all posts post new thread

Barbell Daily dose deadlift and grappling

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

marcelotine

Level 4 Valued Member
Would Daily Dose Deadlift work with 6x days/week of grappling (as if 6x days of grappling isn't bad enough). I'm trying to get six days of training in to make up for the lost ten months which makes it quite impossible to lift weights at all and i have been trying to find something that could possibly work. Your thoughts?

I think it would be a bit much , but you never know unless you try. Remember grappling is a training stress on your body(and a hard one at that)

Daily Dose Deadlift, for me, never takes away from other priorities. I haven’t found another way to get that volume at a moderately heavy weight (75%) in so little time and with minimal interference in other areas of my life.

But, I don’t grapple 6x/week. As Steve would say, YMMV.

How does Daily Dose DL's work? Grappling is very hard on the lower back, so maybe that combo isn't great?

How does Daily Dose DL's work? Grappling is very hard on the lower back, so maybe that combo isn't great?
Google this

Daily Dose Deadlift site:strongfirst.com

and you'll find the article so that you can read it for yourself.

-S-

I’d recommend pulling “narrow sumo” for the regular days, then either conventional or full sumo (whatever your preferred stance for heavier pulls) for the heavier days. “Narrow sumo” is how you’d yank someone by the gi anyway, and it spreads the load to the hips/legs as well as the spinal erectors (which conventional emphasizes).

As a fellow grappler and one that wants to make up for lost covid time...I feel for ya! I have a question, what is your goal in training?

I am assuming you are asking me what my goals are for lifting? To be stronger, healthier as an independent goal, achieve a better DL; and also to be stronger and helathier grappler - mitigate injury. The DL happens to be one of the best exercises for grapplers and for general strength, and the program seems the best I can find that will to with my schedule. Though I don't know if I can muster the will power to do both every day.

I might have to notch it down on grappling as that will likely not be very sustainable - I can already feel the dreaded elbow tendonitis kicking in, a wretched companion.

I am assuming you are asking me what my goals are for lifting? To be stronger, healthier as an independent goal, achieve a better DL; and also to be stronger and helathier grappler - mitigate injury. The DL happens to be one of the best exercises for grapplers and for general strength, and the program seems the best I can find that will to with my schedule. Though I don't know if I can muster the will power to do both every day.

I might have to notch it down on grappling as that will likely not be very sustainable - I can already feel the dreaded elbow tendonitis kicking in, a wretched companion.
Yeah, six days a week sounds like way too much - I'm 34, in good shape (Simple, just completed the 36kg, heading on 40kg) with no injuries bugging me, and I would not last two weeks on that schedule!

I would suggest the TGU as a different excercise to think about. It's a lot more "full body", and a good way to bullet proof all around. Just my thoughts!

The DDD is 75% 1RM for a few singles - that's not a big load to add for most people, and the article takes pains to mention that the program is designed to co-exist with a sport.

-S-

The DDD is 75% 1RM for a few singles - that's not a big load to add for most people, and the article takes pains to mention that the program is designed to co-exist with a sport.

-S-
You are right. It does doe that. However, it also discouraged strenuous cardiovascular activity... :)

I just started - if I can keep it up, I will report back and let you guys know how it went.

@Steve Freides Do you know what's the rationale behind 3-5 singles vs a set of 3-5 reps. I just feel to tempted to a 3-5 rep set and walk off.

Also, why 45 days? Just trying to understand the math and the thought process.

Lastly, if I recall correctly, you recently ran the program - what was your results like and how did you find it especially towards the end?

@marcelotine,

it also discouraged strenuous cardiovascular activity... :)

I see no mention of the program's article discouraging anything. Specifically, it says, "Training at such a low volume keeps you fresh for other activities, such as firefighting, MMA, or any other sport ..." The mention of VWC is funny but with a point - if you're on the border of overtraining, anyway, neither this nor anything else will make a good addition to your program.

Do you know what's the rationale behind 3-5 singles vs a set of 3-5 reps. I just feel to tempted to a 3-5 rep set and walk off.

Nothing wrong with that approach. Singles, however, are the approach I'd recommend for training for most people, most of the time. With a specific reason, and there are reasons, do all the reps as a single set if that's your choice. It doesn't take much longer - do your first rep, stand up and take a breath or three, and repeat.

why 45 days?

Training programs vary in length: PlanStrong works in 4 week blocks, the Rite of Passage is usually 13 weeks, etc. As I read the DDD, it's lifting 5 days out of 7, so those 45 lifting days would actually work out to be 8-9 weeks when you include the rest before, the max test, and some recovery days after.

you recently ran the program - what was your results like and how did you find it especially towards the end?

The last time I ran it was already a few of years ago, but after the first time I ran it, I set a meet PR - that's about the best definition of a good result there is. Toward the end? 92% isn't a big deal for a single or even a few singles.

One change I made to the program, TL;DR to follow:

To accommodate what I have noticed is my somewhat lessened recovery ability as I've gotten older - I'm soon to turn 66; I ran this program at age 63 - I spread it out over longer than 8-9 weeks by adding an extra day off day in the middle. The math can get a little confusing so I'll spell it out as I understand it and explain my modification:

As in the article:

Mon = Day 1 = 75%
Tue = Day 2 = 75%
Wed = Day 3 = 75%
Thu = Day 4 = 75%
Fri = Day 5 = 75%
Sat = Off
Sun = Off

Mon = Day 6 = 75%
Tue = Day 7 = Heavy
Wed = Day 8 = 75% again

As I did:

I turned the 9 day cycle into a 10 day cycle by lifting 5 days out of every 8 days instead of every 7, so mine looked more like

Mon = Day 1 = 75%
Tue = Day 2 = 75%
Wed = Off
Thu = Day 3 = 75%
Fri = Day 4 = 75%
Sat = Off
Sun = Off

Mon = Day 5 = 75%
Tue = Day 6 = 75%
Wed = Day 7 = Heavy
Thu = Day 8 = 75% again (note that I'm now a day behind the original plan)

That means my 6 blocks of 7 lifting days took about a week longer than the program prescribes.

-S-

I might have to notch it down on grappling as that will likely not be very sustainable - I can already feel the dreaded elbow tendonitis kicking in, a wretched companion
6x a week is a lot , especially if your rolling with people every day, I would just focus on active recovery and stretching / yoga

Day 3...I'm liking it. In and out in less than 5 minutes. So far I'm doing a set of 5 reps as opposed to five singles. This might be a keeper. Interested to see what kind of results this low volume training will yield...

@Steve Freides awesome story, Steve. You are a legend.

@Steve Freides awesome story, Steve. You are a legend.

@marcelotine, I am a performer by occupation and inclination. Many of us who are wired this way are best described by the phrase, "a legend in his own mind," (a play on "a legend in his own time.")

Happy Sunday and good lifting to you. We look forward to further reports of your run with the DDD - you might start a training log if you haven't already.

-S-

Any reason why any of the other main lifts can't be run the same way as the daily dose? And, simultaneously run 1,2, or 3 lifts?

I haven't tried it, but if you do, please let us know how it works out for you. With two lifts, my first question would be: do you make the heavy days for each lift on the same day or stagger them? My inclination would be to stagger them.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom