all posts post new thread

CRAWLING CLUB (group log for crawling practice!)

- Is it frustrating doing a couple of steps forwards and then backwards again all the time ?
I feel it’s frustrating because I cannot go at high intensities due to the lack of space. If I go harder, I hit a wall. The effect on my posture and how my upper back feels afterwards is quite promising, and I feel the benefits would be multiplied with increased intensity.
I tested this morning, after a couple of days off.
Nasal breathing only, leopard back and front, 2 minutes 40 seconds no stops, good form.
It was around 1 minute some weeks ago not attending the breath, so good for me!
Kudos, that’s quite an improvement!

Today as a finisher some crawling again.

I figured that the best way to approach the band-around-the-head crawling in a small space is to stay at a distance where I can feel resistance, then just slowly go a single step forwards and backwards. The backwards leopard crawl with a heavy band around the head does something magical for my upper back.

I also did a crawling variation mentioned by @Walker earlier on this thread, where you wrap a band between the hands. I did that with the band around my wrists, leopard crawling forwards and backwards. Another nice way of getting a (different kind of) reflexive effect. This one felt very good in my shoulders and scaps. Thanks for the tip!

Week2 Day 5 : Scheduled : 21min = 17 sets of 30 sec work 40 sec rest ..........not easy not too hard .... lost the count ended up doing 18 sets for a total of 9:00 crawl seems like a reasonable work/rest ratio ........ doubt that I could keep it up for 25min ............ funny thing, I know I'm tired but don't know what parts of me are telling my brain to stop, abs aching slightly, an awareness of back of thighs breathing heavy by end of each 30 sec.

I did some light crawling between work sets of my light day yesterday. Experimented a bit with the posture. I think getting my chest up farther than I had been in leopard crawls might be better for what I need….? Will continue to play with it.

If I have the time/energy later I might get another session in this afternoon.

I ve got Covid and have to pause the crawling experiment. My max nonstop crawling was 3min and 30 sec with nasal breathing, then my head started sinking. Three weeks ago it was 90 seconds. I hope I‘m able to continue in a few days or weeks.
To keep Lung capacity and functional mobility i do some WH breathing and some easy OS resets.
Keep up the thread, it‘s motivating to see your programming, strategies and successes.

I’ve been sprinkling in the crawling lately but nothing structured in a while. Did 6 sets of leopard crawls 12m forward, 12m backwards continuously. Averaged out to about 1:30 for each set and tried to balance it with equal rest. So about 9:30 total of crawling.

Some more easy crawling today as a finisher. Eight sets of about 20 steps, 1:1 forwards to backwards. I experimented with a resistance band, alternating between the band around the wrists, around the ankles and each end in my hands with the band wrapped around my upper back (like you would use a band when doing push-ups). The latter felt very good. While it did not seem to really add any resistance, it felt like my arms were better interated to my torso. I recommend testing that out.

Great thread. Just started crawling this week. Due to tendonitis in my right hand I’m not to hard grip anything for some weeks, so no kettlebells.
I found Louka’s no kettlebells S&S on YouTube

I’ve done two sessions so far this week. Crawling for 45 seconds (1rep), toes and hands, forward and backwards, rest, repeat 5 times.
Much harder than I imagined!

I need of some advice. I’ve been following the program in the above video. But I can’t see where the progression is explained?
I could rerun the test in the video and adjust accordingly….
Or for jumps I’m guessing add a few reps into sets similar to simple and sinister?
Or for crawling I’m guessing increase time under tension and/or reduce rest period?
Advice welcome

@Essexman there are a couple ways to progress jumps and crawling. It mostly depends on what you’d like to do.

If you have a weight vest, that’s a very simple solution. Since most vests allow you add a little weight at a time, you can slowly add as you adapt.

Crawls are the easier thing to progress. There is such a wide variety of types of crawls that you can easily make it harder if needed. Or as you said, you can reduce rests, increase TUT, etc.

If you don’t want to go for straight endurance/time under tension (like aiming for 10 minutes unbroken, for example), do harder crawl variations. There are quite a few lizard crawl progressions and videos out there for instance. Or if you have wall space, backwards crawl to the wall and then begin to do wall walks. Search for handstand wall walk and you’ll find info. If you’re uncomfortable going all the way up, just go as far you can safely and comfortably. Wall walks would develop overhead strength and mobility.

If you have a hill nearby, crawling backwards up a hill is a favorite of mine!

If you want some more specific ideas I can find some sources.

Well I'm finally joining the club! I crawled outside today, a mix of forward-backward-lateral leopard crawling for a total of 5 mins. I love crawling outside when it's nice, the unevenness of the terrain adds some variability.

For those doing Louka Kurcer's crawling plan part 1 here is Crawling plan part 2. I have to warn you, I tried it with all backwards crawling and ended up with pain at the accromio-clavicular joint from too much backwards crawling.

@BillSteamshovel are you doing Louka's crawling plan? Did you test your max at the beginning and do half that as work sets? He also mentions that the test should be with good form, before you start breaking down. If you push too hard on your test it'll make the program way too tough. I remember having to adjust the rest periods when I did the plan. 15-30 seconds wasn't necessarily enough. From looking at my results, on days with over 15 minutes I was doing close to a 1:1 work rest ratio. My baseline was 2:30 at the time and set time was 1:15. On days of 20 mins I'd do something like 10 sets, so I was resting a good 45 seconds, sometimes more. I was also mixing up the types of crawling I was doing while I crawled, going forward, backward and sideways allowed me to better distribute the fatigue all over.

Last edited:
@BillSteamshovel are you doing Louka's crawling plan?
Thanks for the note. Yes doing Louka's plan, initial calbration 80 seconds. Settled on Work 30sec Rest 40 sec. Took me a while to find the right combination. In either a video or a web article he recommended to experiment with the times until you get it right. Currently on 2 days rest and recalibrate end of coming week.

I tried your link above to part 2 of Loukas program and access denied, so request sent for access.

Last edited:
@James Sullivan @Walker @Benjamin Renaud

Am interested. When you chaps do these Crawling/SC supersets are you doing a few metres of carrying the kettlebell or 10's of metres or 100ish metres ?
I didn‘t superset crawling and KB suitcase carries. This way it was difficult for me to keep good form and nasal breathing. First, I did my crawling, then I carried the bell for time, 30-60seconds on the left, then switched to the right and continued this way for 10-20 minutes. I don‘t know the meters or yards. I train indoor with limited space. For variation I used goblet/ chest carries for 30 seconds, followed by 30 seconds pause for 10-20 minutes.

@BillSteamshovel sorry about the link, it should work now. Let me know if it doesn't

Am interested. When you chaps do these Crawling/SC supersets are you doing a few metres of carrying the kettlebell or 10's of metres or 100ish metres ?
I still haven't done the supersets but I'll likely crawl something like 45 sec and carry double that distance. 45 sec seems confortable for now since I haven't crawled in a couple of years.

Back
Top Bottom