all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Crushed to Dust Challenge

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I will at some point.
Had the needed equipment on my wishlist for christmas, but Santa had different plans for me :)
I bought a barbell + weights in January, so I haven't got any money for now and the things can get expensive, because you have to import them from the US. To get it to Germany I have to pay 150+€ just for shipping and taxes...(excluding the costs for the actual tools).
Must be around the same for you in the Netherlands.
You can get similar things from other manufacturers in Europe or go with DIY stuff, but I figured if I want to properly certify I better train with the equipment you have to use.
So for now I just follow the beginner routine from GripBoard with some added gripper and fat gripz work.
GripBoard is also probably the best source if you want info on how to train for the CTD.

I will at some point.
Had the needed equipment on my wishlist for christmas, but Santa had different plans for me :)
I bought a barbell + weights in January, so I haven't got any money for now and the things can get expensive, because you have to import them from the US. To get it to Germany I have to pay 150+€ just for shipping and taxes...(excluding the costs for the actual tools).
Must be around the same for you in the Netherlands.
You can get similar things from other manufacturers in Europe or go with DIY stuff, but I figured if I want to properly certify I better train with the equipment you have to use.
So for now I just follow the beginner routine from GripBoard with some added gripper and fat gripz work.
GripBoard is also probably the best source if you want info on how to train for the CTD.

thanks for the recommendation to visit Grip Board!

and I actually live in the states, despite my name, which I don't even know how to pronounce

so Ironmind gear is reasonably priced for me! thank goodness

Crushed-to-Dust!® Challenge - Rules for Certification

I would be interested to know if anyone here has done this, or is currently training for this.

Thanks
Yes, I completed (and certified) on it, along with the Red Nail (could never CCS the #3). I had the opportunity to get training tips from Mr. Snook in regards to the RT, which helped significantly as imo, it's the hardest of the three. I would highly recommend purchasing the RT if you're serious, or look into FBBC-
Fat Bastard Barbell Company as they have some great equipment and cert levels for steel bending, etc. Let me know if you have any questions. 200lbs on the RT is no joke! Have you ever attempted the lift?

Yes, I completed (and certified) on it, along with the Red Nail (could never CCS the #3). I had the opportunity to get training tips from Mr. Snook in regards to the RT, which helped significantly as imo, it's the hardest of the three. I would highly recommend purchasing the RT if you're serious, or look into FBBC-
Fat Bastard Barbell Company as they have some great equipment and cert levels for steel bending, etc. Let me know if you have any questions. 200lbs on the RT is no joke! Have you ever attempted the lift?

hello,

wow that is very impressive! 200 pounds is seriously no joke on this thing.

and to answer your question, I just got a rolling thunder, which sparked my interest in the challenge

pulled 107.5 today (all the weight I have) on the rolling thunder, left hand single and a right hand single

i would love to hear how you trained to get up to 200 on this beast.

hello,

wow that is very impressive! 200 pounds is seriously no joke on this thing.

and to answer your question, I just got a rolling thunder, which sparked my interest in the challenge

pulled 107.5 today (all the weight I have) on the rolling thunder, left hand single and a right hand single

i would love to hear how you trained to get up to 200 on this beast.
3 sets of 10, which I was hesitant on, but really did wonders for singles. I worked around 60-75% of my max at the time, 2-3 days a week for 6 weeks, took 3 days off, and then pulled singles for the next week, and repeated the 6 week training again of 3x10. I also mixed in some extensor work, additional thumb work (blobs, pinch training, TTK). It’s a humbling lift for sure, but one that’s fun and rewarding! Best of luck and let me know if you have any additional questions.

3 sets of 10, which I was hesitant on, but really did wonders for singles. I worked around 60-75% of my max at the time, 2-3 days a week for 6 weeks, took 3 days off, and then pulled singles for the next week, and repeated the 6 week training again of 3x10. I also mixed in some extensor work, additional thumb work (blobs, pinch training, TTK). It’s a humbling lift for sure, but one that’s fun and rewarding! Best of luck and let me know if you have any additional questions.

I've actually heard of this program before, the 3x10 each arm. It's a protocol from Snook, no?

from Jonathan in the iron mind forum,

"Yep Laine shared advice on RT training with me just recently via PM, I would share the PM itself but I think that would be in bad taste. I can however share the advice Laine gave me in regards on how to approach my rolling thunder training as I understood it from his message.

Take your Max lift in the Rolling Thunder, lets say that it is an even 200lbs for easy math sake. You take 65% to 75% of that Max, 130 or 150lbs (depending on what percentage you choose) and you train 3x a week, that is three workouts per week, of high repetition sets to really work the muscles as Mr. Snook put it.

Laine suggested I go about 3x10 with each hand, and after my Rolling Thunder training, to use the Titans Telegraph Key for a similar rep scheme. He said that the most important part of the Rolling Thunder is the Thumb and from my own experience, not cocking the wrist at all and having the hand directly over the bar helps in the lift as there is not much need for the implement to roll at all."

He suggested I try this for a few weeks and try a new one rep max, then repeat for 6 weeks with the percentages of my new 1rm if it raises.

Again I may not have fully understood the last bit on when to test your one rep max or how often to add weight but that was the basic premise of his message. High reps, often, don't cock your wrist, work the muscles involved, and focus on the thumb. Training like this I can see giving legitimate numbers.
"

To add, it is a very fun and unique lift. Demands a very unique grip style.

It is a shorter range deadlift with only one arm. You can not go near your DL max because of both the single arm and the grip challenege, yet somehow it still works the whole body.

very "neural" lift as well

I've actually heard of this program before, the 3x10 each arm. It's a protocol from Snook, no?

from Jonathan in the iron mind forum,

"Yep Laine shared advice on RT training with me just recently via PM, I would share the PM itself but I think that would be in bad taste. I can however share the advice Laine gave me in regards on how to approach my rolling thunder training as I understood it from his message.

Take your Max lift in the Rolling Thunder, lets say that it is an even 200lbs for easy math sake. You take 65% to 75% of that Max, 130 or 150lbs (depending on what percentage you choose) and you train 3x a week, that is three workouts per week, of high repetition sets to really work the muscles as Mr. Snook put it.

Laine suggested I go about 3x10 with each hand, and after my Rolling Thunder training, to use the Titans Telegraph Key for a similar rep scheme. He said that the most important part of the Rolling Thunder is the Thumb and from my own experience, not cocking the wrist at all and having the hand directly over the bar helps in the lift as there is not much need for the implement to roll at all."

He suggested I try this for a few weeks and try a new one rep max, then repeat for 6 weeks with the percentages of my new 1rm if it raises.

Again I may not have fully understood the last bit on when to test your one rep max or how often to add weight but that was the basic premise of his message. High reps, often, don't cock your wrist, work the muscles involved, and focus on the thumb. Training like this I can see giving legitimate numbers.
"

To add, it is a very fun and unique lift. Demands a very unique grip style.

It is a shorter range deadlift with only one arm. You can not go near your DL max because of both the single arm and the grip challenege, yet somehow it still works the whole body.

very "neural" lift as well

That’s it! Johnathon is a cool dude, he used to run “Benders Battlefield” back in 2009-2011. I reached out to Lane around 2011 to pick his brain in regards to the RT, and he sent me his workouts (which he nicely posted on IM). I personally enjoyed steel bending a lot more. There’s nothing like a piece of steel melting in your hands! Haha

@Peck'88 and @Geoff Chafe I could have guessed this thread would attract you two ;)

I pulled 70lb on the rolling thunder today (roughly 70% of my max),

for 3x10 reps each hand, pretty slow reps too

hands, wrist, and forearms definitely felt it. the deads themselves were pretty easy aside from the grip aspect

do you think there is any possibility that one could use a Justa Singles Routine for the rolling thunder with any success (reaching 185-200)?

Laine Snook says do the 3 x 10 for however many weeks. Try it for yourself.

I personally did 3-5 x 3-5 maybe a few heavy singles after my main lifting.

On a stand alone grip workout I would do a few sets of a few reps of each hand function, maybe a wrist exercise, and maybe an exercise that crosses the elbow joint.

I made my own versions of Rolling Thunders, first and second generation, and FBBC Crushers. I have never used the original grip tools but mine are as good quality.

Specific variety in the form of DOH Axel, Thick Dumbells, V Bar, and Wrist Wrench all help. Thumb specific training will be a huge help as when the RT gets heavy the thumb works hard as a break to arrest the rotation.

A Singles approach? It could work, but to be clear, without large hands, and natural grip strength from life or work it could take a long time, a couple to a few years, to hit a 200lb RT.

Jedd Johnson and others say if you can lift a 200lb RT you should be able to lift the Inch which is the ultimate goal. The RT is primarily an Inch training tool.

Last edited:
Laine Snook says do the 3 x 10 for however many weeks. Try it for yourself.

I personally did 3-5 x 3-5 maybe a few heavy singles after my main lifting.

On a stand alone grip workout I would do a few sets of a few reps of each hand function, maybe a wrist exercise, and maybe an exercise that crosses the elbow joint.

I made my own versions of Rolling Thunders, first and second generation, and FBBC Crushers. I have never used the original grip tools but mine are as good quality.

Specific variety in the form of DOH Axel, Thick Dumbells, V Bar, and Wrist Wrench all help. Thumb specific training will be a huge help as when the RT gets heavy the thumb works hard as a break to arrest the rotation.

A Singles approach? It could work, but to be clear, without large hands, and natural grip strength from life or work it could take a long time, a couple to a few years, to hit a 200lb RT.

Jedd Johnson and others say if you can lift a 200lb RT you should be able to lift the Inch which is the ultimate goal. The RT is primarily an training tool.

Honestly, 2-3 years to a 200 on this thing sounds like a healthy timeline to me, getting stronger and stronger from it in the mean time.

Great little tool.

I wonder how much of the challenge is the Rolling Thunder, and how much the RT will cross over to the hub and #2 crusher.

Honestly, 2-3 years to a 200 on this thing sounds like a healthy timeline to me, getting stronger and stronger from it in the mean time.

Great little tool.

I wonder how much of the challenge is the Rolling Thunder, and how much the RT will cross over to the hub and #2 crusher.
RT will cross over to the hub well, not as much for the #2. The hub is an EASY lift for me, so I never trained it much. You'll be pretty burned out on grip if you pull the RT 3x10, 3 days a week for those 6 weeks, and you'll be sore, but it's worth it mate! Hand size plays a huge part in the RT (as does a CCS close on a #3), just ask Mark Felix :cool:

rather interesting video showing how multiple lifters cue up and then lift the RT

Alexey wins of course

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom