all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Crawling vs Walking (carries)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

njrick1

Level 5 Valued Member
Hello all,

I thought it would be interesting to compare and contrast the benefits between walking and crawling. This could include spider man crawling, crawling with a load, kettle bell carries, walking with a weighted pack etc. Benefits could include reflexive strength, strength endurance, body composition, work capacity etc. I would love to hear the thoughts of this forum.

OS regards crawling as a regression to walking.. "4 legs good, 2 legs better"

in other words they encourage you to load your walking once you have established a good foundation based on crawling

I think you will see similar benefits from all gait pattern work though, whether it be crawling, jogging, walking, sprinting, or skipping.. same, but different

in other words they encourage you to load your walking once you have established a good foundation based on crawling

I think you will see similar benefits from all gait pattern work though, whether it be crawling, jogging, walking, sprinting, or skipping.. same, but different

This ^

Every time that I focus on crawling it becomes obvious. Crawling is a less efficient way to cover distance which highlights are errors therefore helping correct them. But one your crawling is flawless move upright... Than movement upright faster...

I would baby crawling > walking > skipping for gait is like hinge patterning > deadlift > swing to the hip hinge

Yes this makes sense! If crawling is a regression, and I’ve already worked up to a1/4 mile crawl, does it make any sense to pursue longer distance or weighted crawling or do you think spending that time with kettlebell carries and sprints would be a better bang for the buck?

Yes this makes sense! If crawling is a regression, and I’ve already worked up to a1/4 mile crawl, does it make any sense to pursue longer distance or weighted crawling or do you think spending that time with kettlebell carries and sprints would be a better bang for the buck?

What are your goals?

1/4 mile non-stop or accumulated in a session? What type of crawling?

What are your goals?

1/4 mile non-stop or accumulated in a session? What type of crawling?

My goals are non specific. I want to look good feel good and move well and be able to do so my whole life.

I Spider-Man crawl back and forth across my basement 24 times unbroken which equals 1/4 mile. I do this about twice a week.

My goals are non specific. I want to look good feel good and move well and be able to do so my whole life.

I Spider-Man crawl back and forth across my basement 24 times unbroken which equals 1/4 mile. I do this about twice a week.

I would suggest getting https://www.amazon.com/Original-Strength-Performance-Becoming-Superhero-ebook/dp/B00GYC8YRO

it sounds like you are progressing through OS nicely.. might be time to add in some weighted walking if you are not already doing so

Carries and sprints!!!
A great no-nonsense minimal programm!
Add crawling as a finisher if you must.

I would suggest getting https://www.amazon.com/Original-Strength-Performance-Becoming-Superhero-ebook/dp/B00GYC8YRO

it sounds like you are progressing through OS nicely.. might be time to add in some weighted walking if you are not already doing so

Yes I agree, I have that book, it is excellent! What I misunderstand is, if crawling is a regression, does that mean it should be on the back burner once loaded walking is introduced? Or should it remain an equal part of training?

Yes I agree, I have that book, it is excellent! What I misunderstand is, if crawling is a regression, does that mean it should be on the back burner once loaded walking is introduced? Or should it remain an equal part of training?

I'm sorry, but I don't think I know enough about OS to answer that properly. I believe they intend for you to add in things like walking, skipping and sprinting pretty gradually though

remember that chapter "good, better, best"? I think Tim and Geoff didn't want you to worry about the progression too much.

That's allot of crawling... I would suggest going by OSP "progression" and add loaded walking, either carries or draging. As @Jak Nieuwenhuis said, don't over think the progression, just add some and more over time... DoDwhat makes you feel better. Eventually walking will be your focusfabd crawling on the back burner or as movement prep, but I would keep the because we have a tendancy to fall back to our old walking patterns.... If you keep crawling as your main focus load them with speed or drag weight.

What I misunderstand is, if crawling is a regression, does that mean it should be on the back burner once loaded walking is introduced? Or should it remain an equal part of training?

I guess Tim would answer this question with: "It depends" ;)

I asked him a similar question at a workshop few weeks ago. The answer was roughly that you should choose the regressions and progressions you are able to and feel the most bang for your buck. You can test the effects through testings like toe touch or squat depth. It can always make sense to revisit regressions to see if they have positive effects on the state you are now. Sometimes they are what you need now, but didn´t need them in the past.

For me personally I would never give up crawling, since I still feel the positive effects on my shoulders and I like the time under tension for the whole body which loaded walking doesn´t replicate the same way.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom