all posts post new thread

CRAWLING CLUB (group log for crawling practice!)

Last week I had to cancel most of my plans due to a flu, so I sat at home and did quite a lot of resets, including crawling. The super slow baby crawling is starting to feel quite easy. Doesn't feel "perfect" yet, meaning I will continue doing baby crawling as well, but I feel now it's the time to start progressing to leopard crawling.

It wasn't quite crawling, but I did a pretty good amount of rocking yesterday as a warmup. Did both bilateral variations and unilateral. If I'm strapped for time, rocking can give me a similar stimulus in a shorter time.

Tuesday 10 minutes of super slow baby crawling. It was a mix of forwards-backwards and lateral. There’s less noticeable effects right after the crawling than before, which tells me that I am definitely ready to progress.

I was inspired and tried some leopard crawling the last couple of days. I am amazed at how difficult it is. Didn’t even get close to 10 minutes of continuous leopard crawling.

My hip flexors are extremely sore. Has anyone else experienced this when they started crawling?

I also had some tendinitis flare up in my wrist that might be a deal breaker for this exercise.

Nevertheless, kudos to the crawlers in this forum. You must be some strong dudes.
How long can you baby crawl whilr nasal breathing? Id suggest working up to 10 minutes of baby crawling before diving right into Leopard. The baby crawl will help adapt your body for the progression of a leopard crawl. Just my 2c

How long can you baby crawl whilr nasal breathing? Id suggest working up to 10 minutes of baby crawling before diving right into Leopard. The baby crawl will help adapt your body for the progression of a leopard crawl. Just my 2c
That’s a great idea! I have never thought to do Baby crawling, I just jumped right in. I’ll give that a try tomorrow morning. Thanks for the idea.

Baby crawling seems so easy I assume I can do it indefinitely. There is a world of difference in my mind between baby crawling and leopard. But yes, I will mix more of that in.

Something I have noticed about baby vs leopard crawling is that baby allows me to focus more on my shoulders. Something that I try to keep in mind is that crawling is better performed in a sort of exploratory way, as opposed to an exercise to be done with a certain rigid form. No doubt leopard is harder, but for me at least, it’s also harder to find the helpful nuances my own body needs.

I haven’t done much crawling lately. I’ve done a lot of rocking though. Same thing there; I can focus better on the nuances I need to make improvements.

Here’s a challenge. Try to do 10 minutes of baby crawling super super slow, staying relaxed yet being in control of every millimeter of every move. For me the slow motion (”make sloths jealous”) combined with staying relaxed opened some new avenues in terms of body control.
I like this idea. I just hope I can remember to try it the next time I train!

Does anyone have advice on how to use resistance bands for crawling? With winter coming im going to have to stick to indoor crawling and was recommend using bands but not sure I understand how.

Does anyone have advice on how to use resistance bands for crawling? With winter coming im going to have to stick to indoor crawling and was recommend using bands but not sure I understand how.
I believe @Walker has used them? I know one way is to use the loop style resistance bands and loop them around the wrists and/or knees.

Alternatively you can get creative and do your "crawling" in a side to side or back and forth fashion. Ido Portal used to talk about using environmental constraints to make training different/challenging.

I’ve finally been crawling more again! Mostly just a medley of whatever feels good for ~10-15 minutes. Still able to do a little lizard crawling without too much exertion too. Will be trying to log here again more regularly!

Today:
I did ~15 minutes unbroken of crawling variations and "floor work," including:
Baby crawling
leopard crawling
twisting bear
table top/crab walks
AG walks*
Plank walks**

Putting info about the last two here because I'm not sure if anyone has heard of them, AND I think they could be good moves to toss into crawling sessions for extra spice or intensity. Google will turn up some videos.

*AG walks are used typically in gymnastic training, and I haven't done them in a long while. After today, I may make them a regular thing, as straight arm movements don't bother my shoulder as much as bent arm movements. AG walks are essentially a reverse plank (so chest to ceiling) where you put your feet on something that slides and push yourself forward. They are awesome for shoulder extension, posterior shoulder musculature, and triceps.

**Plank walks are essentially the opposite of AG walks. You get into a plank, put your feet on something that slides, and drag yourself across the floor. Some videos have people on their toes; I prefer to point my toes so that the tops of my feet are on the slider. I find that this prevents the reflex of pulling with the hip flexors. The other cue that is important here is to push away really hard; use as much protraction as you can.

If anyone wants some easier progressions for those I can provide them.

Yesterday I did ~12 minutes of crawling variations, including AG and plank walks. I've also been doing them like this:
Here’s a challenge. Try to do 10 minutes of baby crawling super super slow, staying relaxed yet being in control of every millimeter of every move. For me the slow motion (”make sloths jealous”) combined with staying relaxed opened some new avenues in terms of body control.
Slow and relaxed crawling definitely works some magic.

Back
Top Bottom