all posts post new thread

Nutrition counting calories

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Deadlifter_

Level 1 Valued Member
Do you guys think counting calories obsessively is healthy? Like body fueling it is all about math?
I am trying a paleo diet and food like salmon meat fruits veggies nuts olive oil and eggs is not very calories dense. Counting with myfitnesspal app i barely touch 2000kcal.
Is counting so important? Months ago i would stuff myself with rice oats and touch 3000kcal but avoiding starchy carbs and dairy you already go in a 1000kcal deficit. Help me out

Food intake obviously needs to be somewhat aligned with your goals. Strength, Hpertrophy, weight loss, Extreme Endurance, all have different fueling requirements. I agree with @Pavel Macek ... eat real food, listen to your body. And strive for high quality food.

My diet I'd say is 80% paleo to help me shave a bit of body fat off. I take the approach of if I'm hungry I eat, if not I don't. I don't count calories as I think it's easy to become preoccupied then obsessed with numbers and stats. Not all calories are equal. If you're sticking roughly within paleo guidelines then your food is not very calorific but is nutrient dense. Seems like you're doing alright to me...

Yes especially protein which is around 200g, non starchy carbs (mainly from fruits and veg) is 100g and fat also 100g. Ill try to stick to it and see if i lose strength when i max out

I have found success in using an "education phase" for those beginning nutritional lifestyle changes who are completely ignorant of food. So, for a temporary period, we focus less on scale weight and body composition, and more on learning what foods have not been processed into "not-foods" and which are more natural. I s*** you not, some folks believe that chicken nuggets are part of the bird.

We also focus on what these foods contain: how many grams of each macronutrient are in whatever food; what the grams per macronutrient actually look like on the plate; and what a days worth of this looks like in the context of a multi-day food journal.

While we are doing this, the brain and body are detoxing from sugar and processed gunk, both of which are screwing up natural hunger signals. If they stay the course for a month, their internal hunger signals will be more accurate to follow and they will have learned enough about food to quit the numbers game, and just eat. Note that your body relearns tastes for food and detoxes from crap for years after these changes, so the "two week" induction that most gurus speak of is really the tip if the iceberg. You have to continue to learn and pay attention to your body for years after. And this all depends upon how toxic and addicted you were in the first place. If your momma loved crap while she was carrying you and you were diabetic as an infant (a very novel scenario), you'll have a much longer reboot period before you can "just follow your hunger".

After this, it depends upon your goals; but generally: eat enough protein so that your body doesn't eat itself; eat enough starch so that you can maintain anaerobic energy; and eat the rest of your energy requirements in good fat. So, a sedentary eating plan of leaner meat and veggies (no fruit) would differ from training for the SFG: fattier meats and veggies, fruit, starches, etc. Both will find lean body comps; the latter will be able to fuel training.

Moreover, whomever you are, in my opinion, you need get "fat adapted", or, what is known as having sharp "metabolic flexibility": humming along on fat most of the time, to include up to a decently high level of intensity of training, and using sugar pathways to fuel only the most intense activity.

First of all Thanks a lot for the reply.
About food i have been vegan/vegetarian for 10 years and only recently began to eat animals again, but my diet was based on mainly carbs because the were also only source of protein: tofu seitan legumes rice oats fruits nuts and veggies.probably carried a skinny fat look until i started working out years ago. Now i am just overweight with muscles. I can see what quality food is as i have total despise for junk food. But weighing 100kg at 25% bf is useless for my goal which is powerlifting, i also dont see why i should compete in the same weight category where muscled guys weigh 100kg@10% bodyfat while i have maybe the same muscle mass of a 80kg lifter, i dont see it fair for me and also looking like a couch potato it doesnt help my goals.
Recent blood tests showed my gi was very high and that was the time when i would eat 200g of rice daily. Carbs make me feel bloated and now that i eat meat i would like to try to just avoid starchy carbs and just point to this paleo diet without logging into those apps and feel like a bodybuilder with ocd.. i started this sport because i wanted to be strong and competitive and have fun thats why i want to get rid of all the "calories in calories out" madness. Carbs dont fill me after i eat 200g of rice or pasta i want to eat more, after i eat 500g of meat and veggies i feel full until dinner and the calories are even less.
So because of my past i dont know how much will it take to just follow hunger i also have a few members of my family who have diabetes and are overweight and honestly i dont want to become like them.
Only thing to add is that once a week i enjoy carbs with friends (pizza ice cream or stuff like that) just because i dont want to look like the antisocial guy.

Sorry for the long post but at least it gives a bit more about my situation

@Deadlifter_, Al has given you great advice. I will add one point - it's all personal. Not everyone brushes their teeth the same way, not everyone can or should eat the same way, either, or for that matter, monitor their body composition the same way. I get on the scale every morning - works for me, and I keep track of the other things by feel, e.g., I know if I've had salty food or decided to indulge in chocolate cake the night before, I'll probably weigh more the next morning and then in a day or two, that extra weight will be gone again. Part of the reason I get on the scale every morning is that I'm a weight-class athlete and I don't want to move up, so it's a necessity for me, I feel. I like to only have to drop 4-5 lbs before a competition - some folks don't even have to do that, other folks are +20 lbs. a week out. Again, you have to find what works for you.

IMHO, the biggest thing in all of this is learning to differentiate between needing to eat and wanting to eat - if you can sort that one out for yourself, you'll do fine.

Best of luck with it.

-S-

My experience and theory is that macro nutrients and calories do not matter in comparison to micronutrients. My theory is that the body's systems function on micro nutrients and getting enough of them is the most important - not in pill form either. It doesn't matter how many calories in the amount of meat it takes to get enough iron and B12 for your body to function well. How many pounds of vegetables does it take to get enough calcium and vitamin A. I don't know the answer but when I focus on getting a high quantity balance of micronutrients, everything else just works.

Recent blood tests showed my gi was very high and that was the time when i would eat 200g of rice daily. Carbs make me feel bloated and now that i eat meat i would like to try to just avoid starchy carbs and just point to this paleo diet without logging into those apps and feel like a bodybuilder with ocd.. i started this sport because i wanted to be strong and competitive and have fun thats why i want to get rid of all the "calories in calories out" madness.

If you were my student, I would advise focusing on achieving certain "health" oriented benchmarks first. Such as, getting your blood panels up to a healthy baseline. Otherwise, you will be bouncing around with your "diet" attempting to stack fitness on top of a shaky foundation.

I might also add that my workouts are based on compounds below 5 reps.

To achieve a desirable health baseline, you may need to take a look at your programming and consider adding some basic aerobic work such as 30 minutes of brisk walking every day. Preferably outdoors in the fresh air.

In best health to you!

Counting calories takes you further away from your needs, listening to your body (sleep, digestion, appetite) will let you stay in touch with your real needs.
What sounds esoteric and ommmmm is a healing experience.
Namaste ;)

I have never, nor do I ever plan to count calories, but I just watched this:

Munchies has a great series called Fuel that is really interesting.

While counting calories is a little extra work per day - using an app like myfitnesspal makes it easier. I like the ballerina's views on counting calories - it just runs in the background. I don't obsess over it (although I used to). I use it the same way I use daily scale readings - as just information to guide my efforts - not to overly control them.

I like the ballerina- thanks for posting. Although I'm normally skeptical of calorie-counting, she seems very professional and rational about it. She has to stay in a certain condition to work, so she's not doing it out of compulsion. Her calorie counting seems based on years of self-knowledge, not just some arbitrary number she's got from some trendy book or something. She's also eating a lot of food groups and staying happy with what she's eating. Shows that sometimes where people are coming from is more important than the activity.

@Matts Her ballet training is hard, but she puts as much time, and energy into her recovery with her diet, walking, stretching, sleep, and hot/cold therapy. That is what makes her an athlete to me. You can do everything right in the gym or studio, but you are wasting your time, energy, and money if you are not doing the right things outside of the gym. That is most people's limiting factor.

Boring, monotonous practice and life is what it takes to be the best at your sport or chosen activity, but everyone wants fun and variety. Imagine the daily grind it takes to be an Olympic athlete.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom