all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Counting Beads

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Oso Rojo

Level 5 Valued Member
20200606_164121.jpg

You guys have always been so helpful to me so I'm passing on something I use that I haven't seen used elsewhere. I've always been a bit absent minded and when I'm training hard I forget where I am in the set count. I'd love to say I invented this idea, but I stole it from my buddy that was a Ranger and I think they stole it from the abacus.

To us these you start with the beads on the common knotted end. After each set you move a bead down. The example I've show says we have completed four sets. I made the beads alternating in color because I still think in the realm of fives. The set I've show has two legs, one for counting 10 sets and the other for 5 or 6 sets. I used to have one with three legs, but it used those legs to walk off to where I can't find it, haha.

You can easily make them with a trip to the local craft store. A big bag of beads is cheap and get some nylon cord that fits snugly inside the beads. That way they don't slide around on their own. I've never seen them sold exactly like this, but you can google "ranger counting beads" and find ones made for navigation.

I hope this helps someone out there, I feel back about always taking from the forum and never giving.

The idea I got from my brother is to use dice. The dice used for role playing games comes with up to 20 sides or more and he just changes it with each set.

Oso Rojo’s idea is a good one, but I use a method that requires no extra equipment....
Before my first set of swings, the bell is on the right side of the mat with the logo facing forward.
Before my 2nd set of swings, the bell is on the left side of the mat with the logo facing forward.
3rd set: right side of mat, logo to the right.
4th set: left side of mat, logo to the right.
5th set: right side of mat, logo facing me,
6th set: left side of mat, logo facing me.
7th set: right side of mat, logo to the left
8th set: left side of mat, logo to the left.
9th set: right side of mat, logo forward.
10th set: left side of mat, logo forward.

I have a plant on a pot and I move it around the table to count sets...
I'm inspired to try my hand at one of these, seems like a fun project.

I’m so grateful for this thread! Just today I realised around halfway through a ten-set session that I had no idea whether I had done 5 or 6 sets. It’s a small thing but disproportionately frustrating.

I’m taking the reference to the abacus in the OP and using my son’s from now on!

Another way to do it is put on the stopwatch on your phone and add a lap for every set, that way you also know your total time and how long each set is compared to the others.

Happy to see I'm not the only one getting lost counting reps. Probably due to too low O2.?
HAH! Being 70 I have attributed it to low brain cells. I use a row of brightly colored plastic clothes pins and move one over each set.

Now, I just need a way to keep track of reps during a set! Seriously. Sets of 5 I can generally manage. Sets of 10...sometimes get problematic. Good thing I still have my "sense of effort" to tell me when to stop!

Pennies here for S&S, upper ones on ends marking 20kg, 24kg for ones in middle, to track L and R stand with my foot of the upcoming side by the bell for active rest in between sets. Push tne pennies up to the top when done sets. Getups the same way, move pennies when switching sides then all the way up when the second side done. LOVE the bead idea though, much more attractive! 20200608_115823.jpg

I just have a workout notebook log that I write in as I do my programming for the day.

35128_1.jpg

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom