all posts post new thread

Nutrition Cycling creatine

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Rayhzel

Level 3 Valued Member
Does anyone have any experience with cycling creatine? Or know any good articles about it?
It does make sense to not use it, if you aren't using heavy weights. However I am looking to expand my knowledge about this.

It's easier to just take a small dose once a day 5-10mg, than come off of it and have to go through the loading phase of 5-10mg, 3 times a day. Examine.com is the best resource for unbiased, scientific, supplement information. 99% of the stuff out there is useless, very few strength supplements are proven effective. The supplement industry is worse than the fitness industry in that way.

Hello,

@Rayhzel
If I were you, I would not take creatine as a supplement. A balanced diet is enough for that.

However, did you consider taking protein (whey...) or BCAA ? This has worked for me until now. I reached plateau on different exercises and additional protein helped me to get better performance and recovery.

You do not need a lot.

Kind regards,

Pet'

yes, examine.com is a great resource.
I've tried creatine a few times now, convinced that it is safe, convinced of the science, convinced that maybe the last time I tried it it didn't work because I got the dose wrong/bought crap stuff or something else. I can say with total conviction that it has never worked for me, at all. Nothing. No change. Not that I've conducted a double blind trial under lab conditions but comparing times being off and on it, zilch.
Apparently there are non-responders. I must be one of those or be non-responderish. Or I already make enough endogenous creatine from my food. It is the only supp I've tried, apart from regular vit D, extra strong for scotland.
So who knows. No reason to doubt the science on it or others' experiences of it, just didn't do anything for me. Apparently too, small doses are good for recovery, not just in terms of power output but neuro logically. Again, zip for me.
It follows, creatine is a bunch of amino acids manufactured by the liver and kidneys. Eat well, healthy liver and kidneys? All is tickety-boo. Liver a bit dysfunctional, fatty liver, overburdened by excess s*it to deal with perhaps creatine manufacturing isn't a priority for it? Perhaps it's lost the ability, perhaps it needs a reboot? And then there's the use it or lose It adaptations. So if you train, in good health and have an abundance of mitochondria in some type 2b muscle fibres, is there any need for creatine supps? And if you do take it and it doesn't work, it could be that you simply do not need it, all your bases are covered by food, your liver and frequent practice of S&S or any alactic/aerobic training.....maybe. Dunno. Either way, for whatever reason, it doesn't work for me. Liver and onions, steak and kidney pie, anyone?

I've tried the creatine, it seemed to help with energy levels and recovery..maybe...a little bit. I still have a third of a bottle in my pantry that's about 4 or 5 years old.

The only supplement I can vouch for is Amino Acids/BCAA. Even that only does a little, but when I was training very hard and could tell small differences in performance and weight gain, it correlated exactly with small improvements to both.

Creatine most likely will not have a perceivable effect, but will help you push a little harder, and get a few extra reps or seconds to trigger the adaptive response, and that is the whole point of training, right. Beta Alanine is another proven effective supplement for this purpose, and works well with creatine in a pre workout. Start with a small dose you get an itchy, tingly feeling that can be distracting if you take too much.

I have reluctantly started taking pre- workout again after about two years. I need a boost of energy, and motivation to train after work. Two things I have been lacking in the last few months. Black coffee is not enough lately, so I am pulling out the old tricks.

Another vote for examine.com. They have a good page on creatine.

I take taurine, creatine and bcaas (when training fasted). All are backed up by studies on Examine and for me give a noticeble difference in recovery and pushing out the last few reps.

The biggest gain I've noticed though has come from adding a tin of sardines everyday and Liver twice a week. Omega 3 and B Vitamins are huge for physically active people.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom