all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed cure for flat feet?!

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Abishai

Level 5 Valued Member
I have genetic flat feet.Like really flat.
To quote my orthopedist " I have never seen feet this flat ".
Flat feet and weak hamstrings have made running hell for me with a non stop
string of injuries.
For the past 6 years if I ran anything more then 50 feet my entire shin would explode in pain.
at the the advice of this forum i started doing PTTP with RDLs to correct my hamstring inbalance.
In theory this would help alot but I felt my flat feet were somehow also messing with my running.
I started also doing Toe pointing drills.
I would point my toes "ballet"esqe until i felt the arch of my foot cramp. I then hold the pose for an additional 7 seconds.
I know this sound like snakeoil but within 3 days I had a vague but distinct arch shape in my foot for the first time in my life!!!!
I know already am up to running 3 miles at 10 min per mile pace.
Now this is not blazing fast by any means (to be fair I'm only running for 4 weeks so far) but this is the first time I am running with zero pain
in my life!
My gait is much less bouncy,my feet pronate less and I feel my butt quite strong (;)) in every stride.
Thanks to all that recc the PTTP with RDLs!!!

is fixing flat feet as simple as toe pointing/flexing your arch?

Can't say this works for everyone, but growing up I was told doing a bunch of (unweighted/bodyweight) single leg calf raises would fix flat feet. It fixed mine and its fixed a couple other folks I know.

But there are also different types of flat feet from my limited understanding - there are flat feet due to an arch collapse, and there are flat feet that are due to the structure of the bones. I don't think anything fixes the latter, but I'm not a foot guy.

Congrats on the progress, I love running and I know what it is like to not be able to run without pain and then be able to run again without pain.

I have genetic flat feet.Like really flat.
To quote my orthopedist " I have never seen feet this flat ".
Flat feet and weak hamstrings have made running hell for me with a non stop
string of injuries.
For the past 6 years if I ran anything more then 50 feet my entire shin would explode in pain.
at the the advice of this forum i started doing PTTP with RDLs to correct my hamstring inbalance.
In theory this would help alot but I felt my flat feet were somehow also messing with my running.
I started also doing Toe pointing drills.
I would point my toes "ballet"esqe until i felt the arch of my foot cramp. I then hold the pose for an additional 7 seconds.
I know this sound like snakeoil but within 3 days I had a vague but distinct arch shape in my foot for the first time in my life!!!!
I know already am up to running 3 miles at 10 min per mile pace.
Now this is not blazing fast by any means (to be fair I'm only running for 4 weeks so far) but this is the first time I am running with zero pain
in my life!
My gait is much less bouncy,my feet pronate less and I feel my butt quite strong (;)) in every stride.
Thanks to all that recc the PTTP with RDLs!!!

Glad your n=1 experiment worked I can't say it will have the same amount of success with others but the lessons here are valuable for you and that's quite a bottom line

I was diagnosed with “fallen arches” in my 20s and they put me in orthotics. That did help with the discomfort but never fixed the problem and I became dependent on orthotics.

Looking back, I think I just had some weak hip muscles - glutes and maybe adductors. I think some physical therapy or a good coach was all I needed. Unfortunately, those things just weren’t as well understood 30 years ago and I didn’t have the resources or a clue to get second or third opinions.

Good Feet Store. Go get some arches. If you wear them through the workday it will make your feet better. But then you can take them off the exercise.

You may find this useful:
There is quite deep analysis of flat feet and related problems. Just take your time to read it all, it's quite long and dense text. It's worth the effort.

Can't say this works for everyone, but growing up I was told doing a bunch of (unweighted/bodyweight) single leg calf raises would fix flat feet. It fixed mine and its fixed a couple other folks I know.

But there are also different types of flat feet from my limited understanding - there are flat feet due to an arch collapse, and there are flat feet that are due to the structure of the bones. I don't think anything fixes the latter, but I'm not a foot guy.

Congrats on the progress, I love running and I know what it is like to not be able to run without pain and then be able to run again without pain.
To my understanding the arch is a muscle. Your bone structure will prevent normal activities (like walking ect) from activating it.
I actually tried the calf raise thing and it didnt do anything.
It seems like to me that it isnt about the excersize per se....its about activating the arch
As a side, my arch was not just a collapsed arch.....even when my foot was airborne there was zero visible arch.....

Not sure about a cure for flat footedness but there is a cure for weak feet....strengthen them. As you are doing, toe pointing ballet style is good, toe curls and ankle strength and mobility etc.
There is a difference: weak flat feet and strong flat feet.
Fellow flat footer paddle footed human here too.
What are normal 'arches'? No idea but with all anatomical differences...height, arm length, hip structure, spinal curvature etc.....normal is defined by gaussian distribution, a bell curve.
If an outlier....flat footer or roller coaster arches....then there are advantages/disadvantages. A major one is pain and discomfort, obviously and you are addressing that. Thing is, are your feet flat because of structure or because of atrophy or weakness causing collapsed arches?
That is, if you have strong foot musculature to suit your structure or weak musculature not holding your structure?

I've read somewhere a study
of sprint mechanics where elite sprinters tend towards flat footedness. Here then, not normal is an asset for that movement.
So, the answer, a possibility is to strengthen your feet. Flat feet or otherwise.
My bias here comes from a barefoot running bias and a sprinter. With due care and attention barefoot activity strengthens the function of the foot....but focused foot strength is a starting point for sure.
Many things contribute...a little drill.....
Press big toe into the ground and lift the other 4 off without curling your foot over to help. Keep rooted. Then opposite....lift big toe off and press the 4 remaining into the ground.
Eventually speed it up. One foot at a time. Then both. Then right toe down, left toe up.
Walk about the house in a variety of ways....or use as active rest.....tip toes, on heels, outside of foot, insides. Feet turned out, feet turned in. All that backwards too . 20 or so steps and build it up.
You can do this without really adding time to your training and doesn't get in the way.

Not sure about a cure for flat footedness but there is a cure for weak feet....strengthen them. As you are doing, toe pointing ballet style is good, toe curls and ankle strength and mobility etc.
There is a difference: weak flat feet and strong flat feet.
Fellow flat footer paddle footed human here too.
What are normal 'arches'? No idea but with all anatomical differences...height, arm length, hip structure, spinal curvature etc.....normal is defined by gaussian distribution, a bell curve.
If an outlier....flat footer or roller coaster arches....then there are advantages/disadvantages. A major one is pain and discomfort, obviously and you are addressing that. Thing is, are your feet flat because of structure or because of atrophy or weakness causing collapsed arches?
That is, if you have strong foot musculature to suit your structure or weak musculature not holding your structure?

I've read somewhere a study
of sprint mechanics where elite sprinters tend towards flat footedness. Here then, not normal is an asset for that movement.
So, the answer, a possibility is to strengthen your feet. Flat feet or otherwise.
My bias here comes from a barefoot running bias and a sprinter. With due care and attention barefoot activity strengthens the function of the foot....but focused foot strength is a starting point for sure.
Many things contribute...a little drill.....
Press big toe into the ground and lift the other 4 off without curling your foot over to help. Keep rooted. Then opposite....lift big toe off and press the 4 remaining into the ground.
Eventually speed it up. One foot at a time. Then both. Then right toe down, left toe up.
Walk about the house in a variety of ways....or use as active rest.....tip toes, on heels, outside of foot, insides. Feet turned out, feet turned in. All that backwards too . 20 or so steps and build it up.
You can do this without really adding time to your training and doesn't get in the way.
very good points.
I did notice that my pronationhas gone down since doing this, but, like you said , that isnt for sure because of the arch....it might be because of overall strenthening...
I will try those drills.
Thanks

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom