all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Daily dose deadlift program with KB swings instead?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

kiwipete

Level 8 Valued Member
I've been reading about the 'Daily dose deadlift program' and I love the sound of it.

One small problem... I don't have a barbell...

Could I replicate it using kettlebell swings instead? (low rep, explosive, heavy-ish perhaps?)

My goal is to improve strength with a minimal effective dose... and I'm doing my best to find ways around not having a BB :-(

Hello,

@kiwipete
I would simply go for a regular S&S.

In my humble opinion, the daily dose deadlift program works very well if we consider grinds. I tested with excellent results, with DLs, GUs, presses, heavy pull ups, bent presses.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I've been reading about the 'Daily dose deadlift program' and I love the sound of it.

One small problem... I don't have a barbell...

Could I replicate it using kettlebell swings instead? (low rep, explosive, heavy-ish perhaps?)

My goal is to improve strength with a minimal effective dose... and I'm doing my best to find ways around not having a BB :-(

- Can I cut my steak with a spoon?
- Yes, you can, but...

Just kidding. No.

Craig Marker

This is a good article by Craig; all of his article provide good information.

However, let me make one correction to the article regarding...

"Soviet Olympic weightlifting athletes did not often attempt 1RM in their training. Most of their training was done with 65-85% of their 1RM. This method is contrasted with the Bulgarian-style training systems, which rely on much heavier weights in training."

Soviet Training Percentages

Yes, the Soviet Training Percentages were based on their 1 Repetition Competition Max.

Bulgarian Training Percentages

The Bulgarian Training Percentages were NOT based on their 1 Repetition Competition Max.

The Bulgarian Training Percentages were based on their 1 Repetition "Gym Training Max".

Gym Training Maxes are lower than a Competition Max.

Thus, the Bulgarian Olympic Lifter Training Percentages were virtually the same as the Soviet Training Percentages. Source: Dr Michael Yessis research.

Kenny Croxdale

- Can I cut my steak with a spoon?
- Yes, you can, but..

Just kidding. No.

I suppose it depends on the spoon ha ha

nFju_7F3gro8CFg7AMa-UiPCxE5GKvWBSlvcOnW8s68.jpg

+1 for S&S. You can get a lot done with heavy KB swings but they won't produce the same effect as heavy barbell (or other implement) deadlifts.

@kiwipete How much time are you looking to spend training? How heavy is your heaviest kettlebell?

I realise that KB swings are perhaps a less than ideal situation compared to BB DL....

I'd like to spend 10-20min 3-5 times per week. My heaviest KB is 40kg.

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have clarified earlier in the post...the reason for asking, "Can DDDP be adapted in kind to KB swings?" is

A) I don't have a BB (but do have KB's 16,20,24,32,40kg)
B) Small dose strength works for me (high responder, low capacity)
C) I want/ have minimal time, want to keep building strength
D) Don't want to pursue S&S

If you must plug swings into a Deadlift program, use a very heavy weight.

-S-

I realise that KB swings are perhaps a less than ideal situation compared to BB DL....

I'd like to spend 10-20min 3-5 times per week. My heaviest KB is 40kg.

Less ideal for what? Both have their strengths. Unless you really need that limit strength, swings and snatches will serve you very well. They just need different programming. If you have doubles, double cleans and front squats would be worth considering.

Sorry, I should have clarified earlier in the post...the reason for asking, "Can DDDP be adapted in kind to KB swings?" is

A) I don't have a BB (but do have KB's 16,20,24,32,40kg)
B) Small dose strength works for me (high responder, low capacity)
C) I want/ have minimal time, want to keep building strength
D) Don't want to pursue S&S

Tricky. I have the same KBs (minus the 20kg) and I'm starting to find 10×10 40kg 1H swings are nowhere near as challenging as they used to be. I'm not trying to brag; it's just what happens when you do a lot of swings.

If you're looking to build strength with swings, you're going to need to progress the weight or find another way of adding resistance because a heavy bell will only stay 'heavy' for so long before you get used to it.

If you can wrap your mitts around multiple KB handles at once, you can try deadlifts with a pair of KBs in each hand (a 32 and a 24 in one hand and a 40 and a 16 in the other) but even that's only going to be effective for a short while.

Unfortunately, there comes a point where you either have to invest more time to increase your training volume with a lighter weight or invest money/space in heavier implements or some other means of increasing the resistance.

Maybe a plate-loadable handle (Hungarian core blaster) would be a good compromise. You'd have to invest in some weight plates but they won't take up as much space nor cost as much as an Oly bar. It might be worth checking out.

just to add more context and clarity..

what is your best 1-3rm in the deadlift?

what can you confidently and comfortably one arm swing for sets of 10?

I suppose it depends on the spoon ha ha

nFju_7F3gro8CFg7AMa-UiPCxE5GKvWBSlvcOnW8s68.jpg

Like I said, you can but... In this case, you may end up with a mess on your plate and a cut mouth.

Seriously, as much as I love DDD program, I think it is not a good choice for for ballistics. Daily 100 "S&S" barbell deadlifts wouldn't work too, right?

I would do e.g. this program (by Pavel):

Want a simple, but effective workout? Do sets of 10 reps on the minute for as long as you can maintain maximum power. On the surface it seems like the rest is very generous, but remember that we are after power, not “burn.”

Do your swings three times a week, varying the volume. On Friday, do as many perfect sets as you can safely. On the following Monday, do 75 percent of Friday’s number and on Wednesday 50 percent. For example: If on Friday you managed 20 sets, do 15 sets on Monday and 10 on Wednesday.

Like I said, you can but... In this case, you may end up with a mess on your plate and a cut mouth.

Seriously, as much as I love DDD program, I think it is not a good choice for for ballistics. Daily 100 "S&S" barbell deadlifts wouldn't work too, right?

I would do e.g. this program (by Pavel):

Want a simple, but effective workout? Do sets of 10 reps on the minute for as long as you can maintain maximum power. On the surface it seems like the rest is very generous, but remember that we are after power, not “burn.”

Do your swings three times a week, varying the volume. On Friday, do as many perfect sets as you can safely. On the following Monday, do 75 percent of Friday’s number and on Wednesday 50 percent. For example: If on Friday you managed 20 sets, do 15 sets on Monday and 10 on Wednesday.

Nice one. Here's the source, for those interested: How to Do the Kettlebell Swing | Men's Health

It's a solid approach. I do my swings on the minute and it keeps me from burning out or being too generous (i.e. lazy) with my rest times. Once it gets too easy, I start to shave a few seconds off each rest period. Prior to achieving Simple, I was performing sets of swings at 32kg every 40 seconds.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom