all posts post new thread

Barbell custom work out plan

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

marcelotine

Level 4 Valued Member
I would like your input on creating a custom work out plan. I had some success with Faleev's 80/20 until some life issues came up and the p organ was disrupted. I'm currently traveling, but I would like to get back to the program when I return. However, I will also be returning to grappling and may need to make some adjustments. Right now it looks like my grappling schedule may look something like this:
Tuesday evening
Wednesday morning
Thursday evening
Saturday or Sunday (no fixed time - whenever training partner is available).

This leaves me with 3 (possibly 4) consecutive days for strength training. I'm thinking I'm going to drop the light squat and light bench days from program and do the following:

Fri - SQ
Sat or Sun - BP
Mon - DL

I would love to your feedback - please advise if I can improve on this. I'm looking for simple and efficient....

The weekly schedule would look like this:
Fri - SQ
Sat - BP (or BJJ)
Sun - BJJ (or BP)
Mon - DL
Tue - BJJ
Wed - BJJ
Thu - BJJ

Also any advice on caloric intake and diet would be appreciated. I would like to build some muscle but wihtout gaining extra baggage..
I'm shy of 5.9 and currently weigh about 167 lbs.

Just do two days and combine bench with squat, then bench with deadlift. Eat more protein!

Just do two days and combine bench with squat, then bench with deadlift. Eat more protein!

Awesome. Thanks for that suggestion. Just to be sure I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying I should be benching twice a week - is that correct? If so, the second bench day should it be a light day, same weight as before or an increase?

Also any advice on caloric intake and diet would be appreciated. I would like to build some muscle but wihtout gaining extra baggage..
If I would be you I would up my caloric intake to about 2800-3000 kcal at first... macros- 220g of protein, 350g of carbs 80g of fats..
Avoid any kinds of animal fats , eat lean meats (chicken, turkey etc), avoid simple sugars and process foods (so your left with whole grains pretty much)... and voila - you will be slowly adding weight without putting on too much fat!

Awesome. Thanks for that suggestion. Just to be sure I'm understanding you correctly, you are saying I should be benching twice a week - is that correct? If so, the second bench day should it be a light day, same weight as before or an increase?
Yes, benching twice weekly in this way is fine. Alternatively, if you prefer variety, bench one workout and overhead press the other. Personally, I think that achieves a more balanced upper body. And one of the advantages of minimalist training is you can go all out - no light, no medium, just heavy. In this protocol, start your first set light and with jumps in weight work up to a sorta max (ie a real real good effort). Keep the reps high, ~10, for the hypertrophy effect. Please post your progress!

Hello, Have you tried Simple and Sinister?I have been doing it since July a minimum of 3 x a week and I can’t think of a better program that helps my BJJ. 5 days a week off BJJ is a lot and doesn’t leave A lot of room for recovery or much else

I
Hello, Have you tried Simple and Sinister?I have been doing it since July a minimum of 3 x a week and I can’t think of a better program that helps my BJJ. 5 days a week off BJJ is a lot and doesn’t leave A lot of room for recovery or much else

I have not yet though it's been on my radar. I would definitely like to try it at some point
Yes, benching twice weekly in this way is fine. Alternatively, if you prefer variety, bench one workout and overhead press the other. Personally, I think that achieves a more balanced upper body. And one of the advantages of minimalist training is you can go all out - no light, no medium, just heavy. In this protocol, start your first set light and with jumps in weight work up to a sorta max (ie a real real good effort). Keep the reps high, ~10, for the hypertrophy effect. Please post your progress!

Awesome. Thats actually what I was thinking about since your first post; i.e., bench one day and OP one day.

In terms of reps and sets. I'm still considering 5x5, with 10 lbs jumps each workout and d Cycling when I start failing on or or two of the lifts for more than a couple of weeks... basically, following Faleev's protocol for programming.

I definetly recommend S&S. I guess it depends on your goals but since I have started doing it has helped my BJJ in ways I would have not thought. After working up to 100 swings at 32kg with nasal breathing recovery between sets , 5 minutes rounds in BJJ are much more enjoyable. Plus my body feels more “ tighter” or knit together.good stuff and good luck

I definetly recommend S&S. I guess it depends on your goals but since I have started doing it has helped my BJJ in ways I would have not thought. After working up to 100 swings at 32kg with nasal breathing recovery between sets , 5 minutes rounds in BJJ are much more enjoyable. Plus my body feels more “ tighter” or knit together.good stuff and good luck

Awesome, brother. I'm glad to hear that. Yes, it's definitely something I want to try. I would like to get some coaching first though and will need to acquire some bells. Right now, I have access to barbells and it's a modality that I have some familiarity with, and I would actually really like to achieve some basic standards on the 3 main lifts as a personal goal. But s&s is on the menu as the next thing I would like to achieve. And my local gyms are just starting to open up so hopefully I can get some kettlebell oaching sessions in...

I

I have not yet though it's been on my radar. I would definitely like to try it at some point

Awesome. Thats actually what I was thinking about since your first post; i.e., bench one day and OP one day.

In terms of reps and sets. I'm still considering 5x5, with 10 lbs jumps each workout and d Cycling when I start failing on or or two of the lifts for more than a couple of weeks... basically, following Faleev's protocol for programming.
5x5 is a great balance between strength and hypertrophy. Just be mindful of your recovery and impact on your other training, as you progress toward top weight. What I liked about the Dan John two day program (which is a DeLorme / HIT style protocol) was that I stayed fresh, minimal soreness next day.

5x5 is a great balance between strength and hypertrophy. Just be mindful of your recovery and impact on your other training, as you progress toward top weight. What I liked about the Dan John two day program (which is a DeLorme / HIT style protocol) was that I stayed fresh, minimal soreness next day.
I've run a 3 day program using DeLorme and once you get acclimated to it you stay pretty fresh - all depends on how hard you go on the last set.

Just eat more protein and get it in spikes/large doses spread out about 4 hrs across the day in 30+gr doses. Keep the added fats to a minimum and keep the carbs as much whole foods as possible, plenty of fruit.

As for simple programming I have had great success with three day alternating program
week 1 A,B,A
week 2 B,A,B

A= pulling shoulder (eg upright row) / Squat - followed by - bench/ hamstring accessory (mule kick, leg curl)
B= pushing shoulder (eg OHP) /DL or Good Mornings - followed by - one arm rows/ quad accessory (sissy or hack squat, extensions)

both days finish with a few sets of abs and curls or tri extensions run opposite the "main upper body lift (bench days = bicep, rows =tricep)

If you feel a need for more volume you can add whatever on the rest days as long as the loading is light. I often throw in a short - 25 minutes - circuit with two or three exercises using about 60% repmax loading, more for conditioning than anything else. Agility footwork, HIIT, easy 25 minutes jumprope...whatever, as long as it doesn't turn into a resistance training session.

Unless it’s an off season, hypertrophy training mixed with grappling can be contra indicated. Not only does muscle building require you to fatigue yourself more then strength training, it will damper your practice and your time spent practicing will subtract from the work you’ve done to build muscle. At your height, your weight isn’t too low. I’d think strength, movement and injury prevention would be more concurrent with Ju jitsu training.

That being said, if hypertrophy is a goal. The DeLorme as @NorthCoastMiller mentioned is solid, as is The Bear. You must eat to get bigger as well. Id still recommend strength training over bodybuilding type training for you during this time. Faleev still works as a 3 x a week program as does Pavel’s 3-5 program from Beyond Bodybuilding.

I should have clarified my goals. Strength training is the primary goal not hypertrophy. Of course, I would like some hypertrophy and I imagine I would continue to see some with Faleev's routine (even with the modifications).
I just need to figure out how to eat in a way that helps me in the above goal without over or under eating - as I have done both in the past, and still haven't found the sweet spot.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom