all posts post new thread

Nutrition Cottage cheese and peanut butter...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Harry Westgate

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Hi all,

Just tried this combo; small bowl of cottage cheese - say 250ml - with a big dollop of peanut butter in the middle... Mix it up and enjoy!

Absolutely love it. Sounds so wrong but tastes so right!

Try it and let me know what you think!

Harry

@Harry Westgate, I love things like this. Sour cream and bananas is a personal favorite. I have some sort of things like this for breakfast most days; lately it's Greek style kefir (whatever that might mean, it's thicker than the regular kefir of the same brand, and has a higher fat content) with a few spoonfuls of my homemade nut butter - same idea as what you're doing.

-S-

During lunch time, I go down to my office cafeteria, get some leafy greens (spring mix, lettuce) with two or more tablespoons of olive oil, its really good. I also eat an apple, some berries in the morning. Another apple just before the work out in the afternoon.

I like yogurt with peanut butter and a little cocoa mixed in. Also a fan of cottage cheese.

If I need energy for a long time, oatmeal with protein powder and peanut butter will keep me going for hours.

What's the thoughts on peanut butter in general. I've been putting it my oats and it's lovely and definitely helps the satiety effect. I've made homemade protein bars woth peanut butter and again very nice. Find it hard to shake the image of peanut butter as an unhealthy food as always renember my mum warning about eating too much of it. Mind, in those days I was probably eating a jar of it with a spoon

Almonds are reputed to be the best nut in terms of nutritional profile. My wife and I home-make a mostly-almond butter - 6 parts almonds, 1 part peanuts, 1 part cashews, all dry roasted and unsalted - I put them into a mini food processor (SunBeam Oskar), run it until I'm nearly deaf :), then add a little coconut and non-EV olive oils until it reaches a good consistency. It makes a fine substitute for peanut butter, and you can add salt and or honey or other sweetener as you taste requires, but we like it fine as just nuts and a little oil.

-S-

That sounds yummy steve. I use almond butter, I do not like the taste of peanut butter much.

As a side note, it was interesting to learn from the WD book that peanut is not actually a nut, but a legume. And Ori does not recommend it raw, but roasted.

Last edited:
My opinion on nuts in general is that they're amazing and can be eaten in virtually unlimited quantities when kept away from starches and grains. I'm with Steve about almonds as well. My other favourites are pistachios; as far as I can tell they're nutritionally very similar to almonds but taste unbelievably good. Peanut butter is also absolutely fine in my book. I mix it with whey, yoghurt, and now cottage cheese. Adding chopped banana to these combos is also really delicious... Tastes too good for something that isn't remotely fattening provided the rest of your diet is dialled in.

I eat wayyyy too many nuts. Gets expensive.

I put peanut butter and dehydrated peanut butter in my oats, amongst many other things

What's the thoughts on peanut butter in general. I've been putting it my oats and it's lovely and definitely helps the satiety effect. I've made homemade protein bars woth peanut butter and again very nice. Find it hard to shake the image of peanut butter as an unhealthy food as always renember my mum warning about eating too much of it. Mind, in those days I was probably eating a jar of it with a spoon
I recall as a kid that the peanut butter we got fed was great!!! Of course it was heavily laced with sugar and hydrogenated oils... These days it's all natural PB for me. ( and I still go at jar with a spoon now and again)

I love almond butter and yogurt! I have a snack almost every day where I mix my Museli ( which is a gluten free hot cereal, basically oats, nuts and seeds) with almond butter and frozen fruit. Mix it all up and that fixes my craving for any sweets and gets in my carbs, protein and fats! @Steve Freides I also make my own almond and peanut butters, it is so easy and much healthier then store bought! My wife has recently joined in on my addiction. Bananas and sour cream sounds interesting, I am going to give that a try.

This is exciting...I've never thought to combine almond butter and cottage cheese, but now I am definitely trying it for breakfast tomorrow!

(Good timing, because my son JUST outgrew his almond allergy, so we can finally eat almond butter without worry!)

You have to try FROZEN bananas with PB or coconut flour. Mix it and you have an "ice cream".

So I used this thread as inspiration for breakfast: took one cup cottage cheese, 2 tsp cocoa powder, and 1 tbls almond butter, and threw them in the food processor last night until smooth. This AM, I combined that with a smattering of granola for crunch. It. was. awesome.

I like yogurt with peanut butter and a little cocoa mixed in. Also a fan of cottage cheese.

If I need energy for a long time, oatmeal with protein powder and peanut butter will keep me going for hours.

Prepared oatmeal? Or just the dry oats? I am asking @the hansenator, because I am going to make my energy bars this weekend, which call for oats.

@Michael Scott

I go with cooked old fashioned oats. I did call the Quaker Oat company once, back when cell phones were still new, and asked them about uncooked oats. They told me the nutrition is the same and there's no reason they have to be cooked before eating.

@Michael Scott

I go with cooked old fashioned oats. I did call the Quaker Oat company once, back when cell phones were still new, and asked them about uncooked oats. They told me the nutrition is the same and there's no reason they have to be cooked before eating.

I just found my breakfast for tomorrow.......:D

@the hansenator How much peanut butter & protein powder are you putting in the cooked oatmeal?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom