all posts post new thread

Nutrition Cyclical Keto Diet and Strength Training

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
@patterner , I do the same but I'm not in ketosis. Well, I dunno, maybe I am but don't know it! ......certainly not intentionally or planned though.

Hello,

It has been recently proved tht if you are on a paleo diet, and then if you have to do fast, then you will be in ketosis faster than other kinds of diet. Geneticaly, we spent 3 million year on paleo (or even keto). We only massively introduced carbs in your eating 30 - 40 years ago. Currently running paleo, I have no difficulty to eat more fat than other people, but I do not take weight.

However a true ketonic diet is quite difficult to endure. For eg. at work it becomes almost impossible to eat, and so on.

I am not saying ketonic diet "does not work" or whatever, but I believe that paleo is more adapted to both fat loss, muscle mass increase, and flexibility in modern life.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I don't eat stuff with gluten. Rules out heaps of rubbish food choices. Everything else.....with the exception of cauliflower, the most tasteless and pointless piece of vegetation haha......I eat in large quantities, high carb, high fat, high protein.
The 2 biggies for me regarding nutrition are working out food intolerances, if any and eating everything else.

...but isnt using fat as energy source the same thing?

You can definitely be fat-adapted, meaning that your body is efficient at using fat as an energy source, without being in full ketosis. I see fat-adaptation as a spectrum, with nutritional ketosis at one end. By consistently eating a low-carb, high-fat diet, you become more fat-adapted. You can sit comfortably in a fat-adapted state without ever going into full-blown ketosis, which is indeed finicky. People vary in terms of how easy it is for them to get into ketosis, get knocked out of ketosis, and find ketosis to be enjoyable and beneficial. I think it's definitely worth experimenting with if you're curious--some people love it and have great results--but it does require a lot of monitoring. You might find it's not for you and/or that you get a lot of the same benefits simply by eating LCHF. You should check out Dom D'Agostino and Peter Attia if you're interested in learning more.

Last edited:
Both Drs D'Agostino and Attia are my keto gurus. I fully recommend anything they have to say with regard to ketogenic dieting.

Hello,

When you use ketonic diet, and so when you are in ketosis, your liver will produce ketones which will "replace" glucose as an energy source for your muscle.Then the energy metabolism is a bit different but the result is the same.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

When you use ketonic diet, and so when you are in ketosis, your liver will produce ketones which will "replace" glucose as an energy source for your muscle.Then the energy metabolism is a bit different but the result is the same.

Kind regards,

Pet'
Well....yes and no. A lot of tissues can use fatty acids directly as fuel. But there are some that cannot, and *those* will convert to burning the ketone bodies for fuel. There are also some that can't use either completely, such as the brain (only about 75%) and your red blood cells.

I'm not on keto yet, starting with around 100 grams of carbs using just veggies and fruit and slowly working my way down to the 20-40 gram range. Looking to drop around 25 pounds by June without using a metric butt ton of cardio.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom