all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Cossack squat weight thoughts

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

sizzlefuzz

Level 6 Valued Member
Hi all,

I have been using the Cossacks more often and I have noticed my pancake and splits progress accelerating because of it. My question is how heavy should I be looking to go? I have been using 16 or 20kgs lately and alternating it with Jefferson curls for 3 sets of 5 each.

Personally, I'm having a hard time thinking about going heavier than 20-24kgs on the Cossack, and I haven't been able to find information saying that's either a good or bad idea.

Thanks!

I don't think the weight for cossack squats has much correlation with their effectiveness. It's mainly a mobility drill, rather than a strength drill, and the weight serves more as a counterbalance than as resistance.

I wouldn't worry about pushing the weight higher (although there's no reason not use more weight if it feels good). You also might think about mixing in a lighter weight or no weight at all (just like how a bodyweight pistol is a different kind of challenge than a weighted pistol). A nice variation is to do cossacks with a Jump Stretch band looped around the hips and anchored to a power rack or doorknob. The band pulls your hips forward and allows an upright posture, but has a very different feel than using a counterweight.

Don't be afraid of gradually increasing the weight - there is no reason why you could not go progressively heavier. Cossacks rock!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom