all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Craft Beer

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Yes i make my own beer. I'm still learning but I'm getting better. It is great for "recovery" after a hard workout (mentally and spiritually, maybe not physically, ha).

Yes i make my own beer. I'm still learning but I'm getting better. It is great for "recovery" after a hard workout (mentally and spiritually, maybe not physically, ha).
I made it twice using extract. I hate the sanitation process. I'm gonna try and make wine next I think.

Hopefully when I buy a house I can have room for an all grain brewing system and give it a go again.

I've done about 8 5-gallon batches, I started about 1 year ago. Each batch makes about 55 bottles. I brew with my brother so we split it. I will get about 27 bottles per batch, personally. Checkout www.northernbrewer.com. That's where I get most of my equipment and ingredients since I haven't found a local supplier.

Sanitation during bottling is not fun. This year I may start kegging. I haven't tried wine.

Believe it or not I plan my beer drinking, because it could effect my workouts. As I've mentioned in other posts, I do an ultra abbreviated power lifting program (Brooks Kubik) with ETK+ for my GPP. So my weekly plan looks like this:

Monday: barbell squat focus
Tuesday: ETK+ grind day and mobility drills when needed
Wednesday: off day
Thursday: barbell bench press focus
Friday: ETK+ BALLISTIC day and mobility drills when needed
Saturday: off
Sunday: deadlift focus
Monday: ETK+ GRIND focus plus mobility drills
Tuesday: off

This repeats. I drink typically the evening on a ETK+ day, so I am fully recovered for the powerlifting day. Never before a workout.

Man you got that down to a science!

The second time I brewed I used 750s and 2L growlers. So much easier than sanitizing 50 single bottles.

The first one was just an off the shelf red ale kit. If came out nothing like what it was supposed to but whatever it came out like was good. I wish someone told me that it would take 2 hours to boil water on an electric stove.

The second was an ipa kit from a local brewery that i really liked (I thought it was weird that they gave away their own recipe). I left out some malts and added some more Chinook hops, came out real good.

Now I want to go to home depot to build an all grain.

Yes I love Craft beer. Been into trying other beers since about 1998 or so. First loves were Fat Tire,Boston lager and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Over the years I just love to try other beers. Favorite Styles are IPA's and Porters/Stouts but really I love almost all beer. Not a fan of Sours though.

Reactions: Bo
Yes I love Craft beer. Been into trying other beers since about 1998 or so. First loves were Fat Tire,Boston lager and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Over the years I just love to try other beers. Favorite Styles are IPA's and Porters/Stouts but really I love almost all beer. Not a fan of Sours though.

Big ipas and coffee/maple stouts are my thing. Not a fan of sours at all. I don't even taste anything but sour flavor.

I'm so lucky to live in New England, so many world class breweries here. I'm sure there are all over the U.S. but I'm only familiar with a few.

I definitely go through phases when it comes to beers. Big imp stouts, barrel aged stouts, and sours are my favorite styles. I can take or leave an IPA. I've had more bad IPA's then good. Give me a heady, pliny, zombie, 120, or gubna and keep the gas station pine cone IPA's.

I definitely go through phases when it comes to beers. Big imp stouts, barrel aged stouts, and sours are my favorite styles. I can take or leave an IPA. I've had more bad IPA's then good. Give me a heady, pliny, zombie, 120, or gubna and keep the gas station pine cone IPA's.
Heady is all the hype out here, it's where everyone starts pretty much. Love 120 and zombie dust. My brother traded some stouts for a bunch of pliny and didnt save me one so I've never tried it.

I've had so many good ipas that I can't drink any others unless they're high 90s rated on BA. I've become such a snob

I'm the same was as far as BA scores. I only allow myself so many beers per week when training hard. I try not to waste a beer on a poorly rated brew.

With that said, I've been known to slam a PBR or six with the bros after a long ride or when away on bike trips.

I have brewed many batches. I do partial mash and am considering going to all grain. I have all the equipment and gadgets.
I even made a fermentation chiller to put my carboy in. It is made out of ridge insulation and has a thermostatically controlled fan
that blows air over frozen 2L soda bottles.

I brew as well, about 50 batches or so under my belt. Have a stout on tap, cream ale and a smash in the queue. And a couple of cases of cider, for that matter...nothing like a stout and a steak for recovery, I say.

Starting to regret agreeing to a short booze fast for the new year. Come on, Feb get here....

Cheers,

Jon

im sure i will be stoned, tarred, feathered, drawn horse and quartered, for this comment, but when i want to drink more than 3 beers i drink Bud and when I want 1 to 3, i drink Guinness. I have tried and tried and tried the countless IPAs, Bourbon barrel brews, homemade concoctions, sweet, savory, hairy and bald, but i just havent found a taste i like better than Guinness and i havent found a more drinkable beer than Bud. So there it is, I realize my taste buds must have been burned due to my love of craft hot sauces, but i just dont have a taste for craft beers - and believe me, i am ashamed to say it and i will keep trying, but i had to come clean. keep brewing!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom