all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Cossack Squat or Goblet Squat

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

njrick1

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello StrongFirst,

These are two excellent drills that seem to have similar benefits. I'm curious to hear the benefits of one drill compared to the other. Also, could a cossack be an alternative to the goblet in an S&S warm-up?

Thanks!

I would choose the Goblet. The Cossack squat has a pretty high barrier to entry imo. You already need some prerequisite mobility to reach that position safely.

Hello StorngFirst,

These are two excellent drills that seem to have similar benefits. I'm curious to hear the benefits of one drill compared to the other. Also, could a cossack be an alternative to the goblet in an S&S warm-up?

Thanks!

You can also alternate: One session GSQ, other session CSQ.

Pavel recommends CSQ as "minimalistic move-prep" in Tim Ferriss' Tools of Titans.

If you have the flexibility/mobility to do CSQ go for it. The GSQ is somehow the squat variation everybody can do and benefit from. Once mobility/flexibility is no longer a hinderance the loaded CSQ is an excellent leg strengthening exercise that will keep you busy for quite a while. If done as a strength/hypertrophy exercise I'd recommend doing first one leg, rest, then the other leg (as opposed to alternating legs from rep to rep).

A goblet squat or prying goblet squat is a simple mobility drill that will improve overall mobility in the lower body. There are several variations of this that can be incredibly beneficial.

If you want to move onto the cossack, here is what I would suggest.

ankle mobility
adductor rocks
external rotations in the adductor rock position
ankle pumps in the adductor rock position
Cossack squat with a TRX/suspension trainer
Cossack squat with a light KB as a counter balance
Full Cossack squats.

I will see if I can dig up a video

I mix them both anyway I like. Some days I do cossacks, some days I do goblets, some days I mix them. I´m not focusing on progressing them, so I dont need a structured program.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom