all posts post new thread

Old Forum crossfit thrusters?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I've said enough. I've never been able to explain things well enough for this community. It is like when I told the group, quoting Brian Oldfield, "You can't think through a ballistic movement." Literally, with the balloon in the air with me saying that, someone asks "where do my elbows go?"

Between your wrists and shoulders.

Again, do as you wish, but I would say no...

@DJ - I hope that at some point I have the opportunity to train with you in person. Communication via this medium (devoid of visuals and demonstrations) is very limited.

Well, Dan, some of us are kinesthetic learners, and some need diagrams, pictures and really long descriptions of where their elbows go...

As for why would anyone do a thruster?  Heck if I know.

Dan

Sorry, guess I won't be doing those, which is good, I didn't like them.

But I thought they would let me add muscle, lose weight  and  drop my marathon time (sarc)

So refreshing to read a frank retraction & apology.  It would be hard not to get a couple of things wrong in a lifetime.  Dan the man, I'm a fan.

I'm reading Taleb's "Antifragile."  It's about the life strategy of being experience-based, not over-theorizing, even intentionally making small mistakes for the sake of learning.  I had to try out high-rep cleans & squats to figure out they weren't for me.  No blaming an internet article, and I learned something firsthand.

Dan, you are "Antifragile."

I think "Antifragile" is one of the best books I have read in the past year. I would include "The Art of Fielding," "The World's Strongest Librarian," "Skippy Dies," and a few others...simply Antifragile unpacks things I didn't know were packed.

"You can do anything you want, by the way, brave people have put their life on the line so that you can do what you will."

who are you referring to?

I really don't expect coaches to be all-knowing gurus, and I especially don't like system-defenders.  I just want them to know more than me, care, and have integrity.  I can just imagine an amnesty program where every coach gets to frankly admit what they got wrong.

Reading Taleb while thinking about training keeps reminding me of the best Dan John "life journey" articles.  To tell a kid "Find a good coach and do what he says" is a tautology.  The kid has to find out what "good" is, and jump right in to the process of discovery.  Most articles are of the first-order instructional variety, not the second-order "learn how to learn" variety.  Teach a man to fish.

I guarantee a few years from now there will be new tools, methods, exercises, that turn out not to be so new after all.  Some will be flops and others genuine advances.  No way to predict.  You have to have thrusters if you want goblet squats.

@Daniel Ashman.  I think Dan means that we live in a free country.  Wars were fought.  We really can train any way we damn well please.  As opposed to growing up in a communist sports factory machine.

Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.

Now if I could just get my elbows in the right place...

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom