all posts post new thread

Old Forum Cues to keep bottom shoulder packed in getup

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jeff

Level 5 Valued Member
During the roll to elbow I tend to shrug my bottom shoulder, which causes considerable irritation. What are some cues to help me keep my bottom shoulder packed during the roll to elbow?

Jeffrey,

A good drill for this, is to hold a heavy kettlebell in the down hand and practice this move unweighted. Pull hard on the handle during the roll, the resistance should help you feel the muscles you're targeting and keep them engaged.

Another thing about rowing in general, is that peoples shoulders tip forward many times due to incorrect muscle recruitment patterns. (I only mention this because it is very common).

It really helps to develop the correct pattern, in which the scapula stays depressed and the lat engaged. This gives you a stable base to row from, and should carry over into your getup.

Anyway, the heavy kettlebell should help you link up naturally, eventually you won't need it, but how the move feels with that shoulder packed should stay with you.

I don't want to go into to much detail about any one thing as much of this may be familiar to you. In any case I would be happy to explain anything that I left unclear.

Good luck!

Jon,

So you lay the kettlebell on it's side with the handle facing you? Will your hand be a few inches (the radius of the kettlebell) as you grab it?

Thanks.

"So you lay the kettlebell on it’s side with the handle facing you?"
Exactly, the handle can be in a variety of positions. Flat is probably the easiest to set up, but really at about a 45 degree angle gives the best lay engagement. (45 degrees toward your body)

"Will your hand be a few inches (the radius of the kettlebell) as you grab it?"
I'm guessing you are asking if the hand will be in the air a few inches, the answer to that is not the radius of the bell, but the handle keeps you from you hand being flat. Most of your forearm will be on the ground though.

If, you were asking about positioning in relation to your body,if you lay in starfish on the ground (flat on your back, arms around or less than 45 degrees from your body, legs matching your arm angles). The kettlebell handle should be in the down arms hand in this position.

"a 45 degree angle gives the best lay engagement"
That should say Lat engagement... Auto correct strikes again!

Does performing farmers walks with shoulders back and down also help establish the proper lat engagement and scapula retraction?

Jeffrey, best to fix this in the context in which it's a problem. As long as you know what a packed shoulder is and feels like, work on it as Jon has suggested. If this helps, then work on gradually lowering the weight of the kettlebell on the ground.

You may also try visualizing pushing the down side elbow into the ground. You may bend your elbow if you wish for this.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom