all posts post new thread

Cultivating Discipline -- Marcus Aurelius

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Good plan. I'm a fan of the trifecta as well, feel like it's been good for my posture.

I think getting in that movement at lunch is a big key, interrupt all the sitting. I always feel better when I get something in midday, but seem to have a hard time doing so consistently.

Welcome to the ranks of sedentary zombies. I'll be interested to hear what changes you notice, and how you adapt. Getting free of the desk is certainly something I've struggled with.
I haven't been as consistent with the walking before work or the trifecta before bed.

I have noticed so far though that my lower back, wrists and calves are a little tighter than usual.

Lower back & calves, classic sitting still stuff. Assuming that the wrist feeling is coming from a lot of typing, getting the keyboard low to keep the wrists neutral has worked well for me.

CUergo: Neutral Posture Typing

Clearly, we need a StrongFirst theory on how to work at a desk.

Lower back & calves, classic sitting still stuff. Assuming that the wrist feeling is coming from a lot of typing, getting the keyboard low to keep the wrists neutral has worked well for me.

CUergo: Neutral Posture Typing

Clearly, we need a StrongFirst theory on how to work at a desk.
That's a cool link. The funny thing about having a sedentary job though is that I look forward to exercise more. Before I would bust my butt at physical labor and come home a little fatigued and not especially enthusiastic.

Alright everybody. So, I've been thinking for quite a few years on enlisting in the United States military. Pretty much ever since I was 18. I'm feeling ready to sign on and approach a recruiter. I just have a few questions :

1 . Is 24 too old?
2 . Is there a StrongFirst prep for military basic training?

3. Any words of advice?

Thank you.

1. Definitely not too old - I went into the Marines at 24 and ended up staying for 10 years. In some ways it helps as your brain is presumably a bit more fully formed and consequently you should be a little less vulnerable to the mind games.
2. Check some of Al C's stuff. But I think s&s plus some pull-ups, chins, runs and rucks gets you 90% there. Don't overdo it and show up burnt out - that's key. Not sure where you're headed but at the first few weeks are a stress test and you don't want to show up mentally or physically tired. IMO opinion better to be slightly undertrained than overcooked.
3. I think most important - you have to be 100% sure you want this. Uncertainty tends to be lethal. Talk to some vets and be sure you're doing it for the right reasons. It's a pretty crazy commitment and training staff will be right up in your grill looking for even the slightest sign of doubt or weakness.
3b. If you are a fan of Marcus I think you'll find the stoic philosophy quite helpful. Some sort of mental anchor is important as your emotions are going to be all over the place during boot camp / ocs. If your at least quasi-fit and mentally centered you'll be well on your way.

Best of luck to you with whatever you decide.

1. Definitely not too old - I went into the Marines at 24 and ended up staying for 10 years. In some ways it helps as your brain is presumably a bit more fully formed and consequently you should be a little less vulnerable to the mind games.
2. Check some of Al C's stuff. But I think s&s plus some pull-ups, chins, runs and rucks gets you 90% there. Don't overdo it and show up burnt out - that's key. Not sure where you're headed but at the first few weeks are a stress test and you don't want to show up mentally or physically tired. IMO opinion better to be slightly undertrained than overcooked.
3. I think most important - you have to be 100% sure you want this. Uncertainty tends to be lethal. Talk to some vets and be sure you're doing it for the right reasons. It's a pretty crazy commitment and training staff will be right up in your grill looking for even the slightest sign of doubt or weakness.
3b. If you are a fan of Marcus I think you'll find the stoic philosophy quite helpful. Some sort of mental anchor is important as your emotions are going to be all over the place during boot camp / ocs. If your at least quasi-fit and mentally centered you'll be well on your way.

Thank you. I just shot Al an email asking for some guidance and recommendations. The issue of doubt is something I struggle with. It's just a huge decision. One that I'm confident I want but am still a little hesitant or nervous. I wonder if the rite of passage would work, which is what I'm running now and throwing in some gtg pushups and running on variety days.

Last edited:

Very well said....

Heavy Day

5(1,2,3) 20kg C&P SSw/ 5(1,2,3) Chin Up

4 minute 20kg Swings -- Hard Effort

** I go for my ASVAB tomorrow. But I do have a question to ask everyone. I previously got laser eye surgery that didn't work but I can see fine now with glasses. It MIGHT cause me to be denied from the military or make it very difficult to join. So can everyone please pray or just keep me in your thoughts because this is a dream of mine. I would really appreciate it.**

Last edited:
As a blind mole myself, I wish you all the best. Will pray (not for your passing, but that god/fate will point you in the right direction, be it army or not).

Well everything went well with my ASVAB. I scored a 75 which means I did better than 75% of people who took the test. I'm open to do all jobs in the Army and am eligible for bonuses. The only thing left now is for me to get a waiver for my eyes. But anywho here's my plan until I "hopefully" ship out to basic. I'm also doing allot more stretching, especially my calves and practicing some MEPS drills :
  • Monday
    • APFT
  • Tuesday
    • Heavy Day
  • Wednesday
    • APFT
  • Thursday
    • Light Day
  • Friday
    • APFT
  • Saturday
    • APFT
  • Sunday
    • Medium Day

Last edited:
I'm dropping the weights in favor of some varying runs, calisthenics everyday and a light ruck at the end of the week.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom