all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Crossfit

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hello,

To add to @Nate here is the C. Marker's article:

Kind regards,

Pet'
Lot of truth on that article...I puked three times in two years due to heavy WOD's...what a mess...?

Lot of truth on that article

And A Piece of Misinformation

In scanning the ariticle, I noted this piece of misinformation...

"The first 1,000-pound squatter, Dr. Fred Hatfield..."

The source of this information is quoted in the references.

Hatfield

Hatfield was one of the best Powerlifters/Squatters and coaches in the game. I have many of his books and often quote him.

Hatfield was the Lightest Man (around 252 lb body weight) to Squat over 1.000 pounds, with an easy 1003 lb Squat...

However, Hatfield was not the first to Squat 1000 lbs.

The First To Squat 1000

Dave Waddington was the first to Squat 1000 lbs. Dave body weight was north or 300 lbs.

However, it wasn't a sanctioned meet.

Lee Moran The First To Squat 1000 In Competiton

Last edited:
And A Piece of Misinformation

In scanning the ariticle, I noted this piece of misinformation...

"The first 1,000-pound squatter, Dr. Fred Hatfield..."

The source of this information is quoted in the references.

Hatfield

Hatfield was one of the best Powerlifters/Squatters and coaches in the game. I have many of his books and often quote him.

Hatfield was the Lightest Man (around 252 lb body weight) to Squat over 1.000 pounds, with an easy 1003 lb Squat...

However, Hatfield was not the first to Squat 1000 lbs.

The First To Squat 1000

Dave Waddington was the first to Squat 1000 lbs. Dave body weight was north or 300 lbs.

You have a lot of time to loose online researching and digging ahahahahah

Message duly noted! thanks!

Hello,

Some WODs are relatively well rounded and could be done 'daily', such as Murph.
- 1 mile
- 100 pull ups
- 200 push ups
- 300 squats
- 1 mile

Nonetheless, it may be more interesting to do something like 10 weighted pull ups, 20 push ups (using for instance a weight vest or 10 OAP per side), 30 squats (for example 15 pistols per side)

This can be done aerobically and would work strength as well.

Or one could use the principle shown in this article : StrongFirst Roadwork | StrongFirst

An adaptation could even be a circuit :
X minutes run, Y moves, X minutes run, Z moves, etc...

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
Hello,

- 1 mile
- 100 pull ups
- 200 push ups
- 300 squats
- 1 mile

Nonetheless, it may be more interesting to do something like 10 weighted pull ups, 20 push ups (using for instance a weight vest or 10 OAP per side), 30 squats (for example 15 pistols per side)

Or one could use the principle shown in this article : StrongFirst Roadwork | StrongFirst

Kind regards,

Pet'
Murph normally are intended to be done with a 20 lb / 9 kg vest or body armor :) quite fun but don't do it daily! ahahahah

Hello @Eyetic

Yes it is fun ! I did it once with a backpack (as I do not have a weight vest) and it was pretty tough ! This is a nice benchmark

You are right, as such it is not to be done daily. I'll be more precise. IMHO, it it possible if you:
- Do not use the weight vest everyday (or even on a regular basis)
- Do the runs 'LSD' style (nasal breathing, Z1-Z2)
- Use strength moves such as OAP or HSPU for the push portion (so way less repetitions are performed)
- Pay attention to technique (running technique, move technique)
- Do not try to break PR every time

It may alter the WOD but it will provide a basic aerobic and strength base. 'My' version could almost be considered as a baby Murph eheh!

My current routine revolves around something similar. I do the strength portion as a circuit at the beginning, using HSPU, OAP/OAOLPU, levers (FL/BL) and pistols. Then I go out and do a 5k trail (which is about 35minutes and 200m+ elevation) using only nasal breathing.

But again, I totally agree. At some point, one has to change the routine to keep progressing.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

- 1 mile
- 100 pull ups
- 200 push ups
- 300 squats
- 1 mile

Kind regards,

Pet'
I brought a Powerlifter friend to my CrossFit once for Memorial Day Murph and he was confused seeing everyone doing kipping pull-ups. He’s never heard of them or seen them and was doing them strict. It was pretty funny. “It says pull-up not swing up”

I brought a Powerlifter friend to my CrossFit once for Memorial Day Murph and he was confused seeing everyone doing kipping pull-ups. He’s never heard of them or seen them and was doing them strict. It was pretty funny. “It says pull-up not swing up”
Same could be said about a jerk. Why use the whole body instead of a strict press? Different variations....

Hello,

If we consider that one of the characteristics of CF is high variety from day to day or week to week to target the whole body (and possibly different energy systems if we do long WODs), then this article may be interesting :

It seems like 'Victor' maintains extremely high level of fitness with high variety, but without a lot of intensity.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Same could be said about a jerk. Why use the whole body instead of a strict press? Different variations....
A jerk and a press are different and have different names. That's the point. Everyone who knows CF knows that unless preceded by 'strict', kipping is a given, but the general public does not and if a WoD says "pull-ups" (or chins, etc) without reference to kipping... I mean, why? If I program the press into a workout, I expect presses, not jerks to be done.

All of this is not really related to the OP's question I guess. To reiterate - NO, it's not a problem to do a given exercise two or more days in a row. However, that doesn't mean bad programming is okay. CF or not, be careful of overuse injuries and understand the basics of planning your training.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom