all posts post new thread

Barbell Critique this plan? (Loaded carries)

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

GeoffreyLevens

Level 6 Valued Member
I've never worked w/ barbells or dumbbells, always kettlebells (about 8 years) and before that just bodyweight and swimming/surfing. Just got a few hundred pounds of iron to start and along with, a couple loadable dumbbell handles. In figuring out how I wanted to start, Easy Strength of course came to top of list but I find I am becoming quite enamored with loaded carries. So I came up with the program below which I've now done for 2 days and would love any comments about holes, possible imbalances, unnecessary redundancies, etc. Goals are just general strength for daily living, ability to move my sofa or fridge if needed, ruck groceries home....

•Warm up is Scott Sonnen's IntuFlow with a few mods to my preference then
•10 TGU's at moderate weight, alternating sides with rest as needed
Then carries for time, all done fairly heavy:
•3 "Front carries" holding dumbbell by the sleeves in what amounts to biceps curl position, away from body
• 4 Unilateral, suitcase carries, alternating sides
•2 Farmer's carries

At present my idea is that when I can do the TGU's in 10 minutes, add weight.
When I can do all carries one minute each with rest between, then add weight.

Cardio component I use Nordic walking and some bicycling approximately Maffetone style or a bit "easier".

Seems solid to me, specially if you pick the dumbbells from the floor. I don't know IntuFlow but just make sure you have some squats thrown in your routine.

Is it a daily program?
One thing I would add is OH carry once or twice a week. You can replace one of the other carries these days. Or your entire session can just be the Cook drill for these days. There is something about balancing higher center of mass that exposes all imperfectiins.

Thank you Ian and Shahaf. Yes, this is pretty much daily routine.

I have something hinky in one shoulder so I can get away with moderate weight TGU's but any hint of arm rotation out of very narrow range or much wobble and shoulder lights up w/ nerve or bone pain that radiates down arm and hurts for days. So carries and presses I doubt I'll ever do. I figure the TGU's are what it is for overhead.

I do pick up from floor so a few light and a couple moderate deadlifts. Bodyweight is 115 lbs and today used 50 lbs for the unilateral stuff, 100 lbs split 50/50 for the Farmer's.

Only 25 lbs for the TGU's but tomorrow will go up to 30 or 35 lbs because, again as too damn frequent, I am working back from a painful setback with that shoulder. The last one was from completely unloaded experimenting w/ arm in overhead lock out and packing/extending shoulder and rotating. None of that hard, just testing ROM and went a bit too far. Probably could get it fixed w/ surgery but to me, surgery risks just far outweigh the downsides of living with it. I've had enough surgeries and bad outcomes to last me for the duration... unless it becomes truly incapacitating as in can't sleep, can't use that arm to brush teeth, chop vegetables, etc.

•3 "Front carries" holding dumbbell by the sleeves in what amounts to biceps curl position, away from body
I've named this The Butler Carry or The Jeeves. Just add more plates to tray...
Butler%20Carry_zpsrdkkxc8y.jpg

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom