all posts post new thread

CRAWLING CLUB (group log for crawling practice!)

Hello, once a week I test my max leopard crawling capacity, based of my isometric decunstructed crawling. 2 Weeks ago it was 1x 2 minutes, last week 1x 3 minutes, today 1x4 minutes . Form is braced, strickt ,slow, nasal breathing. Up to now I m satisfied with the results. Joints an tendons feeling great.

Stopped doing GTG crawls and started Louka's program again a couple of days ago
  • 30 sec on 60 sec Rest,
  • 5-10min deep squat for a bigger rest if needed half way through the session - my upper legs seem to tire easily after several 30sec crawls - hope to become better accustomed over next few weeks
Am off on holidays in a few weeks and wanted to get accustomed to discrete sessions rather than GTG. It is an easy routine to do on holidays.

Stopped doing GTG crawls and started Louka's program again a couple of days ago…

I‘m intrested, too. I tend to do programming in form of steady state in the past and progress after doing the same amount of work for some weeks or workouts. Reason was to be sure to not loosing strength and get the tendons/joints some time to adapt. I downloaded his training template and was unsure, wich is better/leads to faster progress. Keep on posting.
edit: do you follow Lucas approach with braced abs and small steps or the OS approach with extended reaching and flexible hips?

Last edited:
I tend to do programming in form of steady state in the past and progress after doing the same amount of work for some weeks or workouts. Reason was to be sure to not loosing strength and get the tendons/joints some time to adapt.
Not to stray too far from the topic of crawling, but I had a couple thoughts about this.

I was introduced to steady state programming through Christopher Sommers and Gymnastic Bodies. I'm 90% certain he used precisely because it gave the body time to make longer-lasting physiological adaptations, resulting in not only more-solidified strength gains, but also in greater resilience. I could be wrong, for sure, but it appears to me that SS gives slower strength gains, but they are harder to lose, whereas other programs give you strength faster, but you might detrain more easily. I would personally love to see some studies comparing steady state with other programs that seem to give you strength gains faster.

Almost an A&A approach. How is it for you?

Should be ok, Louka said in one of his Articles that you can treat these crawling sessions as if they are your morning Cardio session.
Some people are known to be able to crawl continuously for 10min+ up and down inclines and backwards however I'd be happy to do 5min continuous in 12 months time. Current best is 60sec.

Think I'm more like Louka with shorter steps than OS, am not consciously clenching my abs though - I assumed it would simply happen as needed, Gotta take a video to see what it looks like to check ...........

Today's HR Graph is attached below. I used a snore-gard to ensure nasal breathing, had already done 3 sets before I remembered to turn on the HR App so 30+ sets of 30 sec definitely possible

I thought it was interesting that my HR dropped far more during the 60 sec rest if i rested my hands on my knees instead of walking about, see recovery readings just before 40min

Definitely more tiring than my usual bike ride or rowing machine 40min session with a similar average HR - due to sitting down vs all weight on hands and toes ? Polar used to have the interesting ability to overlay one session on top of another to compare them but they deleted that functionality - any HR software out there that does this apart from exporting to Excel ?
crawlHR.jpg

I‘m intrested, too. I tend to do programming in form of steady state in the past and progress after doing the same amount of work for some weeks or workouts.

Hey @Walker - Can you tell me a bit more about what you mean by steady state programming or post a link ? Am not sure what it means, is it slow gradual progress like S&S ?

Anybody ever used those fancy Shwinn Assault Bikes with the moving handles ? LINK ? What are they like for a wake-me-up cardio session ?

Last edited:
T
Hello, here is a link:
primarily it’s used for static holds, but you could experiment with this.
For example I did 10x 1min crawling for a few weeks, then went to 5x 2minutes, then 4x 3minutes… and so on.
Thankyou very much

That article gave me a new and better understanding of sensible way to avoid injuries - First thing will be to back off on pistol squats for a while, I have previously hurt tendons in elbows and shoulder and want to avoid similar hassles with legs.

Thought I'd keep myself honest by posting at the end of every week. Today was the end of week 1 ... 21min Work required. Tried to fine tune the runaway HR by dropping Work to 25 seconds and keeping Rest at 60 sec = 52 sets for 21min ...... got a bit tiring/boring so tossed in alternatives just to compare exercise HRs
These gave comparable HR to the crawl sets
15 vigorous 2 handed 12kg 2H swings "throwing" the kettlebell down
15 vigorous pushups - arms didn't like that - probably unsustainable for multiple sets)
These were lighter work than the crawl sets
clean press then 12kg waiters carry
unweighted getup
30 seconds hindu squats - very light work compared to crawls

Shoulder not complaining, back not complaining, looking good for taking this program away on holidays in 3 weeks time.

@BillSteamshovel regarding heart rate:

If you have not read any of Tim Anderson's books about original strength, his recommendation is to crawl, breathing through your nose, until you feel like you need to breath through your mouth. Then, rest until you feel ready to go again.

I can't recall if the next part is his method or something I've cobbled together from the aforementioned Steady State training:

Do the above, timing your work and rest periods, until you have accumulated 10 total minutes of work. If you can't make it to 10 minutes at first, that's okay. Just work till you feel like you've had enough. As you repeat this session, over time it will naturally increase to 10 min work. From there, the goal is to try and lengthen the work intervals and reduce the rest intervals until you eventually get to 10 minutes straight.

Hope it helps!

W
@BillSteamshovel regarding heart rate:

.......... the goal is to try and lengthen the work intervals and reduce the rest intervals until you eventually get to 10 minutes straight.

Hope it helps!
Thanks BlueJeff, would you regard the 10 minutes straight with nasal breathing as being a prerequisite to starting Louka's program ? Am a long way off that, will do a test after my 2 days Rest.

Louka's Program ..... Six Week Crawling Plan Part 1 - Hardstyle Kettlebell

Last edited:
W

Thanks BlueJeff, would you regard the 10 minutes straight with nasal breathing as being a prerequisite to starting Louka's program ? Am a long way off that, will do a test after my 2 days Rest.

Louka's Program ..... Six Week Crawling Plan Part 1 - Hardstyle Kettlebell
No I don't think so. Since his plan (unless I'm mis-reading) is basically to halve your max time with good form, and use that for your work interval, you should be fine. It seems like his plan might be a good way to get your crawling time up to begin with.

Hello, after hoping my tendons and joints are prepared through isometrics, I‚m going to try a crawling and suitcase carry and template again, days alternating for an accumulated time for 10 minutes on a steady state basis. Today I crawled ( Louca style with nasal breathing) 5x2 minutes (50percent of actual max crawling). Tomorrow I will carry.

Just a random thought today. I have been crawling for awhile now but 5 weeks ago I started adding 3 nonstop 10 minute crawls a week after training. What I am noticing is the mental side of crawling is becoming harder the more I do it. I constantly check my timer and dread the remaining minutes even tho physically it feels about the same. My mental endurance for it seems to be waning. Anyone experience anything like this? I love crawling. Maybe I need a small crawling detox.

Just a random thought today. I have been crawling for awhile now but 5 weeks ago I started adding 3 nonstop 10 minute crawls a week after training. What I am noticing is the mental side of crawling is becoming harder the more I do it. I constantly check my timer and dread the remaining minutes even tho physically it feels about the same. My mental endurance for it seems to be waning. Anyone experience anything like this? I love crawling. Maybe I need a small crawling detox.
Maybe it’s a mental thing? Is your body more and more fatigued, or are you just mentally fatigued? I think any endurance feat winds up having a big mental component to it, both for the difficulty and the monotony of it. Maybe mixing up your crawling would make it more interesting; try different variations for time instead of just one?

Have I misread the program instructions ?

Original instructions :The chart below refers to the number of minutes you will be crawling (and resting) for each day of the week. Week 2 Day 2 says 15 minutes. Set your timer for 15 minutes and start crawling. (Do only half the number of reps that you can manage if you went all out). Take between 15-30 (or more) seconds rest between each set. Play with the rest periods and adjust as needed. When the time is up, you stop. Comprende?

What I Did Today : a total of 15 min of crawling time rather than 15min of crawls plus rests.

Me : 15min crawl time = 30x30second crawls + 29x60 second rests = 44 minutes total session
Louka's Instructions Above = 15 minutes total session i.e. crawls plus rests = 15 minutes total session ?

Feel like a right goose.

Have I misread the program instructions ?

Original instructions :The chart below refers to the number of minutes you will be crawling (and resting) for each day of the week. Week 2 Day 2 says 15 minutes. Set your timer for 15 minutes and start crawling. (Do only half the number of reps that you can manage if you went all out). Take between 15-30 (or more) seconds rest between each set. Play with the rest periods and adjust as needed. When the time is up, you stop. Comprende?

What I Did Today : a total of 15 min of crawling time rather than 15min of crawls plus rests.

Me : 15min crawl time = 30x30second crawls + 29x60 second rests = 44 minutes total session
Louka's Instructions Above = 15 minutes total session i.e. crawls plus rests = 15 minutes total session ?

Feel like a right goose.
You're good. I followed that program last year and loved it!

Started back to crawling this week. Nothing crazy really, 3 minutes of Leopard crawling forward, baby crawling back. I'm using this as a warmup before high volume swings. Iam going to keep the 3 minutes of crawling as part of my warmup on swing days and and start a crawling program on non-swing days starting tomorrow. I don't currently have the coordination to do Leopard Crawls going in reverse so I will stick with the Baby Crawls going back to my starting point.

Have a great day!

Back
Top Bottom