year. It was worth it. I had been training at 9pm and going to bed at 11pm. In the long run I had issues with recovery and sleep, especially on heavy ROP days or when progressing the weight in S&S.

I had shifted to early morning 5:00 wake up, limited anything I need to do by preparing it the day before. Sometimes leaving the breakfast for later in the day. It was worth it in both sleep quality and recovery. The flexibility is better to, if forced not to train in the morning (lately more often as my kid is waking up to early) I can always decide to train in the evening if necessary.

Up to 20 mins of related and very gentle diaphragmatic breathing, on your back, with prolonged exhale and holding the “no breath” after the exhale.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom