all posts post new thread

Off-Topic Cultures of Strength

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

JeffC

Level 7 Valued Member
Two strength culture documentaries from Rogue.

Odd object lifting has been an essential part of my training for a few years. For me it builds strength and power in ways gym weights cannot, and helps me express that strength I build in the gym. In my limited training time I have been going more for odd objects, and using kettlebells mainly for efficient warmups of goblet squats, get ups, bottoms up presses, carries, and swings.

It's good to see people still carry on old traditions of strength. Strength is not valued in the majority of modern fitness culture, as much as aesthetics. StrongFirst.

@Geoff Chafe , thanks for posting these!

I competed in the Scottish Highland Games for a short time. I wasn't very good, but I had the honor of flipping a caber while my kids and family watched. That was quite an experience! I still have the kilt too.

And those Basque Stonelifters....wow! I've always admired them.

Yeah awesome stuff. I wanted to compete in the Novice Class at the Calgary Highland Games this year. Your first time competing is an open class of novices. Life happened, and my training got derailed, and I did not compete, but I want to next year.

Highland Games looks tough, but fun. I like that kind. A stone tour of Scotland is a dream of mine, someday, better be prepared though.

There is an awesome stone lifting culture in India also.

In Iceland when a fisherman went to the dock for a berth on a fishing vessel there would be three stones of increasing weight which your ability to lift them would dictate your job and pay grade. If work were like that we would all take better care of ourselves.

Makes me feel like a big $%&* for lifting a barbell and like I need to grow some stones :p. It's interesting watching their training though. It almost looks like they walk up to 70-90% and take turns lifting it throughout the day while drinking some single malt. Strong culture requires a homeostasis of strength, not 3x per week for 45min. I see another trend too; Voldka and Whiskey = strength. No strongmen/women drinking wine.

Makes me feel like a big $%&* for lifting a barbell and like I need to grow some stones :p. It's interesting watching their training though. It almost looks like they walk up to 70-90% and take turns lifting it throughout the day while drinking some single malt. Strong culture requires a homeostasis of strength, not 3x per week for 45min. I see another trend too; Voldka and Whiskey = strength. No strongmen/women drinking wine.

I bet Basques drink wine.

I would also add beer to the vodka and whiskey.

Hello,

Thanks for the videos !

In France, Basques drink wine, cognac and armagnac (strong alcohols, more or less the same alcohol amount than whiskey).

I enjoy this type of "real strength". I do not mean gym is not strength ! I mean that moving heavy stuff with irregular forms (contrary to a standard bar for example) is more or less the situation we are likely to have in our daily lives. To some extents, kettlebell helps.

Kind regards,

Pet'

@ClaudeR That is a great video. Vice and their related channels have great content. They cover a wide variety of topics.

The Icelanders fascinate me. For such a small island nation they have a huge strength culture. John Paul was an amazing strength athlete, but his anabolic use was a huge contributor to his early death, and like him, Mike Jenkins a few years ago. There is a price to be paid by being among the strongest men in history. Hopefully Haftnor has a long career and life. He is still young, in strongman terms, and he has progressed so fast. I think he will go down in history as one of the greatest strength athletes.

Two strength culture documentaries from Rogue.

Odd object lifting has been an essential part of my training for a few years. For me it builds strength and power in ways gym weights cannot, and helps me express that strength I build in the gym. In my limited training time I have been going more for odd objects, and using kettlebells mainly for efficient warmups of goblet squats, get ups, bottoms up presses, carries, and swings.

It's good to see people still carry on old traditions of strength. Strength is not valued in the majority of modern fitness culture, as much as aesthetics. StrongFirst.

video so great. thank you!

free movies online

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom