all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Crossbow or compound

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I haven't read it yet but he was a giant of the sport, that's for sure!
A long time ago, one my dad's co-workers (they were ironworkers) finished 3rd in a world championship in archery. I believe it was in Hungary, but not sure. I worked one summer with them, and he told me how many hours he practiced a day. His upper body was pretty impressive, no compounds back then, all recurves. His name was Bud Dietzler(sp). One 4th of July, his archery club (the Hemlock Archers) took on the local police in a shooting contest, at various distances, maybe 10-20-30 yds. The police shot their service pistols, still all revolvers back then. The archers won. That's not the kind of thing, you'd see today at a park on the 4th.

A long time ago, one my dad's co-workers (they were ironworkers) finished 3rd in a world championship in archery. I believe it was in Hungary, but not sure. I worked one summer with them, and he told me how many hours he practiced a day. His upper body was pretty impressive, no compounds back then, all recurves. His name was Bud Dietzler(sp). One 4th of July, his archery club (the Hemlock Archers) took on the local police in a shooting contest, at various distances, maybe 10-20-30 yds. The police shot their service pistols, still all revolvers back then. The archers won. That's not the kind of thing, you'd see today at a park on the 4th.

Wow, what a great story!

One of the things I love about traditional archery, as opposed to crossbows (not really archery anyway) and compound bows is the inverse relationship of the simplicity of design to complexity of execution. On paper you just pull the string back and let her rip! But in reality you need a very consistent shot sequence in order to be effective, and therefore deadly, which was a requirement for our ancestors to survive. Additionally, what if something goes wrong with your rig? The compound bow is great. It allows for confidence when shooting long distances but if something goes wrong in the field, good luck fixing that kind of bow. Conversely there are very few things to fix on a tradbow: brace height and nocking point being the two biggies, and those are simple fixes in the field should the need arise.

Thanks again for that story!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom