all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Cues for Pull ups

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@bill calhoun

1) Pullups love variety
2) Measure your new RM, and post it
3) Yes, especially tactical pullups and later weighted pullups

Thanks Pavel. My starter was 8 (strict ones). I started at that Day, as you mentioned. Been doing for a week now.
I've got another question but its about TNW so, I'll post it there.

Thanks......your works ROCK!

You are welcomed, Bill.

Just to make sure, I am not the Pavel (Tsatsouline) - I am just a humble student of Pavel. His works rock, agreed.

1. Should I have been switching grips or sticking with pronated (palms facing out) grip?
Varying the grip is usually good for most people; it helps prevent overuse injuries, although it's no guarantee, of course.

2. Once I get to Day 30 which progression program should I gravitate towards?
That depends on what you accomplish in your 30 days and what you wish to accomplish next. All other things being equal, if your focus is still pullups, try switching to a program of lower volume that focuses on increasing your 1RM.

3. Will this help with future Lever work?
It certainly won't hurt, but the ab requirements for a lever are, IMHO, much tougher than for a pullup, so I don't think you'll find yourself particularly close to a full lever after improving your pullup strength, but you might be at a good place to start lever progressions work directly.

-S-

Okay, Steve, so although I tested my 1RM with pronated pulls I can still switch-it-up and should still see an increase in my 1RM in about 3-4 weeks?
Thanks for the heads-up on the Lever. Good point. And I'll go after the weighted pull-up ladder after this or I'll just work on the lever skills and conditioning stuff.
Sooooooo much to WANT to do and soooooooo little time.

Okay, Steve, so although I tested my 1RM with pronated pulls I can still switch-it-up and should still see an increase in my 1RM in about 3-4 weeks?
Maybe yes, maybe no - some people's 1RM goes up when their endurance goes up, others don't find that and their 1RM might even go down.

As to switching the grip, you kind of have to go by feel here. If doing all pullup grip works for you, then fine, since that's what you're training to improve, stick with it. I, and many others, find it very easy to overdo pullups, so switching the grip is easy to integrate into a training program, e.g., for me, when working on 1RM pullups, I will often alternate sets of over- and under-hand grip - I still get plenty of pullup grip practice. Another approach I've used is that, as fatigue sets in, rather than reducing weight and/or volume, I switch to a chinup grip since I'm stronger that way. But again here, this is highly personal, e.g., some people are equally strong with both grips, some (although not many) are stronger with a pullup grip than with a chinup grip. And some people find the chinup grip bothers their shoulders; other people find it the other way.

So, no one, simple answer, sorry. :)

-S-

Yeah, I totally see what you're saying. Chins hurt my shoulders. Wides are painful too. Oddly, my pulls have become smoother since I started the ladders. I just want to get strong enough to breeze through typewriters and get some crazy urban-type-strength stuff going on, with the bar. I'll keep everyone posted here.

While I'm here, another question.
Am I doing this right? The "5RM Russian Pull-Up Program", I'm doing one set...waiting for about 3-5 minutes...doing another set...waiting another 3-5 minutes and so on until I finish the 5-sets. Or am I suppose to space the sets out throughout the day (say, 1-set...wait 2-hours...set 2...wait 2-hours, and on until 5-sets are complete)?

Using weighted belt while doing typewriters? Is that what you mean?
No, no, and no. Bodyweight only is enough on that move which, as I said, I don't care for, for most people.

m I doing this right? The "5RM Russian Pull-Up Program", I'm doing one set...waiting for about 3-5 minutes...doing another set...waiting another 3-5 minutes and so on until I finish the 5-sets. Or am I suppose to space the sets out throughout the day (say, 1-set...wait 2-hours...set 2...wait 2-hours, and on until 5-sets are complete)?
Do it as you've been.

-S-

Thanks Steve, for the clarification. Visions of shoulders dislocated and drooping down near my hips dance in my head.
Cool. I'll continue with the mixed-grip pull-ups with that rep-set-divide.

Crap, crap...CRAP!
I was doing fine with "The 5RM Russian Pull-Up Program". Wound up on Day 21 and suddenly hit a wall. Couldn't even do 4 reps on the first set without approaching failure. WTF!

I took a day off but still quite sub-par. Not as bad as the 4-rep day but progress seems to have stalled. Help?

Is there a better ladder to use.

I'd switch programs - it's OK that you used up this one in 21 days instead of 30 - take a few days off, do something else for a while, try the FPP again in six months. It is an intense program.

Note this from the article

If you run into a snag with this routine, back off a week and build up again. If you hit the wall again switch to another routine.
So taking a day off won't do the job.

The full article here

The Fighter Pullup Program Revisited on - StrongFirst.com

-S-

Hey Steve, when I want to start smoking on practicing the Front Levers and one arm pull-ups how long would I wait (how many maximum pull-ups under my belt) to start doing those?

Hey Steve, when I want to start smoking on practicing the Front Levers and one arm pull-ups how long would I wait (how many maximum pull-ups under my belt) to start doing those?
I don't recommend you go by reps at bodyweight to determine if you're ready for one-arm work - go by 1RM instead. If by reps, I'd say 25; if by 1RM, I'd say 2/3 bodyweight on a belt.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom