all posts post new thread

Nutrition Creatine

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

footballer55

Level 4 Valued Member
Today I walked into a new supplement store. I was given 4 sample size packets of GAT JetMass creatine. The brand itself seems reliable, but is creatine itself? I've found a whole bunch of websites, all of which are either concerned mothers or bodybuilders who don't care about possible liver problems. My age is 14 and my weight is 170, is creatine ok for me? Thanks, Mike.

Hello,

From what I read, creatine is not very necessary. Basically, your body can create it thanks to eating. It can be useful if you have some hormonal unbalance though.

Creatine intake for a while is not bad for health in itself. It is just not necessary I believe.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

From what I read, creatine is not very necessary. Basically, your body can create it thanks to eating. It can be useful if you have some hormonal unbalance though.

Creatine intake for a while is not bad for health in itself. It is just not necessary I believe.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Is it worth using the 4 free packets? (One serving each)

If you were my son, I wouldn't want you using it. You are awfully young. I would be more worried about you eating properly and being taught properly, than putting something in your body you might not need.

I have a bit of a mental check list I run through before I buy any supplements.

1 Do I really need it ?
2 Will I become dependent on it ?
3 Will my performance suffer if I run out of it ?
4 Am I better off spending a little bit extra on my meal tonight and buying some premium organic produce ?

While creatine is in a different class to other supplements and has been shown to provide some real benefits, what happens when you run out ?

I'd second guess myself, knowing that performance edge is gone would play on my mind & the drop in physical performance would just make me want to start taking it again. For me that would be similar behaviour to any other addiction.

With some dedicated hard work and training I could perform maybe 97- 99% as well as I would with the creatine but I'd never be in a state where I can't perform because I haven't had my creatine.

I can't help but think of the sea monkeys I wanted when I was a kid when I read the marketing hype on the packaging of dietary supplements.

Last edited:
On top of what @Tarzan said, what are you doing wasting time and money in a supplement store?? Go study and try to get a 4.0, work out some, eat, and sleep. Make friends and enjoy them. Have a good life! You don't need to let those type of salespeople into your life.

Based on what I have read, it really only helps you squeeze out an extra rep or two. I assume that means quality reps.

I also remember all the guys on college trying it first year. Most had diarrhea very quickly and few stuck with it. Anything to get an edge in fire protection.

@Tarzan Great questions! One of the reasons I ditched protein powder. My prof penance has yet to suffer (been the better part of a week) and I find I feel better. Next is I am ditching the afternoon coffee. I hate needing one.

Creatine will help you do more work. That is the whole point of training to get in more work overall, and trigger the adaptive response. There is plenty of evidence to prove the effectiveness of creatine supplementation.

Hello,

@Michael morrissey
It is 2g per day during one month if you are on maintenance. I precise that if you eat in quality and quantity, your body will also produce 2g a day. When you take creatine, you have to drink a lot (at least 2L a day) because it causes deshydratation and possibly cramps.

Creatine is a molecule which helps to create ATP (ATP = energy for muscle). Thus, a creatine intake will improve ATP creation. This, such as BCAA, it might be taken shortly before and or shortly after an effort.

For once, I have not a so definite opinion about creatine than Geoff Chafe (Goeff Chafe, take no offense in that !). I agree some studies say that is a good supplement. But there also a lot of them which say that some people are not very creatine respondent.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@Michael morrissey
It is 2g per day during one month if you are on maintenance. I precise that if you eat in quality and quantity, your body will also produce 2g a day. When you take creatine, you have to drink a lot (at least 2L a day) because it causes deshydratation and possibly cramps.

Creatine is a molecule which helps to create ATP (ATP = energy for muscle). Thus, a creatine intake will improve ATP creation. This, such as BCAA, it might be taken shortly before and or shortly after an effort.

For once, I have not a so definite opinion about creatine than Geoff Chafe (Goeff Chafe, take no offense in that !). I agree some studies say that is a good supplement. But there also a lot of them which say that some people are not very creatine respondent.

Kind regards,

Pet'
So I have 4 packets of 35g (140g). If I break that up into 6 loading days of one third of the first two packets, leaving me with about 70g, then break the 70g into maintain days for about 2 more weeks, would that be a good trial run for me? If I really notice improvement, maybe I'll consider getting more.
Thanks, Mike.

That's the thing with creatine, you have to do the loading when you first start taking it. That is where many find the stomach discomfort and diarrhea. But I believe too that like flax, some people just can't tolerate it.

If you ask bodybuilders, what would you take if you could only take one supplement, the answer is generally creatine.

But if you search on the inter-web, you'll find several cautions regarding it.

Having said that, 14 yr. old, you don't need it. Train hard, eat right, do the big compound exercises, drink whole milk and eat eggs.

Hello,

@Michael morrissey
as @banzaiengr said, you start with a load. Then, you can do your split for your trial, you are right.

However, at 14 yo I do not believe you need that. Your body is still building itself. A proper diet and a good programming are enough IMO.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Seriously, even though you probably won't listen. You don't need creatine at 14 years old. You want a competitive edge? Eat a carton of eggs and 5 tins of sardines a day. Organic if possible. Then add grass fed beef, organic bone broth, sweet potatoes and vegetables.

Or you can waste your money on creatine for that one extra rep.

@Mark Kidd I started Olympic Weightlifting when I was 13 years old. I have taken Creatine off and on for many years. I don't perceive any noticeable effect, but there is enough evidence to support its effectiveness. It's cheap, and easy to take, with no ill effects, for me.

When you are young and your testosterone levels are off the charts, you get a b#$%^ every thirty seconds, and you are adapting everyday to your changing body. There is no better time to train and make your body adapt on a positive way.

If an individual does their research, and decides they want to take supplements for what ever reason to help them adapt, and they do there own risk/reward assessment, and experimentation, that is that individuals choice. Do not listen to a salesmen or gym bro.

You cannot impart your views and preconceptions, and judge someone else. Creatine is a lot safer than other food, supplement, and drug choices. Everything we do involves risk, making choices, and mistakes is part of growing up.

I personally would let my son try Creatine if he did the research and expressed why he wanted to take it.

BCAA is assumed safe and effective, but it is expensive, many people misuse it and it has elevated concentrations of lead. Is BCAA better than Creatine? That is your call.

Last edited:
Creatine is a good supplement, but I wouldn't use it before you can pull 300-400 lbs. or swing 32 kg bell one handed. Reap the beginner's benefits without supplements first and then reconsider using them, when older and more familiar with weights.

Hello,

@Michael morrissey
To sum up a little, as your packets are free, then use it the way we said (load + maintenance). Keep training while doing the intake. If you feel that you progress, then...do what you wish, as @Geoff Chafe said it will be at your
own risk/reward

Is creatine intake at 14 yo an "over reaction" to lift more or not ? Well, no one except you have the answer.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom