all posts post new thread

Barbell Cost of Adaptation- Olympic Weightlifting?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

PTench

Level 1 Valued Member
The Cost of Adaptation | StrongFirst

This is one of my favorite articles on the site. It specifically addresses the "health/performance" blend for recreational powerlifters, but how would this be applied to weightlifting for those of us who enjoy it and might compete once in a while, but don't aspire to be world champions?

@PTench, IMHO, the skill component of Olympic lifting - that's what you mean here, yes, as opposed to powerlifting? - is high. As long as you're willing to put in the time to learn and practice the requisite skills, just do it. I think the rewards for the time spent in exercising this way are well worth it. The reason I'd recommend powerlifting first to most people is because the skill requirements are lower, and one can actually accomplish more in terms of improving one's strength and power earlier on in the process.

I would say that, had I learned Olympic lifting earlier in life, I'd likely still practice it today, but for me, the learning curve hasn't yet proven worth the investment in time I think I'd need, and the benefits of kettlebell quick lifts, while certainly not same, are still very worthwhile and at least somewhat similar in nature.

-S-

I too love the article. I'm not quite sure what type of responses you are seeking, but I hope this helps

The article states
  1. Start with a great foundation of GPP.
  2. Avoid early specialization. (Negative adaptation in organs and systems not directly challenged by specific training is especially pronounced in immature organisms.(5))
  3. Do not force the rate of your progress.
So, I would suggest to you: easy strength practice on your lifts, short "tapers" or peaks to your competition, then rinse/repeat.

Thank you for the replies! I suppose that the KB quick lifts would be redundant for power production if practicing the O-Lifts, but I could see some application for tgu, goblet squats, carries, and maybe single kb presses.

In the "Cost of Adaptation" context, I think the best blend for me is 2 days of OL practice (easy strength style with focus on speed, technique and good movement) and 1 day of "easy" KB work for recovery. Something like armbar/TGU + Gob. Sq. or this https://www.strongfirst.com/tempo-runs-kettlebell-work-your-next-recovery-day

Pretty conservative training volume, but that's the point :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom