all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Coronavirus - Why we have to act now

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
My wife and I were talking about this yesterday. When this first came about, we believed it could be serious, but we also didn't want to add to a panic, particularly for our school-age kids. These are the times that we need real leadership - the people at the top need to step in and make clear that, while it's not about panic, it is time to make sacrifices, disrupt daily life and take the steps necessary to get this under control.

The local leaders have really stepped up to the plate to make this happen - that gives me hope.
Well said...

Prepared for it since January, told my relatives to do so as well since then, have masks, have food and apply every counter measure possible in our work space ( i'm on the top management of my worksite so I'm free to apply the measures I consider good for overall safety and health).

Hopefully a vaccine will come out anytime soon...I'm located in Mexico here the goverment aint taking it too seriously, the private hospitals I work with doesn't have much equipment...so lets hope for the best.

So far my schedule is work-home-work-home, wife and kids are at home, and I stop walk commuting as well.

My wife and I were talking about this yesterday. When this first came about, we believed it could be serious, but we also didn't want to add to a panic, particularly for our school-age kids. These are the times that we need real leadership - the people at the top need to step in and make clear that, while it's not about panic, it is time to make sacrifices, disrupt daily life and take the steps necessary to get this under control.

The local leaders have really stepped up to the plate to make this happen - that gives me hope.

What's frustrating is that many of these sacrifices would have been unnecessary if people hadn't panicked to begin with. In my area, the only shortages of goods have come from people buying way more than usual IN CASE there was a shortage. Many of these other measures are, frankly, common sense ways of dealing with any outbreak of a certain magnitude.

What's frustrating is that many of these sacrifices would have been unnecessary if people hadn't panicked to begin with. In my area, the only shortages of goods have come from people buying way more than usual IN CASE there was a shortage. Many of these other measures are, frankly, common sense ways of dealing with any outbreak of a certain magnitude.

By sacrifices I'm not even talking about not being able to buy stuff. Really, my family hasn't been hit hard at all. My kids favorite sports (baseball & softball) have been cancelled. My son hasn't seen his pack of friends in a couple weeks, and normally they all share the same brain. My wife is a physical therapist, and the drop off in clients definitely hurts their bottom line, but we can ride that out. I've "had to" work from home, which I'm lucky enough to be able to do.

The people really making sacrifices are the people who's jobs are just gone for the next month or two, the small business owners who's revenue stream suddenly dropped to zero, people like that. The sacrifice the rest of us need to make is to support them. And hopefully leadership is getting off the bottoms to help those people soon...

By sacrifices I'm not even talking about not being able to buy stuff. Really, my family hasn't been hit hard at all. My kids favorite sports (baseball & softball) have been cancelled. My son hasn't seen his pack of friends in a couple weeks, and normally they all share the same brain. My wife is a physical therapist, and the drop off in clients definitely hurts their bottom line, but we can ride that out. I've "had to" work from home, which I'm lucky enough to be able to do.

The people really making sacrifices are the people who's jobs are just gone for the next month or two, the small business owners who's revenue stream suddenly dropped to zero, people like that. The sacrifice the rest of us need to make is to support them. And hopefully leadership is getting off the bottoms to help those people soon...

I've been there (job-wise)...those are the people hit most by the shortages around me. Any traditionally inexpensive staple foods are flying off of the shelves. In a time where everyone needs to make their money stretch for a bit, it's going to be hard for those who are going to have a lot less for a while. I guess that's the part I'm frustrated with.

This is a century defining moment, I fear. A hundred years from now, kids will study the history of COVID-19. the fallout, and long slow recovery the way we look at the Great Depression an WWII.

Blessing to all of you and the best of luck in the war to come.

Stay at home, keep fit, remain fed and hydrated and above all appreciate your family and loved ones.

For those in the UK not declared a key worker. The Government has declared tonight that the country is in quest for a quarter of a million volunteers across the 4 nations to assist in the logistics of keeping the elderly, disabled and infected supplied with all they need.
It is time now for those who can, to do.

History has shown we can overcome and we only grow stronger each time.

Let's get it done.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom