all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Couch stretch instead of SF hip bridge?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Karl

Level 6 Valued Member
Am I missing out on something by doing the couch stretch instead of the SF hip bridge? The couch stretch seems like it opens my hips better post prying goblet squats.

My hips are much looser after doing s&s for the last 5 months. I have been adding windmills into my s&s warmup the last couple weeks.

Thank you in advance.

Karl

Hi Karl, Welcome!

I´m just a beginner so I´m intrigued to hear what more experienced members have to say. In the meantime, my opinion is that the bridge is not only a hip flexor stretch, but also a glute exercise. So it pumps some blood and activates de glutes before being needed for the swings. It is also an active stretch, whereas the couch stretch is passive (the stretch of the hip flexors is done by the antagonist muscle on the hip bridge, not by any other force).

@Oscar , thank you for the input. I had not thought of it that way. I was rereading the supple Leopard and decided to give the couch stretch a go. Guess I should probably do both.

Karl

I think active stretch before everything else then passive stretch to cool down or on "off" days. I don't really know for sure but suspect that passive stretching will make muscles more prone to injury if they are loaded very soon after. Active stretching much less so if at all

@Karl : Welcome to the forum:)
I would follow @GeoffreyLevens advice, and keep the passive couch stretch for after the S&S session. Passive stretching before a physical activity actually makes you weaker and more prone to injury. Keep to the S&S warm-up as described in the book, and add any passive stretching afterwards.

@GeoffreyLevens - makes sense to me now that you and @Oscar have pointed it out. Our work pt's have all gone to active stretching before pt and passive after. Don't know why I did think of that in this contest.

@Jan - I will go back to s&s warmup as written, thank you for your input.

Thank you everyone for your in site. I've really appreciated the many things I've learned from this forum, even though I'm mostly a lurked.

Karl

Thanks for saying, "Thanks," @Karl - I always appreciate when someone take the time to do that here (or anywhere, really).

-S-

Couch stretch is more of a quad stretch than a hip flexor stretch, though it does hit rectus Femoris, which contributes to hip flexion, and sartorius..sort of. It really doesn't do as much for psoas or iliacus because your hip doesn't go into extension. Hip bridges help de facilitate the hip flexors through a neurological reflex.

Great stretch though! Thanks for sharing.

You can dynamically stretch the hip flexors with long lunges if you don't like the hip bridge

Last edited:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom