all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Cooling glove erases fatique?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Mike E

Level 5 Valued Member
http://news.stanford.edu/news/2012/august/cooling-glove-research-082912.html

"
But the glove's effects on athletic performance didn't become apparent until the researchers began using the glove to cool a member of the lab – the confessed "gym rat" and frequent coauthor Vinh Cao – between sets of pull-ups. The glove seemed to nearly erase his muscle fatigue; after multiple rounds, cooling allowed him to do just as many pull-ups as he did the first time around. So the researchers started cooling him after every other set of pull-ups.

"Then in the next six weeks he went from doing 180 pull-ups total to over 620," said Heller. "That was a rate of physical performance improvement that was just unprecedented."

"
Hmmm... Is this just an interesting phenomenon or could it be a useful training tool?

Wow. This is really interesting. I'd love to see more follow up on this with a greater sample size and controls etc.

i always find chins easier to do in the winter months than the summer, i simply dont slip and my focus can stay on the working muscles instead of trying to hang on to the bar - i also find it to be the case with 1H kb swings - and it goes beyond chalk - though chalk helps - but i also notice that my hands sweat when i am moving into a more challenging exercise - so if i hang a plate from my waist for weighted chins i notice that my mental concern kicks in and my hands feel moist. maybe there is something about these gloves that "erase muscle fatigue" or maybe by keeping the hands cool, the psychological concern about grip slippage is erased and the primary movers take over.

I wonder if part of the effect is blood vessel dilation to your arms giving more oxygen to the muscles and speeding recovery. Other than simply cooling your core temperature that is. It would be interesting if someone experimented, say immerse your hands in ice water for 15 seconds after each set, and see if you can do more sets than expected. Immersion time may have to be varied to keep from shutting off the circulation. I have a medical issue presently so I can't experiment. Looking forward to trying it in the future though.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom