all posts post new thread

CRAWLING CLUB (group log for crawling practice!)

GTG leopard crawling today (forwards & backwards), total of 5 or 6 sets. Something interesting is happening to my shoulder and scapular complex, especially during the backwards crawl. Will keep going to see what happens.

GTG leopard crawling today (forwards & backwards), total of 5 or 6 sets. Something interesting is happening to my shoulder and scapular complex, especially during the backwards crawl. Will keep going to see what happens.
Forward crawling is great, but backwards crawling is where the money is, imo. Stick with it for a while to get acclimated, and then try it backwards up a hill :)

Forward crawling is great, but backwards crawling is where the money is, imo. Stick with it for a while to get acclimated, and then try it backwards up a hill :)
Funny how I’ve almost always done 1:1 forwards to backwards, but I never really paid attention to the backwards part. Just kind of did it. Now suddenly it feels all different after focusing on it more.

Did 5 minutes of mostly leopard crawling today. I typically do one lap forward and one back, and then do one twisting bear and one three-point bridge each side, and then repeat the whole thing. The variety is nice, and the twisting bear and 3pt bridge provide brief rests for the muscles working in the leopard crawl.

Today, I did more leopard crawling without the the additional moves. Just leopard back and forth. This is how I will progress crawling. I have never gotten to 10 minutes straight, but I can tell by how my abs were working with the little I did today that it is probably worth it. So I think I'll work towards that through some kind of escalating density.

crazy last week or so, finally had the energy to crawl seriously a bit again...

leopard crawl, back and forth, with a few other movements sprinkled in:
-total time (including rests)- 10:40
-total time spent crawling- 7:05

I think I am going to just set my stopwatch and have my total crawling time be around 10 minutes. I'll just hit the lap button each time I rest or restart. This way I can track my progress towards that 10 minutes unbroken.

Been busy and dealing with some life stress lately, so today was less than usual, but I got some crawling in:

As part of my session:
-leopard and some of my mixed crawling stuff- 7:30 total time, 5:00 spent crawling.

Got some in today myself. Did about 6:30 of a medley. Waiting to get my gas tank back after a stressful few weeks. For a while I could do 5+minutes, plus my other strength training! Now I'm all wiped out after that combo.

I was inspired and tried some leopard crawling the last couple of days. I am amazed at how difficult it is. Didn’t even get close to 10 minutes of continuous leopard crawling.

My hip flexors are extremely sore. Has anyone else experienced this when they started crawling?

I also had some tendinitis flare up in my wrist that might be a deal breaker for this exercise.

Nevertheless, kudos to the crawlers in this forum. You must be some strong dudes.

My hip flexors are extremely sore. Has anyone else experienced this when they started crawling?

I also had some tendinitis flare up in my wrist that might be a deal breaker for this exercise.
I haven’t experienced sore hip flexors; I suspect it’s the result of doing a novel movement at a duration for the first time. Try doing some glute bridges or table rocks alongside crawls (just be sure to engage your glutes first before allowing the hips to raise, remember that the low back shouldn’t be doing the work).

Wrist soreness might also be the result of loading the wrists in an unfamiliar way. It might also be the result of a lack of wrist extension.

Something you can try if you’d like is to start with rocking and elevated rocking variations for a while before really having a go at crawls. They are gentler and should allow you to familiarize your body with the movement patterns, as well as expose tissues to the kinds of loads they’re I’ll experience.

Hope it helps, and feel free to post here about it whenever you’d like.

As for me, I’ve been on vacation between summer and fall semesters. Should pick back up with training next week.

Back
Top Bottom