all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Critique my plan for my return to training (especially those with military experience)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Harry Westgate

Level 6 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
I apologise in advance for this being quite a lengthy and detailed post, but if there are any military/ex-military guys out there who could help me out I'd really appreciate if you could give some of your time to read this and offer any suggestions.

Hello all,

So I've been out of action for the past week due to what the doctor told me is a stomach bug, basically leaving me without an appetite and feeling super weak.

However, looking forward, at some point within the next year, I plan to join the British Army, specifically the Parachute Regiment (Paras), and so when I return to training in the next week or so (provided I'm well enough), I want my training to be geared towards exceeding the physical standards for entry to the Paras, which are as follows (at least in the most recent source I've seen):

• Press-ups: 55 in 2 minutes
  • Sit-ups: 55 in 2 minutes
  • Chin-ups: 10 (no time limit)
  • 1.5 mile run: 9 minutes, 40 seconds
Now, my training over the past few months has consisted of daily S&S training, doing the swings with the 24kg in just over 6 minutes and get-ups with the 24kg in about 7 minutes, trying the make the transition to 32kg. As well as this, I've greased the groove with pistol squats, mainly with an additional 24kg, and also done GTG/ES pull-ups.

Regarding the specific exercises that I'd need to do for the Paras:
  • Press-ups: I've not tested my max press-ups in quite some time, but based off my work in the past doing TGUs and one arm pushups prior to that, I imagine I'd definitely get 40+.
  • Sit-ups: Last time I tested (at least six months ago) I got 60 if memory serves me correctly, but that was without ANY sit-up training, and if at all possible, I'd like to keep sit-up frequency to an absolute minimum since they REALLY hurt my tailbone.
  • Chin-ups: 10 is easy, I can do 15-17 on a very good day (and this is without chin/pull-ups being a major focus of my training), so would like to get as close to 20 as possible by the time I go for selection.
  • 1.5 mile run: I'm pretty comfortable getting under 10 minutes even on a fairly bad day, and when I really push myself on a decent day I can get in the 9:20-9:30 range, but want to improve this because I've read on online sources that the directing staff like to surprise candidates with a 3+mile 'warmup' before doing the 1.5 mile test run which has to be done in under 9:40.
So, based off what I have found to work for me in the past, and also tweaking stuff to focus more on what will be expected of me, my proposed training plan looks something like this:

Monday
  • 1.5 mile run (50-60% effort)
  • GTG one arm pushups (as many sets as possible while fresh; logic here, if I can train to the point of being able to do say 10+ OAPUs easily, doing them with two arms will be really easy)
  • GTG weighted pistols (pistols create very strong, never-quit legs (at least in my experience), making everything easier)
Tuesday
  • S&S as written (swings and get-ups)
  • GTG weighted pull-ups (I find pull-ups harder than chin-ups and that improving pull-ups leads to improvements in chin-ups)
  • GTG weighted pistols
Wednesday
  • S&S swings (skipping get-ups in order to remain fresh for OAPUs)
  • GTG OAPUs
  • GTG weighted pistols
Thursday
  • 1.5 mile run (75-85% effort)
  • GTG OAPUs
  • GTG weighted pistols
Friday
  • S&S as written
  • GTG weighted pull-ups
  • GTG weighted pistols
Saturday
  • S&S swings
  • GTG OAPUs
  • GTG weighted pistols
Sunday
  • S&S swings
  • GTG OAPUs
  • GTG weighted pistols

Please feel free to tear into this plan as much as you like, or to just tweak it here and there. Now that I just look at it written down, I'm feeling perhaps a third run in place of the Saturday swing session? Also something to ensure my sit-up numbers stay high, but without actually having to do them all the time since they hurt my coccyx (leaning towards trying to fit hanging leg raises in there somewhere, maybe a few sets after the runs?). Obviously I'm also going for an approach which allows me to stay fresh in order to allow for high training frequency and quality, hence the lack of puke-inducing circuits and runs.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out, and I apologise again for the lengthy post.

Harry

Last edited:
I see your 'lengthy post' and raise you one 'long-winded response'

-Good idea not training sit ups. I'm a little (probably not much) older than you and have no problem getting 70+ during a PT test (our is also 2 minutes). TGU's will take care of you, and if you do 1-3 sets of 10-20 situps about 3 days a week in the two weeks prior to your test (to get the pacing down) it won't be an issue.

-Your logic with OAPUs vs. regulation pushups is probably pretty sound. Like situps, a couple weeks before the test I like to start doing pushups here and there, and I have no problem getting 75+ during the test. To be honest, the only pressing work I do is TGU's and, lately, some military pressing.

-It all looks pretty good to me, just make sure you're recovering well from all the volume and have a plan to cut stuff out if you need to. I personally wouldn't worry too much about the pistols and OAPUs, but if you get a lot out of them, keep at em. The only thing I would say is missing is a long, slow distance session, something in the 1-3 hour range. Replacing the Saturday swing session might be the way to go. You could run, but to honest I think you might be better off rucking. It doesn't beat you up as much as running, it will definitely help your running ability, and I would presume that you'll be expected to carry your home on your back for quite a ways after you fall out the sky. I would definitely get yourself some time under a ruck before it's the difference between succeeding and washing out.

-I would also check out a couple articles that Al's written on the topic, if you haven't already.
-hardening-the-soldier-for-combat
-how-to-ruck
...And as an added bonus, if you email Al and ask him real nice, he has literally written a book on the subject (a booklet, really). He can send you a PDF for what I vaguely recall as being pretty darn cheap.

-One last point: you want to be able to blow the standards away, as opposed to just meeting them now and failing later when you're sleep deprived and sick because you're communally living with a bunch of other dudes (I'm sure you know this). When you're 4-6 weeks out from actually going to your initial training, run yourself through a full, no bs test like the one you'll get in the service. If you have any weak spots, that's the time to focus on them. Til then, strengthen your legs, lungs, and back.

Hey,

Your schedule seems pretty good (even more than good) to me. May be would it be good to add some pull ups and abs (hanging leg raises or plank or dragon flag to build core strength) ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

In my time in the service... Running and/or Rucking seemed go with the military like gin and tonic...
Like snowman said, aim for something long and slow once a week.

Having been through a couple of these processes, +1 to @Snowman 's recommendation, it is solid. Legs, lungs, and back. Review Al's articles, add the ruckmarch (follow his advice, and don't do too much too soon or you will end up hurt) and do not program hop. Stay the course, it will help build the intestinal fortitude you will need to get through any selection process. It is worth saying again: legs, lungs, and back.

Good luck. If you prepare right, you'll likely need very little. If you get distracted and aren't ready, sucks to be you. Every military has crappy jobs that need to be filled by washouts who thought they were ready...don't be one of them.

Jon

Apologies for the time taken to respond, I've been away from my laptop for most of the week. Thanks to everyone who has responded!

Before addressing the individual responses, I'll just note here that on Thursday I did the basic fitness test (press-ups, sit-ups, chin-ups, run) having been out of any kind of training for the previous week and a half due to illness, just to assess where I was at, so compared to how I felt before I got sick, I felt pretty out of condition. Nevertheless, I scored the following:

• Press-ups: 47 in 2 minutes (not bad given that I hadn't done a set of two handed press-ups in about six months, plus illness, so I think adding to this should be very doable)
  • Sit-ups: 53 in 2 minutes (all that needs working here is pacing; this wasn't remotely tough work on my core, I just slowed down more than I realised I should have done in the second minute)
  • Chin-ups: 14 (pretty happy with this given that I felt so weak following my illness, definitely going to aim for 20+ by the time I get to being assessed by the Army)
  • 1.5 mile run: 10 minutes, 22 seconds (pretty gutted here, but at the same time, not surprised that it was the event hit the hardest by my illness, so clearly this will need the most work, but I imagine it will also improve the most rapidly after a couple of weeks back into regular training)

@Snowman Thanks for the 'long-winded response'! Regarding the OAPUs and pistols, I think at least for now I'll keep them, to ensure that I have a max-strength base there, and in the case of the OAPUs, I believe I'd be right in viewing it as an exercise that'll aid my basic fitness assessment (by upping my regulation press-up numbers) and also improve upper body strength which I imagine will come in handy during other aspects of training.
Regarding the longer, slower work to replace the Saturday swing session, I see where you're coming from there and given that my run time needs the most work, I'll definitely take that on board. One question regarding the rucking option; I don't currently own a rucksack (will look at purchasing one at some point), so in the meantime, to avoid the risk of getting 'beat-up' too much by running, might a long, slow run, breathing only through my nose be an option? (I've seen this method recommended on this forum before as a means of keeping the run aerobic, and also saw it written about in Easy Strength, as a method suited to boxers and also used by a Spec Ops guy who Pavel refers to only as 'Victor').
Finally, regarding not just meeting the standards, but blowing them away, I know this, don't worry. I think I've got at least a good six months to prepare (the way the application works, I can basically join when I'm ready (there are start dates fairly frequently), so I've got time to get to a very high standard while minimising injury risk), so I'm aiming for a sub-9 minute run, ~75+ press-ups and sit-ups and at least 20 chin-ups in order to really impress the directing staff and best prepare me for the actual training.

Every military has crappy jobs that need to be filled by washouts who thought they were ready...don't be one of them.

Thank you for this. This will be my mantra: 'washouts who thought they were ready... don't be one of them'. I won't be!

I don't currently own a rucksack (will look at purchasing one at some point), so in the meantime, to avoid the risk of getting 'beat-up' too much by running, might a long, slow run, breathing only through my nose be an option?
This is a good option, but try to start rucking pretty soon. It's one of those things that will still carry over to your run, but more importantly, it will prepare you for the actual job you want. Be sure to check out some of Al's material.

Harry, one thing that struck me about your plan is training at the test distance for the run. You need overdistance- be aerobically proficient at 3-6 mi runs, as well as shorter, faster tempo runs, so you can hit your sweet spot of speed and endurance in the 1.5. Rucking will help this immensely. Also, to give all the respect due anyone who serves in any capacity, I'd suggest a more positive mantra! This will help you, too- positive motivation is much more effective than fear-based motivation, in the long run (no pun intended). Some won't pass a selection because they're not prepared, but more will miss it due to overtraining and being worn down from preparation. Hope for good breaks and resilience. Good luck!!

@Harry Westgate,
I'm going to be blunt with you up front and not sugar coat anything. Right now in your stage of training, I would not worry about rucking. Yes, to the experienced military member rucking can help improve running, but the little "secret" no tells you about rucking is how taxing it is on your nervous system, not to mention it's highly metabolic. When you make it to the parachute regiment, you'll do plenty of rucking and they will work you up to it. Lots of guys just go out and over do it on rucking in which they end up hurting their feet, back, hips and knees because they didn't know what to do (or what equipment to use/how to set it up properly) and go out too far of a distance at too high of a pace, and believe me it'll do more harm than good at this stage. Plus don't go spend your money on something the Army will provide you with during your career, its not going to benefit you and you may not be able to use it while serving with the parachute regiment.
So as a guy who's "been there, still doing that" my suggestion to you is to keep your eye on your 25m target. Prepare yourself to exceed the entrance standard (yes I'll harp on that too). Don't worry about a ruck march that you will not be tested on at this stage in preparing for your military career. Stick with S&S but start adding in GTG push ups & Sit-ups throughout the entire day. OAPU and Pistols are nice, but if they're not helping you improve your numbers, I wouldn't make them a priority. When I'm preparing for the US Army PT test, I do my max (80+) in as few sets as possible, 3-4 times per day which will total out to 240-360 pushups a day. As the mantra goes "to press alot, you have to press alot". Same applies for pushups.
And finally, running. Yes you need to run longer. Get comfortable with being uncomfortable, as a Parachute Soldier (we call ours "Airborne") you will run your a#@ off, and as a brand new recruit, more than likely you'll be running everywhere. Continue to work hard and instead of 4-6 weeks prior, I would suggest every 4 weeks testing yourself. This will allow you to make minor adjustments to your training to ensure you are improving.
So keep your head down, drive on, and get to work. This is only the beginning. You haven't even gotten to the real work yet.
-WF

@Harry Westgate, someone has posted links to Al Ciampa's blog posts already. Al also has a pt manual. If this is still available you should get it.

@Matts Funnily enough, I was just thinking that I should look at doing longer runs right before reading your response. I'll extend my scheduled 1.5 mile runs to 3+ miles as per your suggestion. Also, regarding the more 'positive mantra', not to worry - let's just say I do have my many reasons for wanting to do this. Only I can know it's the right thing for me to do. All the same, I appreciate what you're saying very much, thank you.

@Whiskey_Fox What you say there about not rucking just yet reminds me of what the careers advisers told me the first time I visited an Armed Forces Careers Office. They said not to bother for the simple reason that there is a technique to it and they will teach me in training and build me up gradually. Again, I'm fully aware that I need to exceed the entrance standards on the BFT that I listed in my first post. Regarding the regular testing, I had actually planned to do this myself; given that I did my first test day on the 18/02, I figured I'd keep it simple and have the 18th of every month as my test day to see how I'm progressing, and what needs more emphasis. For instance, if my chin-ups barely improve at all, clearly I'll need to add more weekly chin/pull-ups. Same obviously goes for running, pushups, etc. Thanks very much for your suggestions.

For the next month, I think I'll go with the routine I laid out in my original post, with the adjustments of a nasal breathing long run instead of the swings on Saturday, running 3+ miles instead of the 1.5 listed, and adding in some abdominal specific work, probably prior to the running.

Thanks so much for the advice and motivation everyone, I'll try to keep you all posted on my progress. Hopefully in just under a month I'll be able to report back with some better numbers for each of the tests.

Mr. @Harry Westgate ,

You've gotten some great advice here, but I think the best bit has been to contact Mr. Al Ciampa. His manual speaks directly to your needs and desires.

I heard that the Paras were losing funding and their jump mission, that the Commandos were looking to disband most of the Air Ops/Parachute jobs. (Heard last year from a Royal Marine Commando during their visit to Chile). Good luck mate.

Sorry to bump a relatively old thread without adding much substance, but I'd just like to thank everyone who has tried to help me out on here, and as a quick update for anyone who might have got curious about how my training, etc. was going, and might start to notice inconsistencies with this thread in any of my future forum posts, feel free to give this a read:

So, life has happened...

I apologise in advance that's it's a pretty long and somewhat bleak post.

Thanks again for all the advice! :)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom