all posts post new thread

Barbell Daily dose deadlift program - How much additional training is too much?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

geologist

Level 4 Valued Member
I’m looking so start the daily dose deadlift program. One of my main goals is to improve my deadlift and overhead press. The program specifically mentions to not do any intense conditioning while on this program (e.g. Viking warrior challenge, marathon training). So I wanted to ask if the additional training outlined is too much extra work:

- Easy paced run or cycle 2x/week

- KB swings 5 x 10 2x/week

I’ll also be doing frequency method/grease the groove/ladders for push-ups and pull-ups and one workout of barbell overhead press + assistance, but upper body work shouldn’t negatively impact deadlifts.

General background: 30 years old, 5’10” tall, 180 lbs. My goals for the year include building aerobic endurance (run a trail marathon), build muscle, and improve strength (primarily deadlift, overhead press, pull-ups and pistol squats), but of course, I won’t train for these goals all at once. Had elbow tendinitis starting in October 2016, which is feeling much better now and which is why I will be starting chins at 4-5 reps per day 4x/week and increase by only 1 per week and use rings for the majority of pullup work. I’ve come to the realization that the only training that fits Monday through Friday are either short 15-20 minute training sessions of a single lift or frequency method/grease the groove type work. Saturday and Sunday I can do dedicated 45 min-1 hr+ workouts. Thanks.

I haven't found the DDD taxing at all. I've been doing S&S style swings several times a week - some days, only swings, other days, only deadlifts, other days, both. I'm also working on other strength things but nothing else for endurance.

-S-

Hello,

@geologist
DDD is not taxing. I did it while running the 100 daily swings + a daily dose of pistol squats and loaded chin up. It really lets you perfectly fresh

I even consider that swings help a lot to have a good progression on DDD.

A "general answer" to "How much additional training is too much?" could be:
> injury
> permanent soreness / fatigue
> loss of endurance and strength
> no progression or even decrease of performance

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

@geologist
Be careful using singles and not a set of 3. The first option guarantees a proper form and is even less taxing.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I haven't found the DDD taxing at all. I've been doing S&S style swings several times a week - some days, only swings, other days, only deadlifts, other days, both. I'm also working on other strength things but nothing else for endurance.

-S-
Steve, out of curiosity and for my future reference, how many days per week are you deadlifting. I like to see how others train for ideas. Thanks

I've done the cycle once, and I averaged 4.1 days per week instead of the suggested 5. Basically every week day but take the weekends off. When I do it again, which will be starting in about a month, I'm going to try to get closer to 5x/week.

Right now, I am doing a similar thing, a few singles every day, most days, but it's not the program and I am varying the weight as the spirit moves me. I'll do it "by the book" to work backwards from an early June PL meet.

-S-

Hello,

To echo @Steve Freides's last post : to a certain extent, Daily Dose works well with both 4 and 5 days. I used it on a 5 days a week basis for DL and 4 days a week basis for pistol with an equal success. It all depends on the recovery ability.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I saw in another post that the ddd plan can be implemented for the kb overhead press, using 2 sets of 5. Would that, along with frequency pull ups and push ups be a good idea. That would be all the upper body work I do.

Hello,

@geologist
Press and pull up are the perfect agonist / antagonist pair. So yes it can be a good idea to work on them in a single program.

Of course, it might depends on your other activities (S&S) to be sure recovering well.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hi Pet,

Personally I found the combi "press and pull (= DL)" rather sub-optimal when one or both get heavier.

Both deliver considerable compression to the spine, from different angles which possibly even cumulate risks.

My preferred combos as superset:

1. DL & dips (dips heavy or as active decompressive rest) or

2. DL & pull ups (in slings around the wrists, so I don't use my grip which I want strong for the next set DLs)

(DL: approaching 3*BW).

Cheers,

Sven

Hello,

Personally I found the combi "press and pull (= DL)" rather sub-optimal when one or both get heavier.
That is right, and this is a point I forgot to mention ! So, thanks :)

That is why it is good to know a kind of ratio : "how many pull can I do with X weight / how many press can I do with Y weight". Maybe the ratio can be 2:1 or 3:1, etc... That way, you can work with a good balance.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I'm just completing my first cycle and do the TGU portion of S&S before the Daily Dose Deadlift (acts as a sort of warm up and, believe me, the TGU's help with weight loss/weight maintenance.).

I am not sure how much is too much as I've been wanting to add a few Two Handed Swings in during the week to maintain my form. My goal in working through the Deadlift is to hit 2xBW before I attempt S&S using the Swing.

My understanding is that big Deadlift numbers don't seem to do much for overhead pressing strength, so my TGU also acts as a form of S&S insurance, if you catch my drift.

Sorry I should have added that I see the periodic 2 Hand Swing sessions as a hip hinge aid for my deadlift, not just a way of keeping my swing groove.

Hello,

@Benedictine Monk
You are right, swings are wonderful DL assistance exercise.

I've been wanting to add a few Two Handed Swings in during the week to maintain my form
2 or 3 swing sessions a week (S&S style swing) can be an option to maintain conditioning and assist your DL which seem to be your goal

My understanding is that big Deadlift numbers don't seem to do much for overhead pressing strength
This makes sense because DL uses a contracted triceps only. So it does not create press work. GUs can help you to press because there is a floor press for instasnce

Kind regards,

Pet'

So s&s in the morning and DDD at night is do able and not too much? I just got transferred closer to home which means way more sleep.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom