all posts post new thread

CRAWLING CLUB (group log for crawling practice!)

Using the bball court at the school i work at, starting out with 1/2 court (~12m) forwards then backwards leopard crawls. To get out of the gym there us a ramp about the same distance so I’ll go up and down that as well. 2 sets on the court, 2 sets on the ramp. This log is a great inspiration to intentionally crawl, thanks @bluejeff ! Really feeling it in my lats after an attempt at the snatch test this past Friday.

Final day week 1 = 21minute on the progam. Flat ground knees up, difficult.
7 x 60sec crawl + 60 sec rest, unable to maintain this timing so finished with
7 x 30 sec crawl + 30 sec rest

Given the assumed equivalence between TGU and crawling in the alternative S&S program posted above, then some of these longer sessions are the equvalent of many TGUs. Will do some comparisons of unweighted TGUS vs Crawling with chest belt.

I have a new respect for those folk who can crawl continuously for aaaages.

Last edited:
Same workout today->
Morning recharge, fasted, no warm up. Only nasal breathing, even resting.
3 sets of 4 minutes, (30s on, 30s off, both backwards and front leopard) resting 2 - 3 minutes between sets (until breathing gets easier).
->so 12 30s reps, total crawling time 6 minutes.

Today a little bit easier but the nasal breathing makes it hard, at least for me and my 50% blocked right nostril.

I decided to start (next week) with @Geoff Neupert Kb 365 program, so this evening I started playing with some of the movements and I think I'll need to go easier with the crawling!

Yesterday, as somewhat of an experimental finisher, after my bodyweight training session I did continuous crawling, switching between leopard crawl and four-point crawl. Forwards and backwards, nasal breathing only, head up, eyes forward, good posture. Two rounds, first one 30 seconds leopard then 30 seconds four-point crawl repeated until I could not go on any longer with good technique. Then a few minute break and another round with 15 second intervals.

First round I made it to seven minutes. Second set I only got up to four minutes thirty seconds. I think I would of had a few intervals left in me on both sets before my breathing would fail, but especially on the first set it was me in my mind that gave up rather than my technique.

This was quite grueling and I am most definitely feeling the effects today. My lats have not been this sore in a while.

Crawling experiment continues. After my light bodyweight training session I did two crawling circuits.

First one I used resistance bands fixed to a heater (pic attached) and would wrap the band around my head and leopard crawl for just a couple of steps. One set every 45 seconds, alternating forwards (with band around forehead) and backwards (band around back of the head). Total time 15 minutes, so 10 sets each direction. This lit up the core quite nicely. However, I haven’t got enough space nor trust in the bands to fight them full on, which would definitely be even better.

Second circuit was done without added resistance. Every 20 seconds I squatted down, leopard crawled forward for about 6-7 steps and got up. Total time 20 minutes, so 60 sets total. Easy work, although I was not too keen on the 20 second interval. Felt rushed. I’d rather crawl longer and have longer breaks.

The entire session was done nasal breathing all the time. Crawling was done head up, eyes forward. All in all was a good session, but the protocols need some refinement.

3B30F5D5-A7BA-4F26-8BA2-F5D1E86BC3D3.jpeg

Hello,
added minibands around my ankles (middle resistance) and another around my wrists (light resistance). Continued for 10 minutes with 30 seconds leopard crawling followed by 30 seconds pause. Nasal breathing, chest up. This is my next steady state vor the next crawling sessions.

I'm 3 weeks into Giant 1.0. I have been doing crawling on my "off days" for general mobility. Easily worked up to 10 solid minutes of baby crawling and humbly attempted leopard crawling. I had to do 1 full minute for 5 rounds only. lots of heavy breathing.

I get very positive feedback on programing supersets of crawling with with KB suitcase carries. Dice to determine; forward / reverse and beast / crab and 1KB / 2KB for a particular session.
I like SC very much, they tie you together like crawling, but in another way. For myself, in combination, i feel an overload in my midsection/core. I prefer the combination of crawling and chest carries, but for the next time I try to only add on crawling to my regular training. I tend to get lost in variety and loose focus.

Light session for me today. Tired from school.

Did about 6 minutes total of a crawling medley: forwards and backwards leopard, some three point bridge, some random pushups throughout. Played around with crawling in figure eights.

@Training for Life, Thats very interesting using the bands as a resistance, will have a go. Any particular reason for applying the bands to your head ? I've got a very stout strong leather belt and will have a go with the bands attached to that for my first go.

@Training for Life, Thats very interesting using the bands as a resistance, will have a go. Any particular reason for applying the bands to your head ? I've got a very stout strong leather belt and will have a go with the bands attached to that for my first go.
Having to fight against a force with my head and neck to stay upright just does something special for my core and back. That said, I’ve also done the same exercise with the bands attached to my waist and that felt great as well. However, I can’t get anywhere near my maximal exertion with the band attached to waist, due to space constraints and a fear of the band snapping. With the band attached to my head, the maximum possible exertion before my neck gives in is so much less that it’s easier to reach some meaningful resistance.

Week2 Day 1 : scheduled total=8min : lost the count and ended up doing 5 x 60 sec crawls with 60 sec rests
Used the HR monitor to compare exercises. For my cardiovascular system 60sec crawl/60rest is a very similar effort to 2x12kg TGU RH, rest 60sec, 2xTGU LH. 1 arm pushups on my easy day (height 97cm 4 sets of 5 each arm) are far less strain on cardio sysytem.

Having to fight against a force with my head and neck to stay upright just does something special for my core and back. That said, I’ve also done the same exercise with the bands attached to my waist and that felt great as well. However, I can’t get anywhere near my maximal exertion with the band attached to waist, due to space constraints and a fear of the band snapping. With the band attached to my head, the maximum possible exertion before my neck gives in is so much less that it’s easier to reach some meaningful resistance.

Thanks for the reply, some random thoughts - Is it frustrating doing a couple of steps forwards and then backwards again all the time ? if you could get a treadmill to go slow enough you wouldn't have to go backwards and forwards all the time you could just keep the tension on the bands as the belt moves underneath your crawl. I had a quick try on my wife's treadmill and couldn't get it to go slow enough, maybe one of those fancy treadmills that do not have a motor would do the trick or go outside and crawl around garden dragging a light trolly behind. Will have a go with trolly in next few days.

Today:
I have been enjoying a "crawling medley," as opposed to just one type of crawl for time.

~10minutes total- mix of leopard, some "twisting bear" (I think that's what GMB calls it...), some three-point bridge, and some pushups sprinkled in. Long term crawling goal remains a backwards lizard crawl up the stairs ;)

Back
Top Bottom