all posts post new thread

CRAWLING CLUB (group log for crawling practice!)

Today's practice:

-about 5 minutes total of leopard+twisting bear+three point bridge at the end.
-then practiced lizard crawl for another 4-5ish rounds.

Thoughts on lizard crawl practice:
I am still baffled as to how these will ever not feel so hard. Four or five rounds of 6-ish steps (three per side) feels like I just did some heavy iron lifting or something. I am further baffled by how one does a backwards lizard crawl while remaining low to the ground. The coordination is something else.....

I imagine that I can increase the lizard crawl by just spending a lot more time "down in the gutter" (as Ido put it). I think what makes it so hard is the time under tension. It's nothing like repping out pushups where your muscles get rest at the top of the push. It's more of a long term tension. . .only you are trying to move at the same time. Just feeling what I have gotten a taste of tells me enough to know that if one could stay down there like that for multiple minutes, they would indeed be very strong.

@bluejeff would you mind linking a tutorial or some clips of lizard crawling? I remember trying it and failing miserably some years back but I'd love to give it another go later in my crawling journey.

@Benjamin Renaud

I liked this guy's breakdown:

I also like the articles this guy wrote:

While Ido Portal is probably the guy that made the lizard crawl something that anyone cared about, he seems to be very tight-lipped about training methodologies. I suspect it in part has to do with the desire to get people physically practicing together, as opposed to being internet-trained hermits (like...ahem...myself).

Thanks for the links. The first guy I ever saw doing them was Vahva Fitness if I remember correctly, I never checked if he had a tutorial for them though.

Today's crawling:

Leopard + twisting bear and three-point bridge, followed by:
Lizard crawls (6 "steps" per side)x3

Note on the lizard crawl:
Thinking about "rowing" the elbows back and putting more weight into the heels of the palms seems to keep the tension in the right places. My experience with GST and calisthenics has taught me that people (myself included) tend to anteriorly tilt the shoulder blades in deep pushup positions. That leads to sort of "using the traps" to hold the body's weight, and that, for me, leads to a stiff and tight neck.

The above cue helped me to feel it more in the front delts, serratus, and lats.

today 10 x 1 minute leopard crawling with rest as needed. I prefer to do them with a tightened core and smaller steps in the way coach Louca recommends.
1652639475410.jpeg Crawling the OS way seems to be with bigger steps and a mobile hip.
Whats your crawling style and why?

Crawling the OS way seems to be with bigger steps and a mobile hip.
Whats your crawling style and why?
I prefer the OS method for leopard crawls, as the idea is to develop reflexive stabilization and strength. In a recent thread, @Geoff Neupert also mentioned that the idea was to not consciously brace, rather, by crawling your body should reflexivley brace.

It is my opion that with crawling it is better to more let the body do its thing unless you need to focus on engagment in a particular way to prevent or correct some kind of imbalance or compensation somehwere. That being said, I also think that if you feel you are seeing benefit from practicing a particular way, that it's not necessarily "incorrect" in any way.

Geoff Neupert also mentioned that the idea was to not consciously brace, rather, by crawling your body should reflexivley brace.
I also think that if you feel you are seeing benefit from practicing a particular way, that it's not necessarily "incorrect" in any way.
Thank you. I think in my case ist belongs to where I crawl. Last year I trained outdoors and did defenitely larger steps, extending the rear leg and arm touching the front/bent leg. This year I am limited to indoor training ca. 3,5 x 1 meters. Doing the crawls in Loucas way, I get 4 steps forward and backwards, which feels mentally more satisfying than doing only one or two bigger steps. Additionallly ist teaches me to nasal breathe behind the shield wich seems to translate well in everyday activities done under tension.

Last session I played with the times. Added 5 sec to crawling sets (5x50 seconds), and reduced the rest (from 2 mins to 1 min) due to having less time to practice that day.
It didn't seem too much harder during the workout, but I could feel it more the next day, very slight muscle soreness induced!

Reduced resting times. 1 minute crawling, 1 minute crawling for 10 rounds. Heart rate was 175/min and my clothes soaked with sweat, to keep nasal breathing and good form during the last rounds was difficult. I think I should stay at this level for the next days, need some time to adapt.

I'm doing a 3-4-5 (L-M-H template) minutes of total crawling per week. My wrists still need time to adjust to more volume. Sets are varying from 45-60 seconds. I plan on doing 4-5-6 within a week or two and slowly go up to 6-8-10 of total crawling time.

I've noticed the variant I find the easiest is lateral crawling, but I mix leopard, lateral and backwards in my sessions.

Back
Top Bottom